/Jazz/

why is it that Archie Shepp, Anthony Braxton and many other Jazz figure heads of the post-Coltrane era either suck or are gimmicks. It's like they can't into good music. /classical/ doesn't have this problem (prior to the 20th century)

Other urls found in this thread:

www119.zippyshare.com/v/WTZGt7Bn/file.html
youtube.com/watch?time_continue=1&v=blmrfwPzy_g
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

some people like Nat Birchall do it kinda well

I'll have to look into him, but yeah I've been digging deeper into them more lately and they just feel like nothing you know.

Because you have shit taste?

t falls for the Anthony Braxton/serialism of jazz meme. I've literally in the past month revisited all his albums up to Five Pieces and New York, Dona Lee, Five Pieces and B-X* are the only with at least good moments. For Alto is too bloated and In the Tradition isn't terrible but most of his shit is either garbage or just fucking boring as fuck to listen to. he's like Eric Dolphy if Eric had no taste

Or you can look at people like François Tusques or Eve Risser or Joëlle Léandre, there's plenty of creative musicians not in Coltrane vein of free jazz (if that's what you're looking for, unless you're asking for more of the spiritual side)

I really liked Francois' Free Jazz record, I haven't dug into the other though. And no I've noticed the further Spiritual Jazz got from Coltranes death the more stale it gets.

well even Coltrane covers can have their own sparkles
and yeah Tusques is awesome too bad many of his records are unavailable online... I'm lucky to live in the same country as him so I can get his CDs for free at the library, otherwise I'd be fucked to get access to his music

you lucky bastard, I was so happy when I came across it on Spotify a few months ago in the US. But yeah, I feel like I should use the library more considering I listen to jazz and classical much more than I did in High School and the library would have those more so than probably a rock record or something.

lol just skip listening to jazz altogether and enjoy some trap rap or something

that's funny, because Braxton is trap rap tier Jazz

allright new year's eve is done but (and I'm warning you right now, I'm not sure of how the network goes it's been sloppy/bastardly shut down these past days) but I'm trying to upload some albums I have fro him that can't be found elsewhere (or I don't know where)
Do you have his stuff with Intercommunal free dance music orchestra ?

No I don't , his only records on Spotify are
>Free Jazz
>Octaèdre
and two various artist comps
>Freedom Jazz France
>Mobilisation générale
but no IFDMO

I think IFDMo albums are findable on soulseek and such
and Blue suit with Denis Colin on bass clarinet and Noël McGhie on drums just failed at 81 %
fuck I wonder why this is happening for the past few weeks

here it is !

François Tusques - Blue suite
www119.zippyshare.com/v/WTZGt7Bn/file.html

however, I'm sorry but I'll have to go to work tomorrow and I don't have the time to upload the other albums I wanted to give you, including a double one with nothing but Tusques solos and another with him and a prepared piano, but
if you see this, send me a message at [email protected] and I'll send you a link asap

enjoy the album

Thank you desu, very much appreciated. I will listen to this after dinner.

Denis Colin is also very interesting on hisown, although I don't know if his albums are very available on the web either
well, last post (an I haven't checked but if you think the lail adress is cheeky it is real, it's an old one I made up for Sup Forums long ago)
good night

Thanks so much user :) night

Why are you only listening to avant garde? Wayne Shorter, Sam Rivers, Michael Brecker, and David Murray are the real figureheads of post-Coltrane tenor players.

I've seen people praising them before on here, also Wayne and Sam have some great stuff. But I think Sup Forums is jazztarded (for the most part). They're more into aesthetic than good music.

>Braxton
>"gimmick"

go back to your milquetoast Criss Cross garbage faggot

Go back to calling everyone who disagrees with you a "pooinloo"

>wants their opinion to be taken seriously
>calls Thelonious timid and posts anime

dont fuck with archie shepp mothafucka

youtube.com/watch?time_continue=1&v=blmrfwPzy_g

fuck you

ok.
faggot.
enjoy not enjoying good music.

>implying Archie is good
I think your comment applies more to you

oh.
interesting.

he's talking about the Criss Cross label dummy

why would I listen to Criss Cross, someone recommended an album and it was not that good. It wasn't bad, but it had this synthesizer and it killed the songs for me.

there are good criss cross albums. walter smith iii and zach brock come to mind immediately for me

its fuckin stupid to call braxton or shepp bad or gimmicky. they are both incredible musicians who made alot of important music. and im pretty sure this is bait anyways, but a lot of people do notice a sort of void created in avant garde jazz after coltranes death. there is a period following tranes death where that community seems like it just didnt know what to do, Rollins and Ornette both made albums with tranes rhythm section after he died to varying degrees of success, shepp's music seems to have a definite dip in quality after tranes death too. Trane was just so great that his death kind of shocked and changed the music of his peers for just a little while.

>zach brock
kek

oh wow a contemporary jazz artist did something cheesy, never seen that before m8

It's really pretty sad how terrible this board has become. Even the jazz threads now have been overrun by underage kids who just want to call each other names.

>its fuckin stupid to call braxton bad or gimmicky
listen to any of his records up to where I said I've revisited (Five Pieces 1975) there is a 70 to 80% chance you'll come across shit and gimicks
>there is a period following tranes death where that community seems like it just didnt know what to do
I think that might also be why Fusion came to be, I'm pretty sure you'll go no, but in all seriousness what was the next big trend in jazz after his death in 1967, fusion.

I'll give them a shot, but that one I heard, I can't recall it but it was off putting. It would be like putting a snythesizer on the 'Round about Midnight record.