hardcorefornerds.tumblr.com/post/457486357/velveteenrabbit-abloodymess-slint
youtube.com/watch?v=9goATSN-xXw
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

write actual criticism

preach

easy

ye

This x100000

I will never understand this meme, even after several complete listens.

It´s Bitch Magnet played dumber and with bad vocals

>Muh sadness and distortion

In order for an album to be overrated, I think the general public has to at least half give a fuck about it. Nobody gives a fuck about Spiderland, it's 2018. It's an ok record, you spergs jerk off to it too much tho. It's good, not the greatest. It's good. The most overrated album is probably Dark Side of the Fucking Moon, which was also fucking great. As great as it was I'm tired of hearing about how good it was.

9 replies and no mention of Radiohead yet. Step your game up Sup Forums

I win

alright whatever I guess I'll be the one to defend it. Buy some new headphones you fucks because somethign aint right with yours if this is overrated. best shoegaze album of all time. listen to it louder or something

>no no you don't understand, if you play REALLY loud it becomes good!
Then it isn't good. I have great headphones, it's just shoegaze that sounds like shit.

If this is the best shoegaze album maybe shoegaze as a whole is overrated

Dark Side of the Moon, like objectively. Back when I used to smoke weed I met sooo many stereotypical stoner/Dadrock bros who worshiped that album like it was the second coming of Christ, then you try to talk to them about Animals, Meddle, or Piper at the Gates of Dawn and they're like "lol wut?" Only became legendary because it was the designated album to get high to for so long.

I've got $500 cans with really balanced specs across the EQ range and I don't understand the praise either. I prefer basically every successor to it (within reason, I think the songwriting on this is still dece)

the people saying this or spiderland are overrated are the kind who open threads
about how Blink-182 wrote the greatest punk songs
or some untalented rapper whose main fanbase is 14 year olds that smoke those electric cigarettes
i couldn't care less about their opinion

man, I forced myself into shoegaze and disliked this album on my first listen to it. After going through 30+ other shoegaze albums and coming back to this, I really enjoyed Loveless but maybe thats because so many other bands are just mbv clones and I came back to the original

dubs of truth

That's the main reason I think it deserves the praise. It inspired a legion of bands to try and do something similar but most of them didn't even come close. Say what you want about the music itself, but you can't deny how influential it was/is.

Low-hanging fruit but by no means wrong

Because it's good and hip hop is the dominant genre. Like or not, nerd.

DAMN and Brockhampton are what piss me off right now, but for all-time it's probably Thriller.
I love Loveless but it's funny how this is always the response to criticism of it

pet sounds

Agree. Sung Tongs, Feels, and SJ are all better.

I don't get what people see in this album honestly

It's not bad but most if not all Kanyefags think it's the best album released this decade.

this album is one of Kanyes worst

hello there

we took you to a home. remember? exactly, you don't

these deserve all the love that they get.

these are most definitely overated

this is str8 trash

imagine being so fucking stupid that you actually can't understand spiderland or loveless. lmao

Nosferatu Man > Don, Aman > Washer > For Dinner > Good Morning Captain > Breadcrumb Trail

I understand that they are shit albums lmao

how high are you my dude? Good morning captain > Don, aman > Washer > Breadcrumb Trail > Nosferatu man > For dinner

Man, I like Loveless and Spiderland as much as the next user, but if you're going to even bother engaging with the naysayers, at least have some kind of of argument.

Actually, I'm relistening right now, and you're right, I put For Dinner a bit too high, but honestly, I never liked Good Morning Captain as much as everyone else. It's neat, I guess, but I don't think the ending is nearly as dramatic as everyone makes it out to be.

>t. "hip hop is actually the best kind of music but you have to have a large IQ to understand it"

Idk after listening to the album so many times I always seem to come back to good morning captain

and ye for dinner is real good just doesn't have the same emotion as the rest IMO

Probably pretty high because he's listening to Spiderland.

Lil Pump gucci gang is unironically better than spiderland or loveless and if you disagree you're just a tryhard rockist redditor.

Alright, I guess I'll be the first to post an actual bad album

The only musical genres, hip-hop and post-rock/shoegaze rock.

Putting words in the user's mouth that have nothing to do with the conversation you're having is a pretty low blow. If you can't defend Loveless or Spiderland with actual logic to this guy, maybe you don't like them as much as you think you do.

nah.

Good morning captain>Breadcrumb Trail>Don, Aman=Washer>Nosferatu Man>For Dinner

user this is EPIC. THIS IS EPIC

>you need to defend perfect albums using Logic (tm)

lmao

Amen, op. This album is so fucking terrible. Lo fi garage rock on top of some of the worst vocals I've ever heard. They're inexcusably bad yet people lap that shit up.

