Hey Captain...

>Hey Captain, remember that time when you lived for what seemed like several decades in a simulation caused by a probe from a lost civilization and had a wife and children within it?

>Oh yeah I forgot about all that Will, I guess literally living half another lifetime in my mind just wasn't that important. What was my wife's name again?

Captain Picard isn't a weak minded brainlet like you, OP.

What does it matter it was a simulation like you said.
Would you get emotional about holodec characters?

>they were a good friend

Because you spent what seemed like decades of life with them and thought it was real the whole time? You'd think he might have PTSD or something, the whole thing was pretty fucked up if you think about it.

>It's a Data violates the Prime Directive because he wants some alien loli pussy episode

That never happened and you fucking know it. Date only goes for human loli.

*Data

He learns to play an instrument within the simulation (a fucking recorder) and keeps playing throughout the series. The fucking recorder even gets him laid. That and the story about living a while other life.

He didn't forget.

As this user said he didn't forget but also its fake dude and picard knows that.

>guy is in space battles and intergalactic dirt encounter situations constantly
>guy is abducted by alien races, some brainwash him, others torture him
>one alien abduction has him living a peaceful life with wife and family I side a simulation that to him passes in real time.
>the simple life simulation is what should give him ptsd

user...

Are you autistic? It doesn't really matter if it was "real", he still expirienced it all in relative real time.

Ehh, O'Brien seemed to get over the fact that he basically spend a lifetime in a prison pretty quickly.

Refresh my memory about this, what exactly happened to him?

I thought it wasn't a simulation, it was Picard being projected into the persona of the person whose experiences were recorded in the device?

Nah m8. He just took the red pill and forgot about it.

It seems that you are autistic.
It mayters because it was basically someone elses life he lived through.
Do you think that you are a videogame character after playin said game?

That's one way to put it but the important thing is that he lived someone else's life.
It would be like playing very immersive 3d game I guess.
Basically picard knows that it wasn't something he really did some other guy millenia ago did it ajd he experienced the same things.
After he was out of it life would continue as before for him.

It was a DS9 episode. O'Brien did something on an alien world in the Gamma Quadrant and was punished by having 25 years of an awful prison experience implanted in his memories. They even threw in a cellmate who tired to help him learn to deal with it but he ends up killing him after going mad. He then has PTSD about the whole thing when he gets back and starts to hallucinate the guy he killed. It ends with him breaking down about the whole thing with Julian and him going to get treatment for it. In true Trek fashion it's never brought up again despite being a major thing to happen to the character.

The whole actual point of that episode is that Picard never had a family of his own. Suddenly he gets to understand what that feels like. He lives a full life, and then returns to his old one.

As much as I hate Generations, that is why the Nexus had such a hold on him at first. He chose a career over starting a family and as much as he fucking LOVES his career that is probably the regret that will always cut the deepest for Picard.

but he could still squirt hot loads of cum in a sexy 20 year old and have a few kids

B...but DS9 is a serialized show that has deep continuity, are you implying they hit the reset button?

It's very different from playing a video game or a holodeck program because he eventually accepted the reality he expirienced and believed he really was Kamin, and also because it relitively lasted for FUCKING DECADES WITH NO INTERUPTION.

He went to sleep and woke up thousands of times and had years and years worth of expiriences in there. You can't write write it off and be like "whoops, it all wasn't real lol, back to my life as Picard!" Everything about it at the time seemed no less real to him than the reality he expirienced in his actual life.

The realization that it wasn't real and his family for all intents and purposes is dead (because they never existed) should give him PTSD, you dumb fuck.

They did it before with O'Brien when he was going through that weird temporal shit involving him trying to save himself from being killed by a sabotaged electrical panel. Ends with the original dying and his future/past self replacing him and no one says a thing afterwards. Just like Harry's death in Voyager.

That use to annoy me in Farscape too:

> Hey, let's spend 3 years on a tropical planet offscreen only 3 months after the start of the show and NEVER mention it ever again.

