Why does it seem like Australia is more British influenced than the US is?

Why does it seem like Australia is more British influenced than the US is?

Other urls found in this thread:

washingtontimes.com/news/2017/mar/8/illegal-immigration-plummets-trump-inauguration/
mediaite.com/online/dhs-secretary-kelly-illegal-immigration-rates-dropped-40-in-trumps-first-month-as-president/
nytimes.com/2017/03/08/us/trump-immigration-border.html
everyculture.com/multi/Du-Ha/German-Americans.html
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

Because it's a totally british colony, perhaps

Because America is more influenced by Africa and Mexico these days.

Because we have nothing to do with you and disavowed responsibility well over two and a half centuries ago

The US is barely Anglo. We've always been more influenced by Germany, Italy and Ireland. Some influence from Spain and France

Maybe because one of those countries revolted against England and the other has a fucking cuckstamp.

LA LUISIANA ES FRANCESA

because they didn't go full edgy retard and they aren't right next to the US

Yeah I don't get when people say the US is Anglo.

Aside from the English language, we aren't some liberal pieces of shit who allow non-whites to take over our country

Because Australia, like us, was colony that kept its British control for much longer and eventually broke away to independence in a peaceful manner and remains closely tied to the UK?

Obviously a country which rebelled and fought the British for independence would be a lot less British itself afterwards.

*tips*

>we aren't some liberal pieces of shit who allow non-whites to take over our country

Yeah.

>we aren't some liberal pieces of shit who allow non-whites to take over our country
Yanks have such a poor sense of irony that I honestly can't tell if posts like this are serious or not

t. Muhammad

Your country is substantially less white than both the UK and Canada, have had a literal non-white control the country and even in your last election, as a people voted more for the liberal party, electoral college notwithstanding.

So what the fuck are you going on about?

Trump won and we are in the process of literally executing all the illegals in the country

Your PM is literally is allowing Mudslimes to enter your country

I served in the army and shot so many Mudslime kids in Iraq without pity

>60% white

HAHAHAH

Have you ever studied history of tour country? or you are a muslism who Sant friends

>London
>50% White British

heh

>like us
we're nothing like you, leaf

could you imagine being so buttblasted that you took time out of your day to make that image

Stop trying to act cool, it's cringy. The history of how you split from Britain is very similar to us.

>very similar to us
we're not similar to you, leaf

Isn't Australia more influenced by the US nowadays?

>allow non-whites to take over our country

I'm not sure what to tell you user...

Trump doesn't have the power to stop Mexicans from having 6 children each

bit of both

nobody gave you permission to speak

Stupid murrifat

It's actually less than 50% if you take issue with the Americans' definition of "white" (Arabs, Indians, Pakis and Turks are "white" according to the US census)

According to Sup Forums the percentage drops by about %6 every few months - I wouldn't take anything you see on there seriously

It's true though. the above 60% white figure includes Hispanics.

Modern Australia is more influenced by the US than the UK

Of course modern British culture is also a cheap imitation of American culture, so it's hard to say which parts of Australia are a direct imitation of America and which parts are an imitation of an imitation of America...

cringe.

>Yeah I don't get when people say the US is Anglo.

>started as English colonies
>Founding Fathers were all mostly English
>speak the language of English
>legal system is English
>observe English holidays
>constitution basically copied from English Bill of Rights 1689

Yeah it's a complete mystery m8

Except the US is mostly made up of German-Italian-Irish-Spanish descendants

Hamburgers, hotdogs and apple pie are all German

>started as English colonies
American colonies
>Founding Fathers were all mostly English
They were all Americans
>speak the language of English
We speak American
>legal system is English
Our government and legal system is American actually
>observe English holidays
We observe American holidays
>constitution basically copied from English Bill of Rights 1689
Constitution was written by Americans

Once again the UK tries to take credit for American genius. You tried though

You are the subequatorial version of Canada. We are oddly alike

Apple pies aren't German you thick cunt.

>"Apple pie was brought to the colonies by the British, Dutch, and Swedes during the 17th and 18th centuries."
Also a few shitty food items aren't indicative of anything, really.

because it is, isn't that blatantly fucking obvious? From everything to the flag to the accents to the fact that it became independent far after we did and is in the Commonwealth of Nations?

reminder to sage brainlet threads

The rise of non-whites in America and the belief among modern Americans that things like pop music, rap and McDonald's is culture tells its own story. Actual culture is what makes up the very fabric of a country, things like law, education and social values and in that regard the USA historically is very much English and still is, just about. In fact you should count yourself lucky because if it weren't the USA would be a third world shithole like most of South America.

Are you retarded OP?

I am seriously asking this, are you in fact mentally disabled?

Without Hispanics it's ~60% (with them it's 72%), when you dock the cruft (because "white" is insane in the US census) it's below 50

Then explain Canada

>food is more important culturally than things like law, religion etc

Yes I'm sure it was fatty foods that made America what it is today.

