Who is your country's greatest ever sportsman?

Who is your country's greatest ever sportsman?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtu.be/j0w821Y8TTI?t=28s
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

Without a doubt it has to be this smug faggot.

Lev Yashin is the greatest goalkeeper in the history of the football. He recieved the ballon d'or.

The undisputed GOAT in pub archery.

Anthony Joshua

*blocks your path*

Get real boyos

unironically

Fond of the Dutch lads but it's Phil every time. Nobody has dominated a sport like him

But Ashton Eaton is better

Because the standard was much lower. Phil was great but he was beating up on journeymen most of the time. These days if you can't average 100 you're a nobody.

>Because the standard was much lower.
No it wasn't at all

This. If the general standard seemed low it was because he was wiping the floor with everyone

But it was. The stats prove it. They had BDO averages.

>1996 Phil Taylor (98.52) 6–4 Dennis Priestley (101.48)
>1997 Phil Taylor (100.92) 6–3 Dennis Priestley (96.78)
>1998 Phil Taylor (103.98) 6–0 Dennis Priestley (90.75)
>1999 Phil Taylor (97.11) 6–2 Peter Manley (93.63)
>2000 Phil Taylor (94.42) 7–3 Dennis Priestley (91.80)
>2001 Phil Taylor (107.46) 7–0 John Part (92.58)

STFU you dense Paddy bastard

Why do Americans give all their late night show host gigs to Brits?

they've been told all their lives that british humor is superior and now they believe it

This guy is a Brit? I've only ever seen his youtube thumbnails but I assumed he was American because he looks like a fat Englishman.

Thing is tho that people like John Oliver utterly failed in the UK, but then went to the US and became huge stars over there.

Literally no.

John Oliver can successfully pose as an intellectual in the USA. He would get eaten alive anywhere else and exposed as a left wing shill.

I wouldn't say he utterly failed.

I was living in England 10 years ago and knew who he was.

But he made a decision to break America so did a bunch of comedy clubs in NYC and took any movie that would cast him no matter how shit.

>almost as if he's a member of a certain kind of influential club that networks and helps each other out behind the scenes

Eventually he made a name for himself and American cucks love agreeing with the ultimate British smuggy.

>I wouldn't say he utterly failed.
He tried to make it here and didn't the grand sum of his work was appearing as extras or on a shitty panel show that was well past its best.

Baffled he's become popular in the US.

wtf are you smoking. This proves my point.

No it doesn't you fucking child-molesting daft spudnigger

James Corden didn't fail but isn't always the most popular.

I had never heard of him until he started appearing on youtube doing his little bits about the Trump election. Also, he just isn't funny.

>averages were lower
>"wahwah no they weren't"
>posts low averages

How fucking thick are you?

so why is taylor not dominating anymore?

Not like darts is a really athletic sport. Truth is MVG is just superior.

You claimed they were BDO averages, which are in the 80s/low 90s, never in the high 90s/100s, you fucking stupid bog-trotting IRA spacker.

And PT's final average of 110.94 in 2010 is the highest there's ever been

You're clueless and out of your depth here, Mick. Tome to fuck off

>can't make a point without childish cringy insults

you don't have any friends do you?

This guy is so cringy. He is just fat and very unfunny.

And I'm not even memeing

You can always fuck off back to your safe space, you little beta bender.

No one is making you read the posts on here.

Not Merckx?

>And PT's final average of 110.94 in 2010

I never said Taylor wasn't a quality player (I literally said "Phil was great" in my first post). I said the competition was weaker which is a fact you proved yourself. He beat guys throwing low 90s in a bunch of finals. Let me spell that out for you because you seem a bit dense. He beat guys who are of a much lower standard than the guys playing today.

You've made a fool of yourself on the internet. Go sleep it off

You claimed the standard was lower, then claimed the stats proved it as they were hitting BDO averages, which they weren't. Claimed "These days if you can't average 100 you're a nobody"

All of which is utter bullshit.

>He beat guys who are of a much lower standard than the guys playing today.
Like Garry Anderson? Won in 2015 with a 97.68. Or Adrian Lewis in 2012 with 93.06 beating Andy Hamilton who averaged 90.83?

Clueless fucking dopey green manlet. Cromwell didn't go far enough.

unironically tom brady

He was poluar in the UK before with The Bugle doing pretty much the same schtick

Really? What about Lewis, Phelps, Ali, Jordan, Sampras, Woods, Nicklaus?

>john oliver
>ever popular in the uk

idk I dont even like American Football and I kinda feel like he's right

I think Phelps or Ali. If we're talking team sports then Jordan.

Personally, I'd have said Ali, not inly as America's greatest sportsman, but the world's.

>an average under 100 is good for a world championship final

lmao.

all the top players today would absolutely fucking destroy all the top players from the 90s. Gary Anderson averaged 105 in this years and still got wrecked 7-3

Anyone who says otherwise is just wrong

>won the US Open 4 times
>won the British Open 3 times
>retired when he was 28
>was only a part-time golfer and was a career Amateur
>was the greatest sportsman in any sport:
In the first round of the 1925 U.S. Open at the Worcester Country Club near Boston, his approach shot to the 11th hole's elevated green fell short into the deep rough of the embankment. As he took his stance to pitch onto the green, the head of his club brushed the grass and caused a slight movement of the ball. He took the shot, then informed his playing partner Walter Hagen and the USGA official covering their match that he was calling a penalty on himself. Hagen was unable to talk him out of it, and they continued play. After the round and before he signed his scorecard, officials argued with Jones but he insisted that he had violated Rule 18, moving a ball at rest after address, and took a 77 instead of the 76 he otherwise would have carded. Jones' self-imposed one-stroke penalty eventually cost him the win by a stroke in regulation, necessitating a playoff, which he then lost. Although praised by many sports writers for his gesture, Jones was reported to have said, "You might as well praise me for not robbing banks."

SeeYou witless shit

Didn't he missed a game once because he didn't wanted to fly with a non smoker flight.

>You claimed the standard was lower
>2008, 2009, 2010 total number of players with tournament average of 95+ = 14
>2015, 2016, 2017 total number of players with tournament average of 95+ = 43

the overall standard is much higher than it was even 10 years ago. you'd have to be clueless not to acknowledge that. darts players are getting better and more professional every year. its been on an upward path since the 90s

what does he do?

this thread is about sports, though

cheat

some "obscure" winter sports athlete like ole einar bjorndalen probably. definitely no one in a major sport.

Youssef Al Thunaian. He was ahead of his time

youtu.be/j0w821Y8TTI?t=28s

*gets in bunker
>hurr durr racing is not a sport