There is L I T E R A L L Y nothing wrong with Dream Theater

There is L I T E R A L L Y nothing wrong with Dream Theater

Aside from being a commercially oriented rock band that wouldnt satisfy many metal and prog fans alike, sure.

Images and Words was surprisingly decent, but their other stuff is unlistenable to me.

I don’t know anything about them except for the fact that every single fan of theirs that I have ever met has been a mongoloid mouth breather

>That one kid who wore the same dream theater shirt everyday in highschool

A Change of Seasons, dude? One of the best songs ever made?

HAVE YOU SEEN THE TEMPO CHJANGES IN DANCE OF ETERNITY DUDEEE

Their first album is their only good album.
Fight me.

Images and Words was their second album
at least say its that

octavarium exists

>CAUGHT IN A WEEEEEEB

Finally, someone with good taste

When Dream and Day Unite is the only Dream Theater album I go back to listen to

You must be over 18 to post on this board

Early-mid DT. There is nothing wrong with early-mid DT. Post Octavarium is trash.

If you're into run of the mill prog wank, sure.

okay but have you heard the astonishing? complete garbage

listen, i know where you're coming from. i went through a dream theater phase in high school. but don't worry, you'll grow out of it too.

>tfw used to be a DT sperg in in first few years in HS
>tfw many of my DUDE WEED friends are getting into DT now (we're in early 20s) and they think i used to be patrician to listen to them so early

i hate my life

get friends with better tastes my dude

They're good musicians, they write some really creative stuff, problem is they also shredwank too much when they don't need to, and their lyrics got fucking terrifyingly awful since Kevin Moore left.

Stop letting Petrucci write the lyrics and the band would turn around instantly.

I mean... the only reason I like them is because they are a really good background music band

how? like im not r9k, im pretty "cool", i have plenty of friends, but i pretty much hate almost every one of them. where can i get cool firends?

i dont know how anyone can enjoy their "music." its so artificial and forced. there is no musicality to their music. the solos are the worst fucking part its just ruddess and JP cumming all over each other for minutes on end. all their fans are psuedo intellectual faggots that think 9/8 is a complicated time signature and think DT are revolutionary for writing buttrock in 15/16

>listening to the lyrics

Agreed.

Everything pre-Dramatic Turn Of Events is at least 7/10 prog metal. They helped lay the groundwork for an entire movement of music (other obvious contributors being Fates Warning and Queensryche). A lot of their music is genuinely full of feeling and insight and tasteful writing. They go downhill the further you get beyond Systematic Chaos but yeah, I agree with OP.

Anyone pretending that technicality inherently has no feeling or unironically uses words like "wankery" is as shallow as they imply prog metal is.

>trying to ignore a huge flaw in their music

this, i usually don't pay too much attention to the lyrics when listening to music, but their lyrics are often so bad you just can't ignore them

They're trash but I used to love em when I was 12 so I still have a weak stop for them

I don't mind DTOE, though that is probably because that is the first DT album I heard and so I give it a bit of a pass.

This is their best album, with well thought lyrics and the peak of their songwriting and musicianship. A Dramatic Turn of Events was their last decent album. Lost not Forgotten is an 8/10 track. Octavarium was the last album above 6/10.
LTE>DT

Just listen to the concept albums then, they're the best of the discography anyway