Extremely boring prog music with pseudo depth

Extremely boring prog music with pseudo depth
Honestly I dont get it

Other urls found in this thread:

vocaroo.com/i/s0mDBBH1QRcZ
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

>pseudo depth
That's the best kind of depth. Fuck subtle depth.

>he thinks this is prog
lurk more

but its not boring
if thats boring than you must be an 5 year old

>prog
kys

explain more.

It's babby's first experimental music.

what isn't babbys first experiemental music then?

Branca, This Heat, PiL, Wire, Faust etc.
Basically all the bands Swans ripped off and dumbed down the ideas of

Meant to quote

what makes this album dumb down those ideas?

>the flutes in the second half of Minus Something, like you walking through a slave market in the middle of Cairo a millennia ago.

pottery

1. They're essentially stolen and repackaged ideas. Very little actual innovation is involved, even the likes of Bowie and Radiohead are more creative.
2. Many of their compositions are stretched out to unnecessary lengths considering their relative scarcity of interesting musical ideas. I'm guessing this is what OP is talking about when he says "pseudo depth".

what if despite all this,
Swans were still the better band ?

I guess it's a matter of personal preference but I have no idea why anyone would think that

why not?

Because whenever I talk to a Swans fan and tell them why I don't like them, the only response I get is "why does that make them bad" or "what if they're still good despite all this". I've never actually heard a Swans fan explain what they like about their music.

2deep4u

Explain what ideas they have stolen or repackaged.
>implying interesting musical ideas are something that can be objectively measured
>implying your personal preference is objective in anyway
you're a fucking idiot 14 year old pretending to be good at arguments

Its a good point? Why does the fact that the music isn't so innovative mean its not as good.
...why.. Swans has a lot going for them. The hypnotic tracks they sometimes make. Tracks in newer albums get very emotional and cathartic. The atmosphere is always very dark, which makes it very interesting. Gira sings on many tracks, and you get some emotional connection as the albums go on. Sometimes Gira sings these lyrics, it almost feels like someones diary come to life and it can really speak to you. Of course the instrumentation or vocals can even get catchy at times.

>prog
Wtf are you on lol
It isn’t supposed to be deep. It’s a sonic rollercoaster of emotion I didn’t even know existed
It’s fine if you don’t like it or it hasn’t clicked, it was definitely a grower for me, but this album means a LOT to a lot of people for good reason.
Don’t dismiss it as pretentious pseudo deep shit just because you can’t rationalize why you don’t get it

Don't worry, op there's nothing to get. It's shit music made by douchebags for psuedo intellectual chucklefucks.

Right, like or hate swans, saying they ripped off ANYONE is horse shit dude
That is something they undeniably don’t do.

I didn't imply either of those things, retard.
Listen to the bands I listed earlier, as well as Codeine, Cluster, Brian Eno, basically anything on the NWW list

Why would you want to listen to something that's already been done by other bands, and better?
If you want good "hypnotic" music listen to stuff like Steve Reich and Can, stuff that actually has musical development and doesn't just mindlessly repeat the same ideas for obnoxious lengths of time.

>listens to "Damaged I" by Black Flag
>listens to Filth immediately after
Hmmmmmm...

>imagine listening to music and jumping to such conclusions

Even albums that I don’t like or don’t click I don’t dismiss so fucking harshly. This album and the recent trilogy mean more to me than I can even fucking explain, and it’s really annoying to see people say shit like this just because they don’t understand it.
I don’t say that in a condescending way either, there’s PLENTY of music that I don’t like, probably because I don’t understand it (a good majority of jazz, sun kil moon, etc)

>gets called out
>cant explain any of his retarded claims
>just....listen to codeine! brian eno! black flag!
yo just kill urself

How did I get "called out", exactly?

>Honestly I dont get it
I can see that.

Let that pain make you question yourself. Perhaps you'll come to a realization. Until then, we'll all be waiting for you, user.

Or you could just accept that you don’t like it instead of spazzing the fuck out anytime you hear experimental music

>prog

stopped reading there

album's not boring but this thread is

Ok but if Animus isn't the best shit you've ever heard, get out of my face

I have, user. Please see my initial post. I'm sure one day in the future you'll look back and think, "How did I ever enjoy this trash?"

>being this condescending about how fucking dumb you are

You are one special person, let me tell you that. I have not seen anyone so pretentious that they seem ok. Leave this board, and wank on tago mago vinyl.

>shit, someone enjoys a thing I did not understand
>calls it shit therefore

Gosh, you will never die out, won't you?

He's right though. People who enjoy Swans generally have very little exposure to experimental music and that's why they're so easily impressed. Once you've listened to half of the NWW list you'll wonder how you ever enjoyed this trash.

>NWW list
I did. Enjoy Swans anyway. You seem to not reckon with a think called "subjective experience". Stop shitting on opinions and better get to know why they like it. I have figured out long ago that the reason for my initial resentment is absence of any notion as to what to listen to. Should you not agree — kys, soil would be gracious.

>Stop shitting on opinions and better get to know why they like it
Tell me what you like about it then

>Sup Forums suddenly hates Swans
What the fuck happened?

I like how I manage to vent my anger to their early stuff after a shitty day at work or uni. I like primal spirit of minimalist repetitive riffs. I like how once lying on the floor stoned I got my idea of writing, what led me to where I am now on the cultural side of my life. I like how they stay true to their own sound, that once I hear it I understand: "Yep, that's Swans". The sound itself is haunting, and meditative, especially their late stuff. I like to call it "music for Buddhists in need for war". I like Helpless child and think that this is one of the milestones in music, at least for me. I like the persona of Gira in general and admire him for being a true example of an artist.

Maybe I like them because I am russian and that's basically a fitting soundtrack to my life there. I forgot something probably, but these are the first things to come up.

Wire fucking sucks die

>wire
???

t.butthurt swans fan

sry newfag here, whats the NWW list?

literally google

vocaroo.com/i/s0mDBBH1QRcZ

Sup Forums recently turned on GY!BE as well. Soon we'll also be one of those anons who reminisce of the "good old days" when the bands we like were liked by the board

not recent
there has always been rocky waters around them
some hate some love

That's a nice pic. Have something similar swans-themed?

I've got one more, but that's it. There was a thread about putting googly eyes on albums and these are the only Swans themed ones.

It was well liked here for long enough that the ever-churning counter-culture decided to eat it

If you actually think Filth ripped off Damaged I then I really hope you would mind getting your ears checked out at your next doctor visit.

this