Now that the dust has settled

How the fuck did this become the highest grossing movie of all time while leaving literally zero cultural impact?

Other urls found in this thread:

chud.com/21969/project-880-the-avatar-that-almost-was/
youtube.com/watch?v=8pvUQeVmQB8
variety.com/2016/film/features/sigourney-weaver-avatar-alien-1201930389/
twitter.com/AnonBabble

Simple. It was ultimately too shallow.

The antagonists were thinly drawn.

Also I disagree with the ending. If she really loved him, she should have accepted he was human.

lol

Because it was a remake. Remakes are never culturally significant.

>HOLY SHIT DUDE YOU GOTTA SEE THIS NEW TYPE OF 3D!!! ITS AMAZING BROI!!

now multiply that by 500 million people.

thats how

Everyone watched it for the 3D.

Nobody cared much for the actual movie, it was a gimmick-based pitch. Which is why the sequels will bomb unless they go VR.

>ITT: Butthurt haters being butthurt about the #1 Movie Of All Time That Changed The Cinema Forever

0/10 cry more kiddo.

There's gonna be sequels?

I recently read something on Project 880 and some sequels that add more depth to the world could work out pretty good.

chud.com/21969/project-880-the-avatar-that-almost-was/

nobody will want to wear a second hand virtual reality headset that stinks of the last mouthbreather who wore it.

theater VR will never take off

>zero cultural impact meme

It's a stand-alone movie what the fuck do you expect.

So was Inception but people talked about that for years.

Everyone forgot about avatar the minute it was out of theaters.

Nice anecdote retard.

not even true try again hater

>Bladerunner
>2001 A Space Odyssey
>Apocalypse Now
>Jaws

need any more stand alone movies that made huge social impacts ?

It was around the first push for modern 3D movies, but the real answer is that people who make these things happen decided it would be because James Cameron. It was a hoax.

Ok you're going to have to define what the fuck a "huge social impact" is specifically. At this point it's just the cultural impact meme.

Explain to me exactly what cultural impact is and why it's a big deal.

It changed cinema for the worse

I'm not the same guy, but I think it just generally means people talk about it and like it, ya know? A fanbase.

Avatar was just 2 hrs and forgotten.

Not Jim's fault the jews used post processed 3D to inflate their shitty films. Avatar was 3D done right.

The techniques used in Avatar are nothing short of amazing and are all 100% function.

Its just that they're expensive and require a lot of dedication, so everyone else just went for cheap after-effect 3D and jacked ticket prices.

Now look at those films he mentioned, when do normies ever talk about these? Now I'm doing the anecdotes but they fucking never bring old films up ever.

Nice logical fallacy bro

0/10 you're just butthurt

So...it changed cinema for the worse

I thought it was sweet when she actually saw the real him. And then the movie chickened out.

Idk if you're trolling but even the normiest of normies knows Jaws and who directed it at least. The other 3 are popular in all but the normiest of normy circles.

its not guilty of the changes, the people making bad copies are

What your point, is this the fault of Jim Cameron, or those who shoehorned it into their films in post process?

It's obviously an indirect effect calm down spergs.

Be specific please, who cares if they know who directed it if they never bring it up.

Are you talking maybe once a year someone will hum the jaws shark scene music? What do you mean. Be specific.

>nobody remembers abatap

no wonder, most people here were like 12 when avatar came out and abatap was posting.

It's really no surprise this is Sup Forums 0.5

i member

So it's just a coincidence that James Cameron made the only good 3D (tech wise) movie JUST when they were pushing again for 3D? And you think he thought every studio would spend that kind of money? Sure. James Cameron is responsible for this 3D trash.

The 3d was breddy gud though

Yeah the jaws theme being synonymous with sharks qualifies as "huge social impact"

Apocalypse now is referenced in every war video game ever

Blade Runner has tears in rain

2001 has Hal9000

I just choose to forget. Seriously, FUCK that guy.

It was the first 3D movie to do 3D right. The ticket sales were a premium price.

No other reason, really. The 3D meme train died down and is no longer as profitable.

I'll give you the first two, not the last two.

Now can you tell me why this is a big deal? Great films like Blade Runner and 2001 don't have a "social impact". Avatar should have a running meme because it made so much? Films are rated well if they have 1 meme that lives on, is this a joke.

>James Cameron's reputation
>good worth of mouth
>price of 3-D tickets
>stayed in theatres for a long time

there you go

> Every installment in the Alien series after Aliens has sucked
> Every installment in the Terminator series after T2 has sucked
> Pearl Harbor was an unsubtle attempt to ape Titantic and it failed
> No film has utilized 3D as masterfully as was done with Avatar

No one seems able to properly imitate Cameron. How can one man be so based?

I'd barter with you for Hal, but I see your point.

His overwhelming talent can't be matched.

Only problem is Avatar wasn't a good movie. Everything else stands.

it was a fantastic tech demo with a passable script and decent actors

I'd say it averages somewhere around good

Avatar is an unmatched kinoma experience that nothing in the last 30 years has come close too.

Watching Avatar in cinema was incredible, sure the story and acting wasn't the best, but the story was purposely simple. I have not been so immersed in the cinema as I was when watching Avatar, it's almost like I travelled light years away to Pandora with just $12.

Passable script? Pocahontas in Space? D+ is the highest grade I would allow.

tech demo?

This implies that it wasn't a finished product.

Literally stopped reading before I finished the first line. Take your unfunny waste of netcode somewhere else.

