old thread

Other urls found in this thread:

amazon.com/Hosa-MHE-100-5-Right-Angle-Headphone-Adaptor/dp/B000068O6B/
amazon.com/Monoprice-3-5mm-Stereo-6-35mm-Adaptor/dp/B003R70OA4/
youtube.com/watch?v=Qxprv8L79iE
youtube.com/watch?v=if6FSrgJdPI
youtube.com/watch?v=vZ4jzzvOlyU
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

So, I was looking into Godin guitars and there are a bunch of these used for under 300€.
And they are American made instruments.
What's the catch?

God damn I hate that truss rod placement. It looks clean but it's the most inconvenient place you could ever put it.

Wrong.

They're made in Canadian sweatshops by cute Eastern European immigrant slave girls. They're ok on par with any other budget instrument. I think they're overhyped just because they're not made in China, people seem to forget that you can also make low quality goods in USA/Canada/Europe...

The one you're looking at is comparable to a squier/pacifica.

Would I make money marketing heavy plastic guitars?

Like solid plastic, none of that hollow chink shit

Do you enjoy taking off your pickguard (and sometimes even your neck) every time you need to adjust your truss rod?

how do i setup a guitar from 9s to 11s?

Possibly with the right marketing. Don't call it plastic, use buzzwords like Aircraft Grade Composite Material.

I just picked up an Alvarez 5022 (allegedly from 1975) for $100. The seller said it might need new strings but they sound good to my ears.

What's up with that? First guitar, but not first instrument. How do I know if it really needs new strings?

they sound dull, are dirty, feel rusty or brittle

Just get new strings for it. You'll notice a big difference. When strings get old they get dull/muted sounding. Clean the fretboard and polish the frets while you're at it.

Wrong.

That's not even the same kind of truss rod access as the OP's picture c'mon dude

Are set/through necks better than bolt-ons? Do they sound different?
I played a through-neck once, and I did like the thinner neck joint for all the widdly notes. But the serviceability of bolt-ons is something to consider too...

They sound warm, but not dull.
There is some discoloration on them around the sound hole, I assume that's oxidation caused by skin oils and sweat. Otherwise they seem fine. I'll pick up a couple sets of strings to have on hand one way or another.

Will do. Got a recommendation if I'd like to keep a warmer sound? I've heard some guitars sound too bright, or buzzy, and I don't love that.

You said I needed to take off my pickguard and neck to access my truss rod. I don't. You were wrong.

Pic related. This is your new home.

If you like a warm sound stick with Phosphor Bronze. I would buy elixirs because they last forever, but you might not like the fresh sound.

A bit late to the party, bub

Not me

Thanks my dude

You do on a vintage style truss rod like in the OPs pic. You posted an entirely different style of truss rod....

Do you think this nigga will make me a fretless neck? Seems like it would be the perfect material for it.

Email them

what is this CAGED system maymay about?
is it like a method to learn inversions?

Yes it was.

What's the best way to record yourself playing?

i just hang my mic over my amp's speaker like this picture

Mic is gay

Simply hook up your line out parallel to your speaker

Now the amplifier will get the impedance of the speaker load but you will also get clean sound out.

That guitar is made by EGC, and they don't do custom orders.
If you had a lot of time, you could try buying one and filing the frets flush to the fretboard (I don't think you could just pull out the frets like a regular wood neck).

If you want a shiny neck and have way, way too much money on your hands, there's the Vigier Excalibur Surfreter, but you have a wooden body.

What do you think of the Boss Katana 100W Combo?

I have the 50 and love it

Yes, kinda, first you learn how the chords are connected, but as you add more notes to your mental image of fretboard, you stop thinking about the chords, but just the sound of each individual note, which, in my opinion, is the whole point of understanding the fretboard and consequently being able to improvise by playing what you hear in your head almost instantly

It means you take the C, A, G, E, and D open chords and close them so you can use them anywhere on the fretboard. The E shape, for example is what you probably call a barre chord.

>cannot adjust truss rod with strings at pitch like it's supposed to be done
This is not proper truss rod access.
is fine. is objectively shit.

I've never used any pedals, do they usually come with cables? How many cables should I have apart from guitar to amp if I'm going to buy 3 pedals?