Michael Jackson's Thriller, The Beatles' Sgt Pepper, Nirvana's Never mind, Dr Dre's The Chronic,

i made that joke because he said "lmao" which is a total ghetto twitter meme

i'm not saying you have to like those albums, but the only people who would claim they don't deserve the praise that they get are the people who either:
1. know nothing about rock history and are therefore oblivious to the enormous influence that both albums had
2. don't like rock music and have dismissed all of it as a whole

>this thread
kys brainlets

came here to post this

then name some good shoegaze

How deep in your own echo chamber are you?

First off, lmao has been an acronym since the damned internet existed. Fucking chat rooms in the 90s had people throwing around lol, and by extension, lmao.

Secondly, influence =/= quality. Elvis was important to rock history, but his music doesn't hold up today to most people. Sure, it deserves praise, but nobody should be obligated to claim it's any good just because it was important.

He just said he doesn't like shoegaze.
>it's just shoegaze that sounds like shit.

>Secondly, influence =/= quality
nobody is arguing about objective quality jackass. this thread is about claiming that something is "overrated" aka "not deserving of the praise that it receives"

Alright, fine. Fair enough, you're right. In that case, explain why Spiderland was so influential.

here's a review that steve albini wrote for it in 1991
hardcorefornerds.tumblr.com/post/457486357/velveteenrabbit-abloodymess-slint

even if you disagree with what he said, it's obviously a record that had a huge influence on him. and he went on to record 99% of the important rock albums in the 90s, taking inspiration from spiderland

also you can hear elements of spiderland in nearly every mathrock and post-hardcore release

sublime review. i agree with almost everything he says

>Mathrock
>Posthardcore
Two absolutely shit genres. Maybe we'd gave been better off if Spiderland never came to be if it would mean saving us from that drivel.

>being this mad that you lost an argument
nobody cares about your garbage opinions

Im not the user you were talking to, faggot. Slint is still shitty though. Do us a favor and kill yourself so your shit opinions will die with you.

what are your top 5 albums of all time

There's like 3 good songs on this thing. Even MBDTF is less overrated IMO.

thread

Crystal Castles -S/T
MBV -Loveless
Radiohead - In Rainbows
Swans - Soundtrack for the blind
Pavement- slanted and enchanted

/thread

Nah, this one's alright even if I prefer Fear of Music. Side A's pretty overblown, though. Always preferred the back end personally.

decent taste. but you're still a closed-minded faglord
listen to this. youtube.com/watch?v=9goATSN-xXw

Alright, once again, fair enough. You win, and you're right. Thanks for taking the time to explain yourself. I'll give this review a read.

That's not me. Personally, I'm happy I actually got someone to explain their stance, unlike 90% of the time on this website, where the most constructive argument or logical music discussion we get is a smug reaction image.

Kill yourself

I was just fucking with you, tool. I just looked at the front page and grabbed some artists at random. Why haven't you killed yourself yet? Are you having trouble finding the bleach?

well, it's been almost fun trying to have a music-related conversation with you. i wish you the best

Why are you on this board?

learn to understand what makes music good before posting here again

What makes music good, user?

a bunch of things. one of them is raw self expression, another is originality. the vocals on spiderland exemplify both, which the person I was responding to did not seem to understand.

Interesting. So do you believe that if Spiderland were made today instead, it wouldn't be as good, because ostensibly, it wouldn't be as original in today's day and age?

Something about the concept of originality being a measurement of quality rubs me the wrong way. I think it's because it implies that it wouldn't hold up as well in a cultural vacuum.

ah i remember being an edgy 14 years old shitstain. kys faglord

Name a 2010 album that was better.

Overrated ≠ bad. Being overrated is never the musicians fault and certainly not the music's fault, it's those that listen to it.

Agreed

this thread is low iq motherfuckers' circle jerk fest

Probably one of the most painfully boring listens I've ever had the misfortune of bearing. The entire album feels like a collection of ultra-repetitive, generic chord progressing filler tracks from a throwaway mama's & papa's album.

Went on for 20 minutes too long, more of the same uninspired nothingness. A complete and utter waste of time and without a doubt a true sign that anyone who claims this album a "masterpiece" gave it one listen on DUDE WEED LMAO or actually has a cognitive deficiency akin to severe mental retardation.

Final thoughts are to strongly consider suicide if you even muster liking this album. You are less than human by IQ alone.

it'll click for you one day, buddy.

most underrated RH album kek

The absolute fucking state of Sup Forums

You dont like it != overrated

Sensible, if debatable, answers

Even if you don't like it, understand the influence it had

Cant.

its unpleasant to the ears

agreed even thought they are all great

fuck off
/thread