> Hey, I spent an entire life living and growing old with you yet while remembering everything I will never mention it again or even get to know you better than I did.

You know whats really fucked

The transporters just erase the original person and fabricate a copy every time

not how transporters work in star trek

He doesn't forget about it though. He brings it up occasionally and there's full follow episode.

Bare in mind by this point he's also been broken assimilated by the Borg to destroy a whole fleet, been captured and tortured by the Cardassians and targeted and mentally tortured by terrorist Ferengi.

Dealing with the loss of that civilisation was small fry.

>Hey Miles remember that time you lived for what seemed like several decades in a simulation caused by an alien race that convicted you of a crime you didn't know you committed?

>Oh yeah I forgot about that Bashir. I guess literally living out an entire lifetime of imprisonment wasn't that important.

nope, proven false

Didn't know that. I'm rewatching the whole series right now and just saw the episode, I didn't remember them mentioning it when I was watching reruns on TV. Guess I'll see him mention it aoon enough.

Sure they say in the show the body and mind are turned into data. They even tricked the transported into fixing a rapid aging virus by placing older DNA of the person and having the brain place into that new body.

Nope it's correct

Wrong, it's false

>THERE ARE FOUR LIGHTS

what did he mean by this

how do you torture a captain of a spaceship

why didnt he just say it

I strap him to a table and get some cute dabo girls to squat over his face and let out big farts, but I blindfold him so he can't look at their butts and vaginas and I set up a little fan to blow the farts away, he can hear the farts but he can never sniff them

Because he's a stubborn sob

you're a fucking monster

He didn't think it was real to begin with.

He resigned himself to living it, but always had knowledge beyond the society in the simulation. He grew to love his family of course, but there was a point in which he had the grief of their loss, but he also knew in the end that it was a way for them to be remembered. He dealt with the loss in other episodes and mentioned it as one of the most profound events in his life, but it was bittersweet since he did get to live a while life and was appreciative of that, it wasn't entirely traumatic. Or even more so than what he goes through in a season finale.

He didn't know he was going to be able to return to the enterprise minutes after he fainted, he thought he was going to die with the rest of the planet. He couldn't look at it that way during his time there, all his senses and everyone around him were telling him that he was always Kamin, he was never Picard, and that his life on their planet was the one, real, true reality, not the biggest and most elaborate mind rape designed to teach him about their lost society. He probably questioned whether his life as Picard was a huge delusion brought on by his fever like everyone was saying it was, either way he eventually had to accept that he was Kamin and that he would never return to the Enterprise again. You're assuming he had the benefit of hindsight before he knew anything for certain and that it would all work out and he'd be Picard again but still have all his memories of Kamins life.

Ptsd is after/post.

This is what we are talking about.

Maybe they erased that memory? They are currently capable of erasing minds so i'm sure in the future they are even better at it and can erase specific memories.

Yeah I always wondered if Picard forgot his command codes and shit while he was in there

Yeah, no big deal, right?

He was trying to convince the other guy that had the remote to the electrical collar to see four lights when there were in fact five.

I don't understand how he could've been so wrong.

but they did exist, as much as you do, user

i like better when the whole crew turned into animals, worf killed some people, then next week theyre all fine for the next episode. i love this show.

He's right you know?

>Betazoans are REEEEEEs
How?

>but he could still squirt hot loads of cum in a sexy 20 year old
thats what the holodeck is for, chump

It's false.

You can argue all you want about how transporters might work in the real world, but within the fictional world of Star Trek, it's false.

Her father was Human and her mother was HOLDER OF THE SACRED CHALIC OF REEEEEEKS

they use a shrink ray

look, i don't mean to rain on your parade but not only is it true, it will always be true and you will forever have been wrong in a very obvious and tiresome way.

but we don't dislike you user. we just pity you.

