Why isn't the fretless bass used more often in music (other than jazz)? It sounds so good

Why isn't the fretless bass used more often in music (other than jazz)? It sounds so good
Weather Report - Barbary Coast
Jaco Pastorius - Continuum

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=Bf12rSZVb0k
youtube.com/watch?v=e-PmQ3dFQvs
youtube.com/watch?v=KxwXNICZ5DI
youtube.com/watch?v=ihOzRcQU85M
youtube.com/watch?v=jodxpGvLwzc
youtube.com/watch?v=1CI82hp6Wcw
spreaker.com/user/pumkin-face/sithis
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

most of the kate bush stuff has fretless bass
some police/sting stuff is on fretless

there's a bunch of others i'm sure. i think getting down the intonation is probably why you don't hear it a lot in pop/rock music, but it is there.

why not just draw lines on it so you know where the frets would be

Because it's a lot more difficult than fretted bass and the payoff for putting in the work to master something difficult is shit like sliding harmonics and microtones that have no real place in popular Western music.

Mick Karn of Japan used fretless bass youtube.com/watch?v=Bf12rSZVb0k

some fretless have lines on the neck

personally a fretless bass with nylon tape wound strings is the sexy sounding thing ever

>blocks your path

it turned into a cheesy cliche in the mid 80s

it's still cool though

youtube.com/watch?v=e-PmQ3dFQvs
youtube.com/watch?v=KxwXNICZ5DI

every time I hear a bass part that makes me think "wow, holy shit", I check the credit and it's always Percy Jones

when I got my best friend to listen to Another Green World, the first words out of his mouth were 'who's playing bass because he's fucking amazing'

*bnnnnnnnnnGGGGGGGG*

>no one posted claypool with his baller rainbow bass

he's on this too
youtube.com/watch?v=ihOzRcQU85M

to me, bass is a lazy instrument that doesnt require too much thought and having to worry about intonation on every note is a big burden that im not willing to worry about most of the time

it sounds great when used properly but in most genres its not as useful.

i don't know man when you're talking bass shit he's kind of a given
it's like yeah X is a good guitarist but have you heard a guy named JIMI HENDRIX??? ad infinitum

>it turned into a cheesy cliche in the mid 80s

Basically this

There are tech death bands like Beyond Creation and Obscura

best Percy Jones bassline coming through
youtube.com/watch?v=jodxpGvLwzc

Pino Palladino isn't as showy as some of the others, but he's pretty good

youtube.com/watch?v=1CI82hp6Wcw

might as well go for the original with Cynic

that album is fretless bass kino

career peak for Phil Collins as well

Cause the additional aspects it offers is basically pointless in 99% of popular music. Frettless basses only have a few small benefits that, unless you take a lot of time to master and can effectively add to your playing, is going to really add anything.

It's harder than fretted bass, which makes fretless players harder to find. Because of that, a lot of people don't really know how to make use of the things a fretless bass can do in a band, at least not as well as they can with a fretted bass. This is both from songwriting and production perspectives. You do find some really good fretless playing in technical death metal, though.

They often do.

For what it's worth we recorded this earlier today and I use a fretless bass on it:

spreaker.com/user/pumkin-face/sithis