Never

>never
>as in ever

Is he right or have we defeated hatred with hatred before?

100 percent subjective

God damn what an amazing and insightful post

if we hate the people who hate us enough, we can blow them all up then the hatred stops hooray.

Yep, we stopped the Nazis by loving them to death.

Two atomic bombs and a shit ton of napalm beg to differ.

don't act like you're looking for a real discussion

I actually am. I made this thread because of a book I'm reading (well, part of the book).

As I said earlier, we nuked and burned japan to the ground, then occupied them. Today the us and japan are friends, not because we hugged them, but because we told them to love us or die.

Hatred is the fuel that keeps humanity running.

did buddha actually say this or is it just another fake quote that a hippie attributed to buddha

I googled it and found a source claiming that the actual quote is "Hatred is never appeased by hatred in this world. By non-hatred alone is hatred appeased. This is a law eternal" which is rather different

>We loved the Kaiser to death
>We snuggled the Nazis away
>The British loved and tolerated Napoleon
>The Ottomans were cuddled at Vienna
>The Chinese peacefully protested the Japanese presence in China, and the Japanese suddenly realized its mean to invade people, so they hopped back in their boats and there were rainbows and snuggles for everyone

How do so many people think this?

nice motivational
>facebook

Remember when we loved Imperial Japan and Nazi Germany to submition?

How about "Hatred never ends.", because it never does and never will unless the entire human population has their minds controlled

It's up to the figures of authority to curb it from manifesting itself as violence and protecting those who may fall prey to it, if that government is given the authority to do so, but it will never be eradicated

look at what the soviets did to nazi germany
they defeated the shit out of them with plenty of hatred, I mean copious amounts of rapy destructive hatred

It's a line from the Dhammapada. The version you posted is more true to the original but of course it's not originally in English so people often take some excessive liberties with translation. OP's version is pushing it a bit by equating non-hatred with love.

According to ancient Chinese text: One of Confucius's students asked him. "Should I face other's hatred with kindness?". Confucius replied:"No. Then how should you treat those who love you? You show kindness only if the other shows you love, and you show them JUSTICE when they treat you with hatred." (以德报怨,何以报德?以德报德,以直报怨。)

this is why i love hitler

Hatred will never go away by forced love.

"For if you love those who love you, what reward do you have? Do not even the tax collectors do the same? If you greet only your brothers, what more are you doing than others? Do not even the Gentiles do the same? Therefore you are to be perfect, as your heavenly Father is perfect."

CARPET BOMBINGS OF LOVE AND TOLERANCE!

Can you love ISIS?

Can you, Sup Forums?

To defeat them we must

Quotes like OP's really don't make sense unless you're familiar with Buddhist thought. Specifically, that reincarnation exists, you've lived uncountable numbers of lives before this one and the sort of life you're born into after you die is heavily dependent on how you behave during this one. This includes the sort of thoughts you have and so, from this perspective, it's true that you'll never stop hating someone if you spend all your time thinking about how much you hate them and all the ways they've wronged you.

In a belief system where this life isn't particularly important and as far as your rebirth is concerned, it's better to be killed by your enemies while loving them than to defend yourself with hateful thoughts. Outside of that belief system, it loses its meaning. But people like to pluck these quotes out of context and pass them around as if they're self-evident and that's how you end up with, "If you kill your enemies, they win".

>Stockholm syndrome the religion

That's right fellas, if you kill your enemy they win!!!
Everyone in Canada knows that already.

I don't think Buddha forsaw islam. If he had, he would have made an entirely different statement.