>Reminder some half assed experimental treatment by Dr. Crusher to treat some minor ailment of Barkley caused people to start de-evolving
>Reminder that everyone on board was effected, including all the families and their children
>Reminder that it was confirmed multiple people were killed during this incident
>Reminder that Beverly was joking around afterwards and showed no remorse
>Reminder that this is the same woman who acted righteous because some doctor wanted to give an experimental treatment to a quadraplegic Worf that could fix his shattered spine because it was "too dangerous"

Hey Sup Forums, quick clarification:

Is "we"-posting considered to be ironic shitposting or unironic shitposting?

Written by Brannon Braga.

>Sure Number One, remember when you adopted an alien child? At least I keep playing that flute sometime.

Plain Shitposting.

The "royal we" has always been shitposting.

>Super evolved into a salamander? Simple to fix that.
>Devolved into a spider monster? This hyprospray should do the trick.
>Transporter turned you into a 12 year? We'll have it undone by the end of the day.
>Want to be turned into a woman and then back into a man? No problem.

>Wait, your leg got blown off and you want a new one? What, do you think we're miracle workers? Be happy with your 24th century equivalent of a peg leg.

nice concession speech.

better luck in 2020 pal. also where was your evidence?

come at me im ready for a 200 post battle

He truly was O'Brien's apprentice.

Missed these types of posts in trek threads.

His prosthesis was supposed to be just like a real leg in all functions.

His limp was entirely psychological. Ptsd.

Yes, my point was that it would be pretty traumatic to find out that the last ~30 years of seemingly real life you expirienced, along with your wife, children, grandchildren, and friends, all turned out to be an illusion.

How long would it take for "Kamin" to adjust to being Picard again after all those years? Wouldn't his head be filled with thoughts of his family and how they weren't really his family, but pre-recorded projections that only existed in his mind? You really think it wouldn't take years to adjust and return to normalcy?

Btw I know that of course all the logic in Star Trek doesn't make perfect sense and that's fine, but we're having a laff of Sup Forums greentexting about plot holes and I don't think you're fully imagining what it would be like for Picard in that situation.

user, all this years i know my waifu doesn't exist and i haven't any problem at all, I'M NOT CRAZY!

Beverly was just jealous that one bitch could cure Word when she already gave him a diagnosis of cripple.

Beverly is very hypocritical and probably the worst doctor of all Trek.

>Word

I also hate when my phone changes Dukat to Ducat.

Ducat devalued nothing wrong.

It affected him profoundly.

But you act as if he didn't remember being Picard.

He grew to love his children and wife and gave up going back to the Enterprise, but he was aware he lived a life that wasn't his own.

I mean, I would think he needs retraining at that point because of the relative time that's passed since he last took up his duties, but this is a man who withstood cardassian torture, his mind invaded combined with involuntary surgeries from the borg and a mind meld with a senile Vulcan that left him coping with feelings many times more intense than humans usually hold. He has the coping skills and perspective to cherish what happened and accept his grief. The purpose of his experience was a legacy left by a long gone people, who wanted their culture to be known and given the importance only having loved can, with Picard all about ancient people it was clear that he felt humbled and honored at carrying that within him.

>His limp was entirely psychological. Ptsd.
You'd think they'd have a treatment for that. Like some sort of hologram therapy that's guaranteed to break so they could spend an episode saving that person and fixing all their problems in the span of a day

I'm sure they do.

Unfortunately, the counselor they had on DS9, while very cute, was terrible at her job.

Nog refused to talk anyways.

daily reminder that Sicko gassed an entire planet to get to one guy

He made it uninhabitable for humans.

That's all, other species would be fine.

And they had ships and ample warning.

Nobody died.

>criminals occupy your house
>police want to use tear gas to get the criminals out
>"No, you can't use tear gas! If you do then YOU'RE A SICKO!"
You right now.

>And they had ships and ample warning.

Yet, if we forget these stories are written a certain way and pretend the writers stopped after Sisko fired on the planet, we realize a lot could have happened to allow those people not to leave the planet and end up dieing horrifically.

Just because it didn't happen doesn't mean it couldn't have nor could you make an assumption on the likelihood of such an outcome given that all we know is there are Maquis members on the planet with, what Sisko assumes, is working transporters and ships.

