Why can Star Trek do "diversity" right but Star Wars can't?

Why can Star Trek do "diversity" right but Star Wars can't?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtu.be/2BBOWsWODX4
claremont.org/crb/article/the-politics-of-star-trek/
tor.com/2012/01/06/occupy-starfleet-10-politically-minded-trek-episodes-that-still-resonate/
trekmovie.com/2012/01/16/top-10-star-trek-episodes-dealing-with-tolerance/
davidabanks.org/current_projects/social-themes-in-star-trek/
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sexuality_in_Star_Trek
ibiblio.org/jwsnyder/wisdom/trek.html
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

HUMAN'd

Scotty should have piped that alien lassie

bad thread alert

Star trek beyond original series was a mistake.

Because so far (this'll probably change with the new series) ST diversity has been about everyone getting on with each other and not caring about things like race and offensive language. In fact Roddenberry said the differences of the characters aboard the Enterprise is what made them strong.

youtu.be/2BBOWsWODX4

SW diversity is about cramming as many minorities into the main cast as possible and then having them beat up evil white oppressors with zero difficulty.

because they have different perceptions of diversity.
Star Trek diversity embraces the idea of beings from other worlds
Star Wars diversity is just more black people

I think you might be mentally challenged if you think that either of these things are any different.

I bet she has a crush on him

>youtu.be/2BBOWsWODX4

well abe wasn't wrong

They really aren't though.

In Star Trek the differences between races (in humans and aliums) were often highlighted positively and the different characteristics of the crew members were meshed together to create a strong fabric that would overcome adversity which was often systemic or environmental in nature (the kinds of problems we misconstrue as being political or racial today).

In Nu-Star Wars a cast of racially diverse rebels take down whitey and his oppressive Empire. But the thing is it doesn't matter to the overall story that the cast is diverse. Finn or Rey could have been played by an any actor of any race or gender. Nothing would have changed in the movie if they were white, asian, black etc. They didn't use their race as a tool to win out over oppression because even mentioning their race would have been seen as bigotry.

This belies a deeper, more twisted racism on the part of Disney than I've ever seen on Sup Forums. It doesn't matter what you can DO because you're black, it only matters to them that you ARE black. Ultimately this line of thinking just promotes racial division in the popular culture when you cast movies like they do.

It's a shame you've clearly never watched any Star Trek. It could've helped you grow as a person.

Which recent star trek movie has characters making their race relevant in a more meaningful way than in the star wars movies?

Why can't alt rightist just accept the fact that diversity is good and you should let it happen?

star trek beyond, where sulu's gay race is emphasized in a controversial scene

In the JJ Abrams movies when Sulu knows how to use a katana and karate because he is Asian and that means that he knows how to use Asian weapons and martial arts.

nice

Kek.

Underrated

Because Kirk, Spock, Bones, Chekov, Scotty, et cetera are established characters.

The new Star Wars films are full of donut steels so Disney can color by numbers.

>Sulu knows how to use a katana and karate because he is Asian
Man this got on my nerves. He mentions "fencing" training, obviously a callback to TOS, but he uses this flip out samurai sword. You don't fucking fence with a katana. For a guy who "loves Asians" JJ sure loves to stereotype them.

>star trek
>movies mattering

This is what I mean. You've clearly never watched any Star Trek.

In the OG series there was some of that overtly (that youtube vid I posted) and some of it as subtext. You could get away with that in the 60's. In TNG which they made in the mid 80's PC culture was on the rise so they couldn't be overt about human racial diversity and had to reference it tacitly, typically by using alien races as analogies for human nations and cultures. In the context of a racially diverse crew the subtext here is pretty obvious. This is not me reading too much into things. Roddenberry stated quite explicitly that this was his intention.

And like, 50% of Voyager was about two groups of conflicting people getting along to survive on a perilous journey. Some of this was hamfisted but hey, Voyager was far from perfect.

Are you suggesting Star Trek has done diversity right and Star Wars has failed? Or that fans are accepting of Star Trek diversity but reject Star Wars diversity?

In Star Trek, were the Star Fleet captains all portrayed as white supremacist Nazis?

Chris Weitz wrote "Please note that the Empire is a white supremacist (human) organization."

Then again, people like Melissa Harris-Perry say "Vader is totally a black guy."

Look into the motives of why the writers did what they did. J. J. Abrams simply wanted to win diversity points. Gene Roddenberry actually tried to do something groundbeaking.

for most of Star Trek's history, aliens have been humans with funny looking foreheads

Star Wars had a fucking squid as the Rebel Alliance's fleet admiral

Because Star Trek is about those kinds of social issues. Star Trek is a sci fi series where the human race of the future got its shit together and started exploring space and largely put their past behind them. Often star trek episodes will revolve around political, social, racial, or scientific misunderstandings and the diverse cast of humans and aliens and robots or w/e will work together to figure that shit out. It's a show largely about those issues and moving past them so it's a more natural topic there. It's also been there from the start. Roddenberry was pretty fucking bold to put a Russian on the bridge of a starship in a TV show during the peak of the Cold War, and he wasn't there by accident. It was to send a message of inclusion.

Star Wars on the other hand is a fantasy setting about good vs evil and heroes journeys with magic and swords and knights and shit. It's supposed to be about as political as Lord of the Rings or King Arthur. All the political shit is being applied to Star Wars instead of originating from within like with Star Trek. "Why are there no Asians in Star Wars?" Who cares, they're space aliens in a galaxy far far away a long time ago, it doesn't matter. If there weren't Asians in Star Trek that would be an actual issue.