Wrong.

I'm retarded so I have no idea what you mean by this. Can you clarify?

Get one of these, one end goes to the speaker, the other through an adapter to the blue 3.5 mm jack on your PC. I'm assuming you have a cab though.

>high schoolers in /gg/ don't understand why truss rod placement at the heel is a superior design
kek

I've been playing acoustic for about 7 years and bought my first electric this week. My 5-way channel selector is missing its plastic tip. It's a purely cosmetic thing, but I want to replace it anyway. Can I just walk into a guitar shop and buy one?

yeah. online too.

Sorry, I couldn't hear you. There's a loud truck coming down the street to empty your new home and the other similar homes adjacent to your new home.

>through an adapter
Protip: when using adapters, ALWAYS use this kind: amazon.com/Hosa-MHE-100-5-Right-Angle-Headphone-Adaptor/dp/B000068O6B/
NEVER use this kind: amazon.com/Monoprice-3-5mm-Stereo-6-35mm-Adaptor/dp/B003R70OA4/
The latter kind can literally break headphone jacks through leverage.

Provide credible source(s) explaining why heel truss rod access is superior.

youtube.com/watch?v=Qxprv8L79iE
youtube.com/watch?v=if6FSrgJdPI

Thanks user, I'll stop by guitar center today!

Don't learn caged. Learn 3 notes per string. It maps the fretboard better

Yeah, before they default would be nice.

can someone explain to me why going from a Cmaj to an Emaj chord sounds good?

Emaj is the dominant V of C's relative minor - A

because of that you can also use the Emaj to resolve a progression in C

Does anyone else paint stories in their head as they're learning a song? I don't do it on purpose but while I'm grinding to memorize the notes I'll see some notes as being aggressive to the other ones and that's why the sequence goes down and some other things like that. It goes even more in depth than that with faces, motives, etc but it's hard to put into words.

Am I just acoustic or does this happen to anyone else?

It’s not, it is just somewhat easier for replacing the nut if you strip it as well ass adding an adapter for extra turns if it has been maxed out. Wheels are obviously superior when you have the truss rod access at the heel since they are much simpler to access and turn without having to remove the neck or accidentally damage the body or pickguard if it has one, especially when using the Fender tool since all they add is a small divot in the body for clearance.

nice 50+ boss pedals but i prefer vox valvetronix 33 amps vs boss 4.

have you tried writing songs through that? like coming up with chords, and then making the lyrics from these stories that come to your head

Why would it even fucking matter? He just plays chords and does everything to the rhythm of Blink 182’s All the Small Things. Kid is clearly a retard. Drop it and shut the fuck up, Brazil.

No but I doubt it'd be all that interesting. Also once I notice that it's happening I sort of snap out of it. It definitely helps the memorizing process but I'm thinking it might have something to do with my history of heavy psychedelic and dissociative drug usage, though I've been sober for too long now.

Is D Lydian the heaviest, most metal mode/scale or is it just me.

file the nut to compensate for the thicker strings going in there and then reintonate and adjust truss rod as necessary

am i forgetting anything?

that looks so fucking ugly

>file the nut to compensate for the thicker strings
>Going from 9 to 11s
I'd be surprised if it was necessary.

Kill yourself for bothering to spoonfeed a faggot that won’t bother to use a simple search engine

I just get a feeling of spacial synthesia with music. I can feel the instruments as entities existing in a relm of space with thrm moving according to where footholds appear. Like correct notes are steps in the darkness while wrong ones are pitfalls unless an accidental. Then I see it as an athletic slide that is risky but skillful. I don't get stories or colors or anything like that. It like specifically connects to my sense of space.

>reintonate and adjust truss rod as necessary
i jump over 11 from 9 and didnt need all this

You’re an idiot for not knowing that is if you want optimal height clearance from the fretboard.

>he can't also play rhythm piano
>girlslaughing.jpg

Yup, clearly a retard.

You absolutely have to re-intonate if you want your notes in tune across the fretboard. You must not care much about being in tune or did not check correctly.

I think learning both CAGED and 3nps, as well as Steve Morse's system of organizing scales (Basically 3nps but with only 2 notes on the G string to keep the pattern in one fretboard position; see pic related) is the best way to go.

