Tell me why someone would say this album is good. I just can't understand it

Tell me why someone would say this album is good. I just can't understand it.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtu.be/Y0ePfEx8dbw
open.spotify.com/track/6aRL1JFHZtvcycaJJjhqCJ
twitter.com/AnonBabble

it's a mural downtown

That album is famous for its cover. Listen to Don't Be Scared and Yip/Jump Music if you want greatness.

walking the cow is goat

I guess for me it has some of the appeal of "The Room, i.e. it's objectively terrible but it's so honest and vulnerable that it's enjoyable to listen to. You might enjoy it more if you don't think of it as "good," but instead as "effective" (at conveying emotion.

thats a good song

it's only flaw is the production value. And that isn't a big enough issue to obfuscate the positives of the album, such as how emotionally honest it is, and how well the instrumentation matches the songs. It's the least poppy Pop record recorded and shows Daniel Johnston's deteriorating psyche through weird desperate and nearly nonsensical songs interwoven with serious pleas that make up the majority of the longer tracks

What he said

It feels innocent and childish in a good way.

It is extremely overrated, but there is some legitimately beautiful and heartbreaking stuff in Daniel's catalog. It's really not for everybody though.
For example, "True Love Will Find You in the End" makes me cry because it reminds me of my family. For you, it might just sound like trash. Music is extremely subjective, so if you don't like daniel it's probably just because of your personal taste (the same reason why I like him). That being said, his critical acclaim seems to stem from the emotional power in his music, as interpreted by people like me. Sorry btw, he is too popular

if you can't understand why this album is good go listen to more overproduced stuff. this is the antithesis of what has become and it'll stand for a long time after

he is too popular. you are an idiot. popularity means nothing and if your redefinition of terms is based on popularity you dont deserve to have an opinion

I heard that song for the first time last night and for some reason I wept like a little girl. It's beautiful and haunting

thats the right thing. music is so lost and this board is lost. music shouldn't even be considered unless it presses your emotions. if you don't see. go listen to kpop and cheer .

listen to 1990 if you want better production and Dont be Scared for good songwriting

Daniel is strange and childish but his lyrics are honest and heartbreaking

I literally talked about the emotional strength of his music for 99% of that post lol, I only say he's too popular because I feel like some people pretend to like him more than they do, thus giving him an overblown reputation which repels potential listeners. As far as my appreciation for the artist, I don't care how popular he is. I was just trying to explain the phenomenon to OP

and besides, i'm pretty sure you just targeted the last 4 words of my post and ignored the rest lmfao

you're right i responded to fast. i don't like comments on popularity. i like this and it is totally unpopular. but has a heart to it. youtu.be/Y0ePfEx8dbw

i don't understand, why nobody ever talks about pic related. it's so great i'm near tears every time i listen to it

open.spotify.com/track/6aRL1JFHZtvcycaJJjhqCJ

If you listen to this and are upset about the production, the singing, or the overall “weirdness” of it all, then I’m afraid you’ve missed the point,entirely and should go back to listening to Taylor Swift’s last piece of overproduced mediocrity. If you appreciate original songwriting, unconventional instrumentation, and powerful lyricism over flashy style, you might be able to appreciate Daniel’s music for what it is.

Its like an old car thats beat up, been abused, but still reliable as all hell. Isnt flashy or new, but has some sentimental value

its more of a diary than an album.

Thats why its "unfinished"

Not OP but can I like both?

please get out of this fanbase, you're giving us a bad name

Hey Joe does that to me every time. ”I know it’s a lot more than just being bored” is so touching, that this mentally unwell manchild can just drop that and capture every banal depression I’ve ever had is beautiful

this thread deserves to live