He assumes a lot when he fires on the planet so really he very easily could be a mass murderer given that lack of assuredness on his part or anyone else's.

It's THE one episode where Sisko was unarguably wrong given that.

>Criminal is on the run
>Police nerve gas his hometown, and then say they'll nerve gas every city he likes until he gives up

B-b-b-but it's slow acting nerve gas so everyone can get away in time!

it's okay, only white people lived on that planet

>police want to use tear gas to get the criminals out
>"No, you can't use tear gas! If you do then YOU'RE A SICKO!"

That's actually a false analogy because that situation implies a hostage situation, people willing to use deadly force on you, not some uppity citizens who make it a point to remain on moral high ground.

Try another analogy.

Captain. I recommend a full spread of torpedoes!

>Captain, the alien vessel is hailing us.

Worf
>Captain, I reccomend we go to red alert, raise shields, and fire a full spread of photon torpedoes!

Dr. Crusher
>Jean-Luc, we should permantly disable all of our shields, give them unrestricted access to our computer, life support, and weapons systems, and beam over all of our children below age 12 to them! We just don't KNOW that they don't use humanoid virgin blood as an energy source!

Everybody on that planet was a criminal.

He was just getting the criminals to move somewhere else.

>Everybody on that planet was a criminal.

This is bad semantics.

A kid who gets caught with pot is a criminal. A guy in Thailand who accidentally steps on money is a criminal.

There were children on the planet who weren't criminals.

ONCE AGAIN, please try again with better more grown up analogies.

>The writers wrote that Sisko was right, but if we pretend that the writers wrote Sisko as wrong then Sisko would be wrong.
Really makes me think.

Wow, how terrible living decades in a sim where you had a loving wife and family. I feel awful for you, Captain.

>Everybody on that planet was a criminal.
Because the Federation signed a treaty giving up their planets?

That's fucking 18th century autocratic thinking of provinces as nothing more than the playthings of princelings to be traded after their pointless wars. Hardly very progressive.

>criminals take their kids with them to a criminal hideout
>cops come with tear gas to evict the criminals
>"Oh, but they should leave the kids behind." - some nut on Sup Forums

Read this part of my post and respond.

>after Sisko fired on the planet, we realize a lot could have happened to allow those people not to leave the planet and end up dieing horrifically.

>Just because it didn't happen doesn't mean it couldn't have nor could you make an assumption on the likelihood of such an outcome given that all we know is there are Maquis members on the planet with, what Sisko assumes, is working transporters and ships.

>He assumes a lot when he fires on the planet so really he very easily could be a mass murderer given that lack of assuredness on his part or anyone else's.

>It's THE one episode where Sisko was unarguably wrong given that.

they didn't hit a reset button, they just didn't address it again. TNG, DS9 and V are great in that regard. they have episodes that fit in nicely, have nothing to do with the overall story, but continue character development. the episodes that don't fit in are some of the best episodes.

>He made it uninhabitable for humans.

how would you like if someone made earth uninhabitable for you? for a lot of those people its all they've ever known

Future therapy, nigga.
I aint gotta explain shit.

The inner light started Picard's character arc that ultimately culminated with him joining the poker game at the end of All Good Things and you're a fucking pleblord if you don't realize how much he changed.

You misunderstood the episode.

The planet was colonized by the criminals AFTER they became criminals.

>criminals take their kids with them to a criminal hideout
>cops come with tear gas to evict the criminals
>"Oh, but they should leave the kids behind." - some nut on Sup Forums

Is a criminal a person who fires on innocent children with a deadly nerve gas that would kill them actually a criminal?

Or is a jaywalker the real criminal?

YOU DECIDE ON FACT OR FICTION!

>criminals AFTER they became criminals.

Yo dawg, I heard you like to call everything and everyone a criminal so we put some criminals in your argument so you could criminal your way out of criminal.

i actually liked this show a lot

>Very awful indeed.