youtube.com/watch?v=xnsAbz9Tg6I
letterboxd.com/Synt/
letterboxd.com/MrEnormous/
letterboxd.com/ren507man/lists/
letterboxd.com/zeusimpersonatr/films/reviews/by/added/
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

letterboxd.com/amaranth/

probably too late/early for a thread, friend

Nocturnal Animals had maybe the most destructive editing i've seen all year. totally ruined the film for me. there's probably something salvageable there, but it'd have to be a serious recut.

I don't see how this is a party

I am almost at 1000

Glad to hear it
Just remember that short films don't count, friend

holy shit you have fucking horrible taste
literally the worst ive ever seen in one of these threads
i pray your profile is bait

Short films do count as cinema and are to be logged, but sure, to these claims it's always advisable to have only features considered

>the "taste is objective" meme

Watched this for the first time in my life, pretty good, I don't get why it has so many haters, I'm not a weebo so I don't give a fuck if something else is better, and also I'm not in the contrarian valley, that's why I'm thinking this is good.

really thats all you have to say?
also check em

i mean, you didn't really give me anything to go on there. if you want to talk about some of your opinions on flicks i liked/disliked, or about why we disagree on certain things, okay. but flinging shit from behind your keyboard isn't exactly a conversation starter.

Yes it's good, but it's the first and sometimes last anime film imdbabbys will watch so it got overrated/overtalked, considering it's far from peak in that 'genre'.

so you didn't actually want to discuss it? should have figured based on your initial response.

lol

letterboxd.com/voexodus/

Rogue One's final 20 minutes were great.

letterboxd.com/nuts/

Still need to see a few movies

>the bullies finally got to steakbro

letterboxd.com/machill54/

I haven't seen any other Verhoeven, to the person that asked (which I was quite surprised at).

I enjoyed Nocturnal animals a lot. I thought the editing was good! What didn't you like about it

>Ronald has his first Verhoeven in 2016 with Elle
Cultureless tb.h

>cultureless
>has seen Igrok

hmmmmm. I don't think so buster!

Rogue One is a lot better than TFA

letterboxd.com/ihavebadtaste/

it was jarring and frustrating that it absolutely refused to hold on any image. the best example of this is probably the scene where Jake Gyllenhaal finds his dead wife and daughter. that is the sort of image which should be lingered on, but we cut to a reaction almost immediately. this happens constantly throughout the film - i doubt there was a single shot longer than 6 or 8 seconds. not to mention the constantly repeated shots, so it's not like there's even any value to it.

I disagree

For the example you used, the 'book' subplot takes on the form of an exploitation film but is intentionally being not exploitative. The focus shouldn't be on the nude corpse, which it undoubtedly would be in any American grindhouse film of the 70s, but the emotional response and devastation of that.

If you felt there should be more lingering shots then that's fine I guess but it definitely wasn't something noticeable to me.

>takes on the form of an exploitation film but is intentionally being not exploitative
the material isn't good enough for it to be successful without being exploitative. my overall impression of the film was that it's attempting to "elevate" itself out of that genre, but instead comes across as simply pretentious. there's been something of a resurgence in the exploitation genre recently, with films like Green Room, Don't Breathe, and High-Rise taking influence from it, but these films are successful specifically because they don't think themselves better than the material, whereas Tom Ford seemed to think he was making something more heady than he actually was. the material is solid, but completely failed by the direction and editing.

In my opinion it was good enough to be successful, and was very well directed or edited. One of the most successfully 'stressful' films Ive seen in a long while, and Michael Shannon was (predictably) great

I am enjoying the recent resurgence of films with that heavy influence

Michael Shannon was definitely great, but i guess we can just agree to disagree about everything else.

yeah we can

Have you seen Elle?

i haven't yet, but i'm definitely excited to catch it if it ends up playing in my area. i've enjoyed what i've seen from Verhoeven (Total Recall, RoboCop, Starship Troopers - his three most popular for sure) but, like most people, i haven't seen anything he's made in the 21st century. the fact that it's being so well reviewed despite the alienating premise interests me, as does the presence of Isabelle Huppert.

Stop making letterboxd threads

kek, nice taste mate.

I see you rated Pass Thru lowly but Double Down as a 3. Why?

no

Neo /lbg/ doesn't know about morgan. Is it good or bad?