Mostly Anglo/Irish actually

If America wasn't "Anglo" and was in fact more influenced by Germany, Italy and Ireland, you wouldn't have burgers jumping at every opportunity to LARP as Germans, Italians and Irish like they do now, because influence from said countries would be so ingrained in their culture.

>when you dock the cruft (because "white" is insane in the US census) it's below 50
do you think that the US is over ten percent Middle Eastern, Iranian, or North African? Because that's the only group that is counted as non-hispanic white which is questionable.

What about it? Our culture and legal system are also largely based on the British model.

Proximity.
Wow, that was really difficult.

I am very much enjoying your banter. Another thing you inherited from the English.

>america
>purposely changed their culture to be less british
>australia
>part of the british empire until post ww2
hmmmm i wonder why

>purposely changed their culture to be less british
>purposely
it was a completely natural development. Early Americans were proud of their Anglo-Saxon or Celtic identities but like everything it was ruined by immigration.

Our Spanish descendants still speak the language and are heavily steeped into Spanish culture

And unlike Canada and Australia, the US had massive European immigration, where most people kept their cultures and traditions.

There's a huge culture shock whenever Canadians and Australians visit the US. We're nothing alike. I went to Quebec once and felt so out of place

Culture isn't just things you approve of. Culture is also speech patterns, music, art, and social behavior, and in this respect the UK is completely and totally Americanized. McDonald's is culture in that it is American food prepared in an American fashion which millions upon millions upon millions of British people purchase day after day after day. Rap music and rock music are American musics which British teenagers prefer to listen to rather than that of their own country. British people don't give a flying shit about religion and law, they care about Kanye West and Game of Thrones

You are an American, you just don't realize it yet

Our civic culture is based on good governance and loyalty.
Yours is based on paranoia and enlightenment ideals

You did that on purpose

Also most religion observed in America came are English protestant. I forgot about that one.

Face it, there's a very good reason the USA has been so successful. It's an offshoot of the greatest culture to exist. Same goes for Canada and Australia.

what spanish culture?

are you some kind of mexican? gtfo

the Enlightenment was a product of Britain and France, so that's a stupid assertion.

Idk m8, most Australians I know who have gone to America have said that you are very similar to us.

Then again, I guess the US has fairly significant regional differences so that could have an effect.

You massively overstate the influence of American culture. Yet even if what you say is true, American influence on the world is NOTHING compared to the fact that your entire country is English down to its very foundations. You can slap burgers and rock music and nigger rap over the top of it, but you are English down to the very core. You can never get away from it. I might be slightly American once a week when I go into Burger King for 30 minutes. You are English every second of your life.

The top selling band of all time is British, the top grossing film franchise is British, the 2 top grossing films Canadian, the best selling novel series is British, 7 out of the top 10 best selling novels are British, (2 of the remaining 3 are American but set entirely in Europe), all of the sports played in the commonwealth and America are native to Canada, Canadians, or Britain, (except Aussie rules football).

Americans are so immersed in Anglo-Saxon culture that they don't even notice it but to an outside observer it's really apparent. Legal system/language/economic model/social institutions/etc. pick anything of relevance.

It's true that the US USED to have a strong German influence, 'USED to' is the important part.

The large numbers of German-speaking towns, schools, newspapers communities, associations and perishes were all shut down. German was virtually banished from public life and the people were assimilated into mainstream Anglophone culture.

We took rock music and made our own superior version, expanding it into many other genres. We take a lot of your things and make superior versions of it which even your own country copies. In terms of popular music our two countries are intrinsically linked, we both take inspiration from eachother.

Soccer isn't popular in America like it is in Canada, Australia and Britain

Well thats cool and all - aside from language, we're more influenced by Germany. I was stationed in Germany and felt no cultural difference unlike the UK where people drive on the left

you are trolling or you're just a dumb twat

>I was stationed in Germany and felt no cultural difference unlike the UK where people drive on the left

This Yank has posted this stuff before, it's his shtick. Most of what he's typed in here is nearly word for word what he's typed before.

Assimilation into American (Anglo) culture was largely voluntary, although yes there was also a large pressure to do so.

>aside from language, we're more influenced by Germany.
Ridiculous, try reading the rest of the thread
>I was stationed in Germany and felt no cultural difference
You probably never left the big cities and spent most of your time around tourists and cultureless urbanites
>unlike the UK where people drive on the left
Now you're baiting.

>I was stationed in Germany and felt no cultural difference unlike the UK where people drive on the left
Germany is literally nothing like the States, even in naafi haunts

>you are English down to the very core
Yeah try telling that to Javier or Jamal, they'll laugh in your pasty face

>money = culture
Being a materialistic uncultured pig is very anglo, I'll give you that

>I spent a few months inside the expat bubble of an American military base with its own American brand store and restaurants and this makes me an expert on cultural and institutional differences.

