Question for people who watched Rogue One

Is the Peter Cushing CGI as bad as everyone's saying?

Was it jarring enough to take you out of the movie?

Other urls found in this thread:

vid.me/NuAd
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

I didn't know he was cgi prior going to the movie but yeah, its noticeable. He looks pretty off, almost cartoony. Even without knowing for sure I noticed something weird.

Wait that was CG? Damn, I thought he was still alive, now I feel weird

>I didn't know he was cgi

I was fooled at first. But he's not in many scenes long enough for it to be a deal breaker.

Thought they did a pretty good job

>hurr actor is dead so i automatically assume he's going to be cgi instead of another old man with make up

does tarkin and vader have scenes together?

I literally didn't read or watch anything before going to the movie. How could I know that CGI Tarkin would be there?

It looks a bit off, but to be honest if I didn't know it was a CG face I wouldn't have been able to tell. The only reason I noticed the inconsistencies is because I was looking for them. I had a bigger issue with Forrest Whitaker's weird high pitched voice than I did with CGI Tarkin.

>Was it jarring enough to take you out of the movie?
The only CGI faces that weren't jarring was the pilots since the cockpit and general lack of main movement/focus didn't highlight the flaws.

>if I didn't know it was a CG face I wouldn't have been able to tell
But how could you not? The original actor is obviously dead

In Episode III Lucas used actor Wayne Pygram, AKA Scorpius from Farscape, under heavy makeup for the younger Tarkin's cameo.

The earlier design looked better desu. Why did they end up going with that walking corpse look instead?

As in if I didn't know that wasn't a real actor. It looked real enough that if you weren't looking out for flaws in the CGI, you wouldn't have noticed them.

Well, Cushing always had a weird corpsy look to him. Besides, it doesn't really matter in ROTS, since all you get is a wide shot of him. It only looks terrible close up.

Get this: Lucas thought the first design looked "too old". Yet he was pleased with what we got--i.e., the Walking Dead Tarkin.

The fact that there are still people walking on this earth who put any stock in GL's opinion or judgment is one of the greatest mysteries of all time.

I think somebody reminded them he was supposed to be about 17 years younger and they hastily reworked it. First one was pretty dead-on to ANH.

I still give George credit because even though he's a massive autist who often doesn't realize what he's doing, Star Wars is still his movie. I don't think he made it for anyone other than himself, and I respect that.

It's damn hard to when shit like this happens, though.

It's not completely terrible, Cushing always looked old before his time.

>tfw didn't even know Rogue One was at the theater already.
>tfw don't even have plans to see it when it comes out on DVD and I can torrent it
>tfw Disney Star Wars is dead to me
>tfw some part of me has been lost forever, never to return.

Nobody cares.

Not as bad a CGI Princess Leia

The makeup in general had a more waxy look for RotS, probably because they were using different materials from 20 years earlier.

The Hot Toys figure of Leia is far better than the CGI we got of her

It's just a movie franchise, you sound pathetic.

GO SEE THIS ANTI-WHITE PROPAGANDA, GUYS! IT'S STAR WARS!

>tfw no scenes with based Sheev in R1
They mentioned him so many times I was just waiting for the other shoe to drop.

>That CGI Princess Leia

MUH DICK.

I think the best way of putting it is that It's on the very far edge of the uncanny valley

Almost out of the valley but just not quite

It is pretty jarring

I'd pretty much looked at nothing about Rogue One so i didn't know Tarkin was in it

When you first see him you just see his back and then the profile of his face and I thought that was a neat way of including him in the story without having to rely on poor jarring CGI

And then he turns around and you get a close of up his face and I was instantly disappointed

And they keep doing it too, they continually do close up shots of him (and leia at the end too) and I'm constantly left wondering why, because it looks shit. At certain angles/lighting CGI characters could look flawless but they kept insisting on showing you close ups in full lighting and It looks bad.

Any camrips yet?

Any pics?

Didnt the guy who wrote this got BTFO

The model, textures and shading look exceptional.

The animation however is terrible, it looks like it was done by hand instead of using any kind of facial capture and it's over-expressive and exaggerated.

It was okay.

If they restricted his scenes to mediums and wides it would have been totally indistinguishable from an actor but I think they were too confident in the CG and had too many cloesups.

Gold and Red leader shots were fine.

The Leia shot was wayyyyyy too close.

JUST

Saw it Imax 3d a few hours ago. I was very pleased with cgi Tarkin. The technology has improved so much over the past few years.

Y'all sound like a bunch of whiny cunts to be perfectly honest

SEAMLESS

>tfw camrip actually makes her look BETTER

Good Lord

Hello fellow user, am I the only one who was extremely impressed by the CGI in the trailers?

Looks so much better than Force Awakens and you are right, CGI is getting better.

Post more CGI humans.
>tfw remember this looking way better

It wouldn't be so creepy if she wasn't smiling, kinda like Tarkin.

They're literally IN a computer program, so it fits.

>soon CGI will get so good you won't even be able to tell if an actor is real or not

Anybody else find this pretty scary? Government would have all sorts of sinister application for it, and a video wouldn't necessarily be believable evidence anymore...

>Will never get to have hot sex with her at the conventions since she was so sluty and would let nerds fuck her.

Freeze all motor function. Load itinerary "Derail".

VR is a thing now.