Being familiar with all three gives you more freedom to move around instead of being mentally locked into one rigid scale shape.

Trying to learn all three at once might not be a good idea, though.

I like the CAGED scales because the 5 CAGED scale fingerings fall very nicely into the 5 pentatonic box patterns most of us are probably already familiar with.

As far as chords go, I don't really have much of a use for the G shape chord from the CAGED system other than as a visualization tool. When's the last time you had to play that chord in a song? I'd guess never.

>9s to 11s
Sure.

Cmaj - C E G
Emaj - E G# B

The two chords have one common tone and two leading tones. E stays the same, C resolves one semitone down to B, G resolves one semitone up to G#. Makes for a strong resolution. The classic V7 - I resolution also has a common tone and two leading tones.

they don't usually come with cables but sometimes on amazon they're bundled together. for three pedals you'll need 4 cables in total: two long regular sized cables (10-20 ft depending on need and preference) and two patch cables (6").

guitar ----------> pedal --> pedal --> pedal ----------> amp

That image is retarded

Keep practicing your setup skills, until then, don’t give bullshit information out to those that want to learn. We don’t need more idiots in this world that think they are actually knowledgeable.

it most certainly is necessary

:^)

I think it' just you.

Lydian has a characteristically bright, dreamy, ethereal sound to it.

>You absolutely have to re-intonate
i check it yesterday is intonated. no trust adjustment no re-intonation was needed

is that why your playing sucks samuel

Why?

should i bother with that? i can find any scale over the fretboard and know most of them, will it matter learning more scale memorizing systems like caged and steve morse's?

Any of you closeted homosexuals have any experience with active pickups? Thinking about trying a set of EMGs. Any good?

so samuel is the new roman

just b urself, mein freund

You checked both the fretted note at the 12 and its harmonic for each string? You most certainly will have to re-intonate. What tuner are you using?

It sucks having to change batteries.

i'd say if you need the extra gain and don't mind having you guitar run on batteries then go for it. but be honest: do you really need the extra gain that much?

I can't speak for every active under the sun, but the 81/60 set is the blandest pickup I've ever had the "pleasure" to try. Reminder to consider whether you have enough space to fit a 9V battery as well unless you're willing ot dig a hole in your guitar on top of ripping off all the electronics.

>metal

Depends on the sound you are looking for and even then, you’re going to have to try them out on your rig to know if you like them or not, no one here can answer for you. I suggest buying used off one of the many guitar forums, ebay, or reverb to try them out. Or just order a guitar that has the set you are looking for and return it for a full refund after you are comfortable knowing how that set sounds.

so you built your own guitar too?

Don't forget to unplug the jack or else it keeps drawing power.

yes , S-gear 2

what is the selection of guitars at guitar center usually like? the nearest guitar center to me is like an hour drive and i don't wanna drive all the way out there to find out they don't carry the guitars i wanna try out. i'm asking because i don't wanna order a guitar without playing it first and i'm not sure where else to go that would let me test out some guitars

Batteries last a while and even with active gigging I have never had to replace a battery more than once every 10 months. Always check before you play live and keep a spare pair, you will be fine. It’s usually bedroom players that overblow the whole “batteries are gonna fast” misconception.

>what is the selection of guitars at guitar center usually like?
Worn out and poorly maintained usually unless you have an actually good Guitar Center. Still get there and experiment, might discover something.

Order a guitar from Sweeteater or Musicians Friend or any place with a decent return policy. Problem solved. Chances are the guitars at the local shop will have piss poor setups anyhow.

This put me off initially but apparently you get 1500 hours battery life from one 9v running two humbuckers, which isn't bad. Apparently they only need to be changed about once a year

I'm more interested in the low impedance for recording. The extra gain would be nice too though

Yes I've seen some hack jobs where people have routed out a space for the battery and done an awful job. I'll pick a guitar that has the space under the backplate already

>meal
>food

Can't argue with those quads, thanks for the input chaps

what is the second chord on the progression youtube.com/watch?v=vZ4jzzvOlyU

They carry Fender, gibson, ibanez, esp, dean, epiphone, Yamaha, taylor, martin

marshal, acoustic, fender, vox, line 6, bugera, orange