>Why can't alt rightist just accept the fact that diversity is good and you should let it happen?

If you think diversity is so good, why don't you live in Brazil?

Maybe just maybe Brazil has lots of other problems beyond diversity.

>making Sulu gay for no reason.
I mean, yeah its funny that even in the future Asians men can only get Asians and gays still adopt Chinese kids, but the scene felt forced and unnecessary

Racist.

>tv show mattering
Oh wow, I am so incredibly surprised that in a tv show with literally hundreds of episodes there are more opportunities to delve into racial relations than in a movie.

0.001% of Voyager was about the conflict between Starfleet and Maquis.

>diversity is just about what people look like

pretty fucking racist bro

lol that probably had more to do with budgets than anything else, tbqh

That would be apt if Star Wars or Nu-Star Trek tried to delve into those issues even a little bit more than not at all.

I hope you die

I've seen a bunch of star trek episodes where nothing even remotely related to race was brought up. Thanks for confirming that star trek fans have a reputation of complete spergs for a reason.

Because there is no diversity its a code word for MORE NIGGERs in media.

It was more than that bud.

There was also getting along with 7 even though she was Borg, tolerating Neelix's bulllshit, accepting Harry despite his autism, interracial relationships, Chakotay's "muh people" and that one episode where they tried to save a bunch of psychics from the ESP holocaust,

It's not the point of EVERY episode but it's established as a theme of the show so that when they defeat space monsters or whatever the power of their cooperation is reinforced.

Goddamn you're an obtuse faggot.

But Uhura was black.

It's also possible that you have autism and are thus incapable of noticing subtext.

Watch some Data episodes. They might help you.

Are you dumb? TOS had a whole episode about race, specifically the half-white half-black faced people. There were multiple episodes of DS9 which were specifically about race. Far Beyond the Stars is one of the most well known episodes you pleb

Okay. Why don't you live in the most diverse neighborhood in the most diverse city in your country?

Or do you just like to win virtue points by proclaiming your love of diversity online, which requires you to not actually do anything or actually live among diversity?

I'm definitely not autistic enough not to see a difference between a robot and someone of another species.
>hurr why don't movies do the thing have the same thing that was established as a theme in episode 282 of season 18
too much autism, I'm out of this thread

>are you dumb
>there are these two episodes I listed among hundreds how could you have missed them
what I said here x100

>not understanding the difference between a theme and a reference

ur dum

>I know fuck all about something but I pretend to be an expert

How exactly is Star Wars doing diversity wrong? Is it because the lead role isn't a white dude? Why does this make you guys so butthurt?

what the fuck is this fucking thing? a fucking shell head?

yeah dudes this is totally what a fucking intelligent crustacean would evolve into, and also they use the fucking shells for a place to live you fucking god damn idiot writers

also why is dennis from always sunny in this

claremont.org/crb/article/the-politics-of-star-trek/

tor.com/2012/01/06/occupy-starfleet-10-politically-minded-trek-episodes-that-still-resonate/

trekmovie.com/2012/01/16/top-10-star-trek-episodes-dealing-with-tolerance/

davidabanks.org/current_projects/social-themes-in-star-trek/

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sexuality_in_Star_Trek

ibiblio.org/jwsnyder/wisdom/trek.html

Literally 10 seconds of google. Fucking retard.

I agree theres no excuse for this in a big budget blockbuster, Abrams should have rebooted star trek from the ground up like planet of the apes.

Blasted leftist alert.

yeah, brazilians

This

Star Trek's aliens were defined by characteristics not by looks so much

The Klingons are really different to the Romulans and the Borg

fucking half of ds9 is kira bitching about how cardassians tried to fucking genocide her people what the fuck is wrong with you

Bullshit half the episodes revolved around the Bajoran genocide

>for no reason
oh come on, there was a reason, this is the smallest thing to complain about

The world of Star Wars is quite obviously diverse, what are you talking about? This feels like a lazy implication that Star Wars is bad because in its world discrimination exist, even though Lucas obviously goes to great lenghts to emphasize the ambiguity of who the good guys are and what they should be doing.

Because Star Trek was doing diversity from the very beginning. Star Wars is overcompensating and bringing about its own doom as a rresult

I, what?

I meant its bullshit saying half the episodes revolved around the Bajoran genocide

I mean there's a good chunk of episodes that do but there's also good chunks of episodes dealing with Quark and his shenanigans and Worf and the Klingon empire

ps im high on painkillers right now fuck my brain up

The reasons J. J. Abrams did it were simply to check off a degramphic quota.

That cynical ploy to appeal to people with virtue signalling is what's wrong.

It's not that the story called for it, it's that the corporate executives wanted liberal brownie points from SJWs.

Affirmative action makes people butthurt because it's fundamentally racist.

star wars is dead move on

Yes, Star Trek is the masters of dumb fucking alien costumes that make no sense

my god but that looks beautiful

>It doesn't matter what you can DO because you're black
that's the definition of racism

Yeah, did you miss the part where user was calling Disney racist?

>multiculturalism on Trek
Everyone cares a lot about their ethnic background and cultural traditions

>most other versions of multiculturalism
Have different people forced to live in the same area and become bland nondescript consumers of mass culture

Because the bad guys aren't white. Except for the Cardassians. But they did literally nothing wrong.

Thank you for reinforcing his suspicions with a political shitpost