>hey guize remember the turntable, wasn't that great?! I miss those day #[sadface]

Have you seen it with subtitles? And was with a dvdrip?

tfw no gf

tfw gf

routine?

slavshit 4x10

youtube.com/watch?v=xnsAbz9Tg6I

Invite me to kg or ptp and i'll suck ur dick m8

Classic method

Never bring ladders to a sword fight.

Decent post

>Blackhat was good!

See, the way everyone had been going on about the editing of the film has made me worry this is the case. Not actually effective or nuanced editing, but flashy and different, meant only to catch the attention of the average, inexperienced viewer.

How do you come up with these posts man

bump

lmao! nice one!

MOTY

Will watch today. Doubt it MOTY. But AA is pretty good. Hope it isn't SJW crap.

Fish Tank was shit is this more of the same?

Which one?

>Fish Tank was shit
pleb

Mann, no doubt

letterboxd.com/Synt/

Thoughts on Zizek and his stances on film and philosophy?

>Zizek
Žižek, culturally insensitive shitlord

oops

reddit: the "philosopher"

I'm not sure I can continue to be the boyfriend of a bigot t.b.h

Really? In my admittedly limited wider reading of his works, Zizek comes off as too raw for reddit. Not enough funny science is cool filler.

t. embryo
it's better than fish tank though

You're thinking of Chris Pratt.

It was on 35mm with Eng subs

waiting for a non scene rip but pretty hype

he's a great big meme but his perverts guide to cinema is the thing that got me to start wanting to look at film as an art form so for that I love him forever

Well American Honey was fucking awful, complete waste of time and one pf the worst movies of 2016. Festival bait.

>/ihavebadtaste
very fitting

>Rouge One over 2 stars

So you actually went to see Rogue One even though you knew it would be bad, or is that your opinion without having seen it?

Dude this movie won Cannes that means it's automatically good
Dude this movie is a giant blockbuster it's automatically bad

Ah, the embryo when he spergs!

The correct rating for American Honey

Go jerk off to the Mubi Blackhat essay

Don't know what it is but probably better than anything you ever wrote. AH was a bad film anyways.

>La Jetee
>3 stars
Triggered

Swap "movie buff peek" with "patrician summit" in terms of "Love for Kubrick" and you're on the money.

letterboxd.com/MrEnormous/

Been kinda jumping around lately, but I'm mainly focused on going through Lang's filmography lately. I think I might watch Destiny next, since it's one of his earliest, and I'd like to see how his work shifted between that and Die Nibelungen. I'm sort of vacillating between his work and Ozu's, and I've almost finished running through the latter's later oeuvre -- I'll probably catch Good Morning next.

Pop culture marxist

He's no Sloterdijk. Anybody with Hegel as a primary influence is too far gone.

Glad to agree. AH is the Revenant of 2016 tho I don't think it's going to get any Oscars.

Forgot my dang image

La jetee was really cool I just wasn't into the still image format.

Tokyo Twilight rules

Neither The Revenant or American Honey are bad films

revenant is a 1 star shitshow
AH sits somewhere between 4/4,5 stars

The Revenant aka "masterpieces are long, right?" is just another installment in Cuaron's tryhard filmography.

No soul at all. Watching Leo drool on his shirt for an Oscar was fun, though.

>the revenant
>Cuaron
kill yourself any time now

>The Revenant aka "masterpieces are long, right?" is just another installment in Cuaron's tryhard filmography.

this guy is fucking crazy letterboxd.com/ren507man/lists/

*Inarritu

I always mix these guys up. Same shit, different director.

reminder Iñarritu haters are literal kids

BTFO

post the "letterboxd vs. cinemos" version of this please

>The Revenant aka "masterpieces are long, right?" is just another installment in Cuaron's tryhard filmography.

what an absolute madman
he probably has OCD. my cousin has it and he used to fill up dozens of notebooks a year with retarded lists like that

Yeah, that's pretty much the only complaint I see about it -- actually saw someone refer to it as "anti-cinema". I think that the form coincides with the story in a really interesting way, and the ending's shift into moving image is really great and cathartic.

Ozu can really do no wrong.

>▶

Crazy reviewers are best reviewers.

letterboxd.com/zeusimpersonatr/films/reviews/by/added/

Cuaron at least does his own thing. Inarritu has devolved into a shitty Tarkovsky-Malick malformation.

Sauce?

Damn, that's a great example of what happens when embryos try to be smart with scathing critiques.
To be btfo by yourself, haha