>The fact that there are still people walking on this earth who put any stock in GL's opinion or judgment is one of the greatest mysteries of all time.
And yet Disney all on their own created Rey and threw Luke Mark Hamill Skywalker under the bus. Weird!

Why couldn't they have cast this guy? Any amount of makeup would have been preferable to CGI.

Except they use creepy Jeff Bridges in flashback scenes too, where it's meant to be him and not Clu.

Jesus Christ, it's 4 am here and I'm genuinely creeped the fuck out by that

>impressed by the CGI in the trailers?

>This whole scene.

I was masturbating furiously.

i didnt even know the movie was out

>you can see the fucking seams

:)

Tarkin was really distracting. They should have just replaced him with a look alike. Most scenes he was in I couldn't even pay attention to the dialogue because I was too busy gawking. The rest of the movie was great, except I felt like Cassian warms up to Jyn too quickly. He goes from mistrust to "JYYYYN!" in a heartbeat. That being said, I prefer this movie to 7 or any of the prequels,

He looks like one of those fuck dolls.

I honestly thought they did a good job. most cgi people have dead eyes like besides. its a hologram so they can fall back on that i guess.

I found it very jarring. Took me out of the movie everyone he was in. Especially the beard and the area around the mouth, it looks too smooth

How long is Darth Vader in it and does he kill people?

is there a good space battle?

There is, but I'd call it more of a skirmish than an battle, despite the scale (as weird as it sounds).

Why did Krennic look so old in the flashback scene at the start? It bothered me that he looked all craggy for some reason and looked fine in the rest of the movie.

is there flamethrowers?
mass killings?
rebelshits getting their shit pushed in by the Glorious Empire?

This looks vidya AF. I thought they were doing more practical effects?

Not very long. He's only really got two or three scenes. The last one is a badass horror movie-style attack on some rebels, but the others are boring stuff we've seen before. He also sounds...off.

He's in two scenes. He force chokes in one and kills like 20 rebels in the other.

Nope.

Not him but he's in it for like 5 minutes over 2 different scenes. The first scene shows him in this cool lava fortress being confronted by Krennic over Tarkin taking all the credit for his work. Vader isn't having any of it, roasts him for shit that's happened earlier in the movie then chokes him out with the Force for a bit when he backtalks.
The second scene is near the end, when they have the plans and are trying to escape with them. Vader boards a Rebel ship and slaughters a bunch of Rebels while trying to retrieve the plans. It's probably the best scene in the movie, you really feel the fear of the soldiers as they're trapped in a tiny hallway with Vader while he just hacks through them all like it's nothing. It's the equivalent of the atomic breath scene from Godzilla 2014. I reeally can't stress enough how brutal and genuinely horrifying that scene is.

ENTIRE LEAKED ENDING
vid.me/NuAd

its honestly like something out of a pixar movie. especially the big anime eyes

The pilots were just shots from ANH thou and they obviously used a cut line from ANH at one point.

The entire last scene is Vader massacring a hallway of Rebel soldiers as they desperately try to get the plans for the Death Star away from him as the Corellian blockade runner from the start of Episode 4 launches.

It's as good as it sounds.

Any good easter eggs?

The Mon Calamari's CGI is what really threw me off. That's not gonna age well.

>GCIing Tarkin
To what end

>Yfw that planet during his first appearance is supposed to be Mustafar

Why isn't it completely covered in larva flow like in the prequels?

>Mon calamari CGI
Wasn't Ackbar practical in TFA?

This end.

It also creates a gigantic plot hole at the beginning of ANH where Leia was playing innocent when Vader confronts her about her connection to the rebels.

Thanks to Rogue One her ship was clearly identified at the scene, so it makes no sense for her to lie.

It appears they used practical costumes, with small CGI touch-ups in this one.

that's rots

his suit must be stitched in a way that makes his cape blow in villain wind from every angle.

They bump into those two guys from the cantina scene in ANH, the ones that try to pick on Luke. Also you see a Wampa being used for manual labor in the background at one point.

Pretty sure that was a practical effect mate.

With Tarkin in this movie, when the CGI looks good, it's quite good.
But when it's bad, it's incredibly noticeable.
The bad bits far outweigh the good bits.

Does it draw you out of the movie? Not really, once you realize what the deal is, it's pretty easy to just go with it.

That's the problem with prequels. They add shit that completely contradicts movies that take place after.

It was either that or raise Cushing from the dead, and they found he was in no mood to stop his afternoon tea with Christopher for this shit.

>mention of the Rebels crew
>mention of Donnie Yen's character being the keeper of the Journal of Whills (or something like that)
>hammerhead cruisers from Rebels and KOTOR
>some intercut footage from the pilots who died in the death star attack in Ep4

God, that pissed me off.

>We're a consular ship on a diplomatic mission to Alderaan!
>Bitch, I just saw you detach from the fleet that was assaulting our base

>his suit must be stitched in a way that makes his cape blow in villain wind from every angle.
Do not understimate the power of the dark side

Dunno if you consider them easter eggs but there were some fun things.

You see a shape like 'Ghost' from rebels on Yavin and in the attack on Scarif.

You see some guys playing a version of holochess, but it's not holographic they have carved monsters and they roll dice.

Do you mean this guy?
His mouth movements look strange because he is practical.

It cooled

ship not shape

Couldn't they just recast him?

What the fuck. That looks a Killzone 2 or 3 cutscene.