Young Americans > Station to Station

Young Americans > Station to Station

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=Gqtp1tvpkBk
youtube.com/watch?v=6pyv3y_wBFc
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

Nah, but Young Americans is definitely underrated and deserves more respect.

He's right you know

honestly Hunky Dory bests all of them

75-76 Bowie was sexy as fuck let's not lie here.

I cannot understand why people like Young Americans. Can someone please explain it to me because that album sounds like liquid shit coming through my speakers.

1977 bowie was a fucking dream

Really good vocals from Bowie along with some really nice soul instrumentals.
Good transitional album between Diamond Dogs and Station.
Best examples from the standard edition of the album are Fascination and Somebody Up There Likes Me, but if you ever get the chance listen to the string version of Its Gonna Be Me which almost made the cut but instead that god awful Beatles cover had to be on it.

>Good transitional album between Diamond Dogs and Station.
I mean those are all true except for that but I don't come to Bowie for soul.

If you only come to Bowie expecting one genre then you’re going to the wrong guy.

He was a transitional artist. He’s bound to do a genre or two you don’t like. Must just be a period you won’t get the hang of.

I mean don't get me wrong I love the Berlin trilogy as much as the next guy and I am a sucker for his first album and I don't want to pigeon hold the dude but soul was not his calling.

[spoiler]Checked[/spoiler]

I like 70-71 Bowie.

It's an interesting experiment that goes beyond most relationships white artists have with black music. The problem is that he was obviously on a lot of coke, not really a good enough singer, at that point, to pull it off (way too often devolves into crooning) and a lot of the songs just blur into each other. Fame is a great track though and Fascination doesn't sound like anything else

David Bowie: Young Americans [RCA Victor, 1975]
This is a failure. The tunes make (Lennon-McCartney's) "Across the Universe" sound like a melodic highlight, and although the amalgam of English hard rock and Philly soul is so thin it's interesting, it often overwhelms David's voice, which is even thinner. But after the total alienation of Diamond Dogs and the total ripoff of David Live, I'm pleased with Bowie's renewed generosity of spirit--he takes pains to simulate compassion and risks failure simply by moving on. His reward is two successes: the title tune, in which pain stimulates compassion, and (Bowie-Lennon-Alomar's) "Fame," which rhymes with pain and makes you believe it. B-

Station to Station [RCA Victor, 1976]
Miraculously, Bowie's attraction to black music has matured; even more miraculously, the new relationship seems to have left his hard-and-heavy side untouched. Ziggyphiles can call it robotoid if they want--I admire the mechanical, fragmented, rather secondhand elegance of Aladdin Sane, and this adds soul. All of the six cuts are too long, I suppose, including the one that originated with Johnny Mathis, and David sounds like he's singing to us via satellite. But spaceyness has always been part of his shtick, and anybody who can merge Lou Reed, disco, and Huey Smith--the best I can do with the irresistible "TVC 15"--deserves to keep doing it for 5:29. A

True. Young American's great. And underrated.

all great albums mates, don't be twats and argue about them

>never balded/receded badly
god help me

why does anyone care what these narcissistic mouthbreathers think?

backing vocals and David Sanborn's sax is fucking killer throughout YA

youtube.com/watch?v=Gqtp1tvpkBk

youtube.com/watch?v=6pyv3y_wBFc

Rare Bowie and Bruce Springsteen

david should've bitch slapped him and warned him not to become a whiny faggot