There’s none of the Shakespearean space politics, enticingly florid dialogue...

>There’s none of the Shakespearean space politics, enticingly florid dialogue, or experiential thrills of the best of George Lucas’s “Star Wars” entries (“Attack of the Clones” and “Revenge of the Sith”)

newyorker.com/culture/richard-brody/rogue-one-reviewed-is-it-time-to-abandon-the-star-wars-franchise?mbid=social_facebook

APOLOGIZE

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=5c7jNYpPFzE
youtube.com/watch?v=wxL4pzuwSUQ
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

No.

>Lobotomized and depersonalized, “Rogue One: A Star Wars Story,” the latest entry in the film franchise, is a pure and perfect product that makes last year’s flavor, “Star Wars: The Force Awakens,” feel like an exemplar of hands-on humanistic warmth and dramatic intimacy. Sure, J. J. Abrams’s movie offered merely effectively packaged simulacra of such values—but at least he tried. The director of “Rogue One,” Gareth Edwards, has stepped into a mythopoetic stew so half-baked and overcooked, a morass of pre-instantly overanalyzed implications of such shuddering impact to the series’ fundamentalists, that he lumbers through, seemingly stunned or constrained or cautious to the vanishing point of passivity, and lets neither the characters nor the formidable cast of actors nor even the special effects, of which he has previously proved himself to be a master, come anywhere close to life.
I'm sorry, George.

I'm going to add Richard Brody to my list of kino critics who are okay. It now goes

>Armond White
>Dan Schneider
>Richard Brody (probationary listing)

where's RLM?

White is shit though you fedoraman

little jelly of george's hair tbqh

I literally miss George Lucas' Star Wars.

I'm sorry George.

I'm not watching a 45 minute youtube video each movie to get the opinions of the guys who disliked Pain & Gain.

You're shit
>inb4 muh obamas
Anybody who says this doesn't know White's writing at all.

>of the best of George Lucas’s “Star Wars” entries

>you will grow bald long before your hair turns that glorious

White is the greatest film critic of this era, you are just angry that he sees your man baby entertainment for what it is.

Idk what the fuck you are talking about with obamas but Armond is shit

Like when people post a 7/10 positive review of his out of context? The fucking OP is praising Brody for praising the prequels. Critics can like popular things amongst all films

>Armond White
*tips*

In reality you shouldn't need any critic nor should you agree with them always anyways

>you shouldn't need any critic
You just know everything don't you
>nor
flips trilby
>should you agree with them always
I disagree with White's hateboner for Steve McQueen.

>You just know everything don't you
No. But one definitely shouldn't need any critics to make up their mind or change their mind about anything. If you cant discern by yourself whats good and bad thats on you

>Attack of the Clones

Is this some elaborated troll?

>The script of “Rogue One” is so flat and inexpressive, the direction of the actors so methodical, as to render these artists nearly robotic and synthetic.

He's literally describing the shitty prequels that he praises

disney shills get out

I'm sorry! :(

the prequels had no redeeming qualities other than the music

get fucked you millennial sacks of shit

>the best of George Lucas’s “Star Wars” entries (“Attack of the Clones” and “Revenge of the Sith”)

This meme has gone far enough

Hes right

2>5>3>4>6>1>>>>>the soundtrack was prime williams and in need great but so was the settings, story and visuals compared to most blockbusters

youtube.com/watch?v=5c7jNYpPFzE

Where were you when you realized the prequels were vastly superior kino?

:( in the theater watching them. even saw the phantom menace nine times when i was eight

I'm sorry George. If only we knew.

>that march up the steps to the Jedi temple

The purest of kino.

Who says that I use critics to make up or change my mind? Critics write about movies because they know movies, or at least they should. Armond White and Dan Schneider are great because they are more articulate and knowledgeable than every poster on Sup Forums combined. Their reviews provide context and at times clarification which can help to understand what you've seen.

its actually pretty frightening how much new starwars is mirroring the prequels release reception
except faster because dumb spinoffs
how hard are people going going to 180 on them when the next episode is out and it's a mirror of episode 5 but with worse everything?

Okay but knowing movies doesn't mean you necessarily appreciate them when done properly for every genre or every material. It's why there are so many differing opinions on star wars. Armond is no different from a majority of critics who get it right and wrong, no matter what their review states its still personal.

Pleb detected

Considering how the Sequels have a serious lack of charismatic characters it will probably crash pretty hard

You're right, but there are fedoras here.

Fuck off you contrarian prequel loving faggot

>contrarian
They got positive reviews and genuine star wars fans enjoyed them

Most people liked the prequels though

FLOP WARS
L
O
P

W
A
R
S

holy shit this flick aged like shit. I mean it looked shit when it came out, but now it looks like a fucking videogame

If you arent watching the original bluray encode idk what you expect, its actually very much watchable still especially compared to shit tier blockbusters being made that mostly have crappy cgi anyways. Its aged better than lotr, which besides fellowship has aged badly

4>5>6>7>prequels

>Okay but knowing movies doesn't mean you necessarily appreciate them when done properly for every genre or every material
I think it makes it a hell of a lot more likely though.

>it's still personal
kill yourself, art can be objectively measured and anybody who tells you otherwise is an insecure pleb. And learn to use a fucking apostrophe. Your posts are giving me a headache.

I burst out laughing 3 different times during this.

>"Melissa McCarthy shines in this clever action-comedy showcase provided by the writer and director Paul Feig, but the movie's tightly contrived plot and uniformly positive emotions constrain her comic genius." ‐New Yorker

I don't because everyone is different and like I stated a critic has zero bearing on anything when dealing with art. Getting upset are we, no it cannot be objectively measured besides being commonly thought good or bad. Keep your pleb talk to yourself. Brody is a pleb

Hahahahahahahaha

I disagree with probably 85% of what White says, but I can always appreciate his point of view.

Thats fine, thats what they are for not to be lauded

It's so dense.

I dream of a day when movies will have emotional depth like this to them again. It's so unafraid of its own absurdity that it does a does a 360 and leaps into bittersweet kinotastic tragedy. Fuck, I'm crying. Look at the betrayal on all their faces.

youtube.com/watch?v=wxL4pzuwSUQ

for all the flaws, there's something beautiful about how simple and sincere it is.