No, but basketball, baseball, football, and ice hockey are. They are also all Canadian.

you always have the option of going the fuck back where you came from

It's not about money. You mentioned what the tennagers like. I just pointed out the the most popular things among kids are all British and Canadian. Not American

>Trump doesn't have the power to stop Mexicans from having 6 children each
It's not hard.

>cut off welfare checks
>you have to pay for your own kids
>ah heh heh heh maybe 2 will do

>Assimilation into American (Anglo) culture was largely voluntary, although yes there was also a large pressure to do so.

This is whitewashing of history.

The Federal Government frequently used oppressive means to assimilate large immigrant groups, especially in case of the Japanese and the German Americans. There are even documented public lynchings.

Stepping in and forcibly shutting down newspapers and schools does not in any way constitute 'voluntary'. Forced assimilation was a real thing. The school ban for example only got reversed after a surpreme decision in the 1950s or something.

Bullcrap. Most of this was done by local communities, the Federal government pre-WWII was tiny and had very little power and reach.

>Federal government pre-WWII was tiny
So tiny its justice deparment had the capacity to register about 500 000 'foreign aliens' and imprison and intern thousands more?

washingtontimes.com/news/2017/mar/8/illegal-immigration-plummets-trump-inauguration/
mediaite.com/online/dhs-secretary-kelly-illegal-immigration-rates-dropped-40-in-trumps-first-month-as-president/
nytimes.com/2017/03/08/us/trump-immigration-border.html

Well yeah I'm not denying that, but even before that there was a fairly high degree of assimilation. A strong German identity as opposed to an American identity really only remained in parts of the Midwest as far as I am aware.

>American education

>So tiny its justice deparment had the capacity to register about 500 000 'foreign aliens' and imprison and intern thousands more?
During the war, yes. Not in the 1920s.

Pennsylvania has the Pennsylvanian Dutch, a German group, mostly Mennonites and Amish.

There is no room in this country for hyphenated Americanism. When I refer to hyphenated Americans, I do not refer to naturalized Americans. Some of the very best Americans I have ever known were naturalized Americans, Americans born abroad. But a hyphenated American is not an American at all. The one absolutely certain way of bringing this nation to ruin, of preventing all possibility of its continuing to be a nation at all, would be to permit it to become a tangle of squabbling nationalities, an intricate knot of German-Americans, Irish-Americans, English-Americans, French-Americans, Scandinavian-Americans or Italian-Americans, each preserving its separate nationality, each at heart feeling more sympathy with Europeans of that nationality, than with the other citizens of the American republic. There is no such thing as a hyphenated American who is a good American. The only man who is a good American is the man who is an American and nothing else.

Yes but it's wrong to imply that the entire German culture and identity in America was essentially wiped out simply by a few years of anti-German policies and sentiment during WW1. It's natural for immigrants to assimilate over time and you can't just make a culture or identity "disappear" within a few years, it has to happen gradually.

Why didn't meat pies take off in America like they did in the UK/AUSNZ? You'd think Americans wouldn't miss a chance to get meat and pastry down their holes in one snack.

You threw out your original Articles of Confederation and replaced them with a Constitution in the late 18th century. Specifically because you needed a stronger feferal government. Which continued to grow in power and influence until a few states got fed up with all the federal power and started a civil war for 4 years. After which as part of reconstruction and entering the 20th century your government continued to grow in power. The New Deal made the federal government the official power for all private banking and the largest US employer.

Learn your fucking history

Sounds nice in theory Teddy but reality doesn't work like that

Compared to the US and Canada, Australia seems way more British. But really, how different are the 4 countries nowadays?

I dunno if this includes South Africa. They had massive European immigration as well

They're fairly popular in Michigan because of Cornish immigrants who worked the mines in the upper peninsula.

South Africa isn't part of the Anglosphere, they're their own thing and closer to the Netherlands culturally.

The irony is that the US is physically closer to the UK than Australia is.

Australia seems like what would happen if the UK got more sun. I might be in the minority when I say this but Canada and the US don't seem different at all

You don't know anything about Canada

Well no, else we wouldn't have mouth breathers boasting that their grandfather was 1/32nd Irish.

>Canada and the US don't seem different at all
maybe if you live in some desolate snownigger state, but most people don't

After the War of 1812, there was a push to establish a distinctly American identity and move away from British cultural influences. Webster's Dictionary was significant in codifying American English as distinct from British English.

One-half million children were attending school with a curriculum partly or all in German, as counted by the German American Teachers Association still in 1900.

This is a huge number. This is not the number of pupils having German in school but those learning the normal school curriculum in German.

everyculture.com/multi/Du-Ha/German-Americans.html

oh, you're some kind of nutjob

here's an idea, if you want people to feel comfortable identifying with the culture they came from, then don't start two world wars and engage in a massive horrible government policy of extermination

not to say you have any say over what transpired, but it was your own people that directed that shift in history, not mine