What is the general consensus of this album?

what is the general consensus of this album?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtu.be/Pf3LleUYUXU
youtu.be/dk6gQ4wkbGU
youtu.be/1TqeAkUfYi8
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

mercury rev great band

most bitchin opener of all time

great album great band....

....up to post David Baker. Everyone says Deserters Songs is their favorite, pure pleb pick.

Yerself is Steam and Boces are wayyyy better when Mercury Rev was this weird loud thing.

didnt like it

very good

excellent lp
something for joey best song

mfw I'll never be as happy as this little dude, resting on a pair of big ol' titties

I see this album has the "blues" tag
Just how "bluesy" is it?

are you sure?

barely a hint of blues whatsoever

it's basically 90's indie rock on more acid than the flaming lips

could also be Meth of a Rockette's Kick or Bronx Cheer though, but solid pick

yerself is steam is the best album of all time

>tfw you will never make an album as good as this

OP here, I could see that Bronx Cheer is a clear influencer for bands like The Pains of Being Pure at Heart

>tfw when no big tiddy gf

got to know the band from The Avalanches' Wildflower, Donahue was featured in Colours.
they sound like they're on par with flaming lips?

they're basically the weirder more daring flaming lips

coyne and drozd are better pop songwriters though

Cool then

C O M F Y
O
M
F
Y

>they sound like they're on par with flaming lips?
The guy who wrote all the songs for Mercury Rev was in The Flaming Lips and Mercury Rev's bass player has produced almost all of Flaming Lips records

dave fridmann is an amazing producer

I've never heard it, nor will I ever

Your lose mate

this is one of my all time favorite albums

another instance of a band i didn't care much for when i first heard, but is now one of my favorites.

I love Mercury Rev. Absolutely love them

Yerself is Steam
Lego My Ego
Boces
See You On The Other Side
Deserter's Songs
All is Dream

All great albums

does it have guitars and singing ?

No.

Yes

Holy shit Mercury Rev thread. The Rev is one of my all-time favorite bands, been waiting for some discussion around here but it seem's like no one's ever heard their stuff.
They started to drop off around The Secret Migration, but those first five albums are some of my favorites ever.
Yerself Is Steam and Boces are both personal 10/10s, See You on the Other Side is also fantastic and super underrated
But I always thought splitting the band into two halves over David Baker was kind of stupid, I love Deserter's Songs and All Is Dream too
Anyone else really like both eras of the Rev chronology?

You can't have serious Mercury Rev discussion here because it's mostly snowflakes trying to prove they're aware of the "David Baker era" (even though he wrote none of the songs)

I agree that the secret migration is where they started to fall apart

A shame. Holes, The Dark Is Rising, Vermillion, and Tides of the Moon are among their best songs
Not to mention SYotOS is amazing...

Tides of the Moon is one of their most well written songs and so is Nite & Fog.

What people don't understand (and I had this discussion with Dean Wareham maybe 6 or 7 years ago) is that Jonathan Donahue always wrote all of the songs. The first two Mercury Rev albums were mostly a product of Donahue and Fridmann's production.

What exactly has David Baker done since he left Mercury Rev? He put out a "solo" record under the name Shady in 1994. Except he didn't write anything other than the lyrics. Kevin Shields brother Jimi wrote it.

He was in a band called Variety Lights a few years ago. It was terrible.

He's spent most of his time working in a record store in Chicago since he was thrown out of Mercury Rev.

Foster Child: While you were on tour with My Bloody Valentine, did you interact with them at all.

David Baker: Interact?

FC: Hang out, discuss politics, eat breakfast together?

DB: Midnight munchies. They're very nice people. I don't remember how we met, but they asked us to play in England and we played one show. We really don't play that many shows. We've only played six in the U.S. So far. We've taken eight trips to England.

We did play one show with Bob Dylan. I don't think anybody at that show remembers us playing except for the fact that there were six people on the stage making them deaf.

FC: Where did you play with Dylan?

DB: It was at Yale University. We played our regular stuff for 2000 people who didn't know we were going to be on. We figured it was the wrong thing to do to play with him because we're not like him. But we figured that it would make sense.

FC: But, in a strange sort of way it does.

DB: Yeah, it kind of did. The crowd was old and young. It was the young republicans sitting there getting mad, and screaming at me afterwords, yelling 'You fucking shattered my ears' or something. And then this old guy, maybe about 50 years, grabs me and I'm going 'Oh shit, maybe this is big mistake.” But he goes 'That was fucking awesome. I haven't heard anything like that since Hendrix.' So it was the older people, the ones who talked to us, who seemed to like it. The younger ones were saying 'That's not music.'

It's like the norms always change and the weird thing about it is that it is almost like a cycle. I remember being a little kid and there was this conversation at this person's house and they were talking about how Dylan wasn't a singer. It's weird how something like that seems off kilter, like Dylan's voice, can later be acceptable 20 years later.

On a related note, what are your thoughts on this?

Some of the songs are OK but it's not very good.

it's amazing and something for joey is my favorite song of all time (but if my name werent joey it might not be)

They've still got it

youtu.be/Pf3LleUYUXU

>Jonathan Donahue always wrote all of the songs
Interesting, I've always seen Donahue as the face of the band but wondered how much Grasshopper contributed
It seemed like the original lineup of Rev was just a couple friends who just kept adding people to the lineup because they liked them
I remember hearing that Suzanne Thorpe wasn't originally "in the band" but she kept showing up and smoking/playing with them so they just eventually called her a member until she was demoted into the orchestra pit
I also remember hearing Baker's primary role/interest in the band was working on the music videos
I always thought of Baker sort of like Ronald Jones in the Lips - not exactly an integral member, but the bandleaders took his exit as an opportunity to change the band's sound

Well, that's the thing. Most of them hardly even knew each other.

Donahue was living in Oklahoma.
Baker was living in Baltimore.
Suzanne and Grasshopper were living in Buffalo.
Jimmy the drummer was living in Brooklyn.

Early on they were hardly even a band. They just sort of put some stuff together. Grasshopper and David Baker's primary function was working on the videos. Donahue and Fridmann primarily worked on the music.

Now it's all Grasshopper and Donahue. I listened to parts of their last two records and they were just so awful.

I really appreciated them up to and including All is Dream. But one thing they're really good at still is covers.

youtu.be/Pf3LleUYUXU
youtu.be/dk6gQ4wkbGU
youtu.be/1TqeAkUfYi8

Hi Speed Boats kills me. I cant help but picture the band members riding around on jet skis.

See You On The Other Side is turbo underrated

Deep.

tits boobs

Great song.

Can't really go wrong with Dave Friedman.
The guy is a musical wizard.

>dat mom shirt

At least until he turned into Dave "Brickwall" Fridmann around the mid-2000s

Nah I like his compression method.

Bump for the mighty Rev

>and if there's one thing I can't stand, it's up

damn...