>literally
why don't you close this tab and go back to where you came from scum.

Tech demos in graphics look better than finished products.

while everything in his post is stupid, I must say it was a real delight to see a scifi space ship with huge ass radiators

that design is just top-notch

Tech demos usually aren't the length of a finished product.

>sure the story and acting wasn't the best, but the story was purposely simple

Didn't Cameron admit that was the point?

Wasn't there originally supposed to be much more depth to the story and characters but Cameron removed it so that it wouldn't distract from the visual experience?

After Abatap I have Avatar shitpost PTSD, sorry man. Please just be aware some of us have seen some shit because of this movie.

Avatar was an experience in cinema you had to see, there is nothing stupid about saying that.

Also based Jim got the help of a top space engineer to actually design the ship.

>t. butthurt hater

cry more

Yes.

Here is Cameron addressing the Blue Pocohontas meme.

6 MINS 50 SECONDS
youtube.com/watch?v=8pvUQeVmQB8

I never watched it in 3D

What are my options for viewing it in 3D? I'd have to buy a 3D compatible TV or find a private cinema to screen it, right?

Yeah a lot of it is in the link in

Honestly you missed out, I've got a feeling there will be a limited release of Avatar before the sequel arrives. Just wait for that.

its 3D was designed for theater experience
sadly there's no real way to emulate that at home

>can't accept a simple apology

Who is butthurt here?

3D was the new thing and this thing apparently had good CGI and 3D, so I went to see it. I'm sure, it'spretty much the same for everyone.

I'm very interested to see how the new movies will do in the BO. The story has to be good this time and the CGI phenomenal or I'm not going to see it.

>implying I'm the guy you were even talking to

[this is what butthurt haters actually believe]

Save us Abatap

Huh. I genuinely thought I hated this movie but now I feel a little excluded.

LOL well memed friend @_@

>Everyone watched it for the 3D.
I didnt. In fact I never watched it

thanks i was trying my best

>It's a stand-alone movie
Arent they making like 8 sequels?

The CGI wasn't even surpassed in the new Warcraft movie, some-fucking-how.

That bastard was literally more than 7 years ahead of his time. Imagine what the next ones will be like. I have to keep my hype under control, even if it's not an original story.

As of now it's a stand-alone movie, Jim's making 4 sequels (shooting them all at once).

Visuals are what makes films successful, but what kind of cultural impact are visuals supposed to leave?

Cameron made a mistake by turning this into a franchise though, this isn't like other properties which are easily rehashed.

>Jim's making 4 sequels (shooting them all at once)
The absolute Madman

The fact the second may have a top notch story is where the real hype comes, it's going to look amazing, that we can be certain of.

The Jim quote is real.

variety.com/2016/film/features/sigourney-weaver-avatar-alien-1201930389/

"In my opinion, the three scripts I’ve read so far are many times more amazing than the first one in terms of their scope. He did a lot of the heavy lifting in the first movie, establishing the family and the relationships and the world, and now he really gets to play."

He said he wants to emulate what Peter Jackson did with the Lotr Trilogy, but with his own twist. As in do it properly.

>implying Avatar is anywhere as good as the LOTR trilogy
kys

>implying that LOTR is in any way good

See you at the midnight opening friend.

Avatar is a silly action movie for normies, I dont get why this board acts like its so amazing

why get angry now? if he fails, sure then he fails, but if he somehow pulls it off shouldn't you be happy you're getting another quality movie trilogy?

Honestly, Reddit. The movie gets judged to ridiculously high standards for no reason, and the "Avatar is Pocahontas" meme spread too far on 9gag etc. in the early 2010s, being adopted by reddit and then Sup Forums very fast.

Avatar isn't the second coming of Christ, but it sure isn't the mess tveddit profess it to be. A raging autistic tripfag shitposting for 20 hours a day a few years running didn't help.

It doesn't have its own MCU either, and the public has a VERY short memory,.. plus seven years ago is practically a generation/childhood. I remember being blown away by it when I was 11.

Fact is 90% of normies and 50% of autists were blown away by it when it came out.

Consider me fully erect. I don't mind waiting 8 or 9 years if it shatters my ballsack with sheer orgasmic awesomeness.

I've always thought it was a joke. Is it not a joke?

well I didnt like Avatar 1 so I dont see liking what ever comes next, user. Theres too many sequels these days anyways

Something something #1 movie something something changed the cinema forever.

then you're free to watch another movie

there's plenty coming out

Tickets cost double.

I want to marry beautiful blue alien!

just 2 more years

it was an anti-human pro-race mixing pro-alien species miscegenation anti-capitalist hate film held together by feeble environmentalist mythology

see, the problem I have with this is that the avengers movies have likable and interesting characters. Avatar didnt. So if you fucking love Avatar and hate Avengers then youre basically saying that acting and characters dont matter

I really enjoyed the 3D. I saw it at least twice in theaters, maybe three times. The story was average. I really liked the smokey tree scene, and how instead of just using the 3D to throw shit at you (like how every movie before and after it did), they used it to pull you into the scene.

>avengers
>interesting characters

lol

Yep. Sup Forums must love it

>I liked how the autistic handsome guy didnt talk much

My post was good you fucking niggers now give me (You)s or I'm contacting my contacts at Sup Forums and having Sup Forums deleted

Why don't you kill yourself, you two faced reddito.

not an argument

Blade Runner being the defacto aesthetic for cyberpunk.