Why was Hollywood and all of the film studios constructed on the coast that didn't actually matter...

Why was Hollywood and all of the film studios constructed on the coast that didn't actually matter? Florida could've easily been a better choice for the cinema industry and would have modernized the southern United States in the process.

except dont most major pictures these days get filmed in places like Georgia & Louisiana where states offer huge tax breaks

Yes, NOW-a-days it's easier to film on location (or at least more so); but during the golden age of film, California offered the perfect places to set any film with relatively short distances to travel between "locations"

i came into this thread out of curiosity, thank you for posting this

Because they were trying to escape from the East coast.

I first thought this was one of those "X's view of the world" kind images.

By 1912, major motion-picture companies had set up production near or in Los Angeles.[17] In the early 1900s, most motion picture patents were held by Thomas Edison's Motion Picture Patents Company in New Jersey, and filmmakers were often sued to stop their productions. To escape this, filmmakers began moving out west, where Edison's patents could not be enforced.[18] Also, the weather was ideal and there was quick access to various settings. Los Angeles became the capital of the film industry.[19]

Director D. W. Griffith was the first to make a motion picture in Hollywood. His 17-minute short film In Old California (1910) was filmed for the Biograph Company.[20][21][22] Although Hollywood banned movie theaters—of which it had none—before annexation that year, Los Angeles had no such restriction.[23] The first film by a Hollywood studio, Nestor Motion Picture Company, was shot on October 26, 1911.[24] The Whitley home was used as its set, and the unnamed movie was filmed in the middle of their groves at the corner of Whitley Avenue and Hollywood Boulevard.

TLDR: Hollywood was founded on IP piracy.

Thomas Edison had the stranglehold on the nascent film industry on the east coast and would crush all opposition. Other film innovators moved to California to be away from him where his influence didn't reach.

because joooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooos

why did they drop "LAND" in the sign?

kys

Interesting.

Fucking Edison. The more I learn about him the more I despise him.

I legitimately thought that said "HOLLYWOOD BLAND" and thought 'yep, sounds about right.'

Good luck filming a western in Florida.

Stop using AC

The west coast entertainment industry began to get away from having to pay the licensing fee's for stories and shit that east coast entertainers were forced to pay. Jews essentially monopolized entertainment, so Jews fled the east to out Jew the Jew in the west.

Florida would be awful because of hurricanes season

I kekked

these, it was already a booming area so filming there was cheaper and provided more space, while skirting around legalities. Same reason why Nevada became a big gambling den. Also the mafia

Additionally the budgets were a fraction what they are now.