Anime films are putting Japan’s live actors out of work

>Since 2011, the country’s moviegoers have increasingly chosen animation over live action on a scale that far outstrips similarly sized markets.

>In two of the past three years, 75% of the revenue generated by the top 10 films in Japan have come from animated features.

>Nearly three-quarters of Japan’s Actors’ Union are voice actors, up from 60% 10 years ago, according to union representative Michihiro Ikeumizu.

>“It’s ranked at the top of the most desired professions,” said Ikeumizu. “Especially voice actors who focus on voicing anime. Recently, the marketing of voice actors with proven ability and voice acting talent agencies have increased a lot.”

qz.com/863740/the-massive-success-of-anime-films-like-your-name-is-putting-japans-live-actors-out-of-work/

Other urls found in this thread:

thesocietypages.org/socimages/2010/08/30/guest-post-why-do-the-japanese-draw-themselves-as-white/
youtube.com/watch?v=2DhoBuU1Dtc
youtube.com/watch?v=tmr6VSOW4zU
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Japan's live action industry sucks anyway, even their own people would rather watch Hollywood shit.

Does that mean there was any anime films OTHER than Your Name that were actually worth watching that came out this year?

anime was a mistake

JUST
rip nip kino

They're talking about the shitzillion dollars Yokai Watch made, which is a little disingenuous since it was basically the second coming of Pokemon when it came out.

That movie almost had me in tears.

Good to hear desu. Animation has greater potential anyway.

inb4 assblasted replies

80% of their live actions are just adaptations of anime and manga anyways

>For forty years draw asians as white people with blonde hair and blue eyes
>Giant breasts and super power ninja action
>No actor can possibly compete with this fantasy

What a surprising turn of events

This makes sense though. Animated things the director can make it look exactly how he wants it where in live action they have to coach actors performances and theres lighting and all the shots. Anime is a better medium than live action for this very reason, and its the reason cgi will become the new medium in America over live actors and practical effects

I don't think I've ever heard of or even seen a live action Japanese movie besides that one black and white meme film every pretentious jackoff puts on their list of "holy shit deep".

Isn't it like a cultural thing in Japanese where it's considered low class to actually star in live action television shows and movies and that's why anime is like 95% of their broadcasting with the other 5% being retarded game shows?

>white American anime fans try to justify the Japanese drawing all of their characters as white people with reasons such as "it's because anime is based on manga which was in black and white so it just carried over" and "when Japanese look at anime, they see Japanese characters"
>Japanese like Scarlett Johannssen as the Major in Ghost in the Shell because "it would look more like the anime than if a Japanese actress played the role"

I know we're both going to catch shit for this, but I agree. Seeing the fucking CGfests so divorced from warmth and humanity that Hollywood has turned anything but indie movies into has in some ways ruined my love of of film, at least schlock I used to enjoy and middling tier movies with mild budgets.

At least in anime everything looks unreal because it's clearly drawn, so the suspension of disbelief isn't so jarring. It lets people cut right to the heart of things.

The only thing I need anime as a whole to get better at is "cinematography" for lack of a better word. A lot of it is so boringly "filmed" it looks like Prequel George Lucas directed it. There are some exceptions, but I find that most visuals in anime, at least from perspectives, are severely lacking.

Jap live actors can't act for shit anyway,

>Bullshit pulled directly from your ass

The Japs like Scarlett because she's hot and was in Lost in Translation, a great movie that had their country as one of the finer points of its background.

I'm actually much more flabberghasted at the arrogance required to assume an entire nation of people draws an entire medium with the same intention, much less one that seemingly shuns their society, lives, and the way they look.

But then anti-weebs are so cancerous they actually need a title, as opposed to just a normal person who just doesn't like weebshit.

The Lone Wolf and Cub films are great.

Moana has more heart and is more beautifully animated than any anime shit in the past 5 years though.

Moana was great, but the last five years includes The Tale of the Princess Kaguya and The Wind Rises.

Not really. Frankly I don't see the big deal with Pixar or Dreamworks anymore, the last movie I enjoyed was Zootopia because it was fairly unique, but Moana was the same merchandising garbage everything Disney touches is nowadays.

Fuck's sake pick better animated movies to defend.

>The Wind Rises

I forgot about that movie. Fucking Herzog singing.

>Bullshit pulled directly from your ass

thesocietypages.org/socimages/2010/08/30/guest-post-why-do-the-japanese-draw-themselves-as-white/
youtube.com/watch?v=2DhoBuU1Dtc

Not him but The Wind Rises was like bland Oscar bait. I'll give you Princess Kaguya that film was actually quite artistic.

Anyone excited for the newest Yuasa movie?
youtube.com/watch?v=tmr6VSOW4zU

He's turning The Tatami Galaxy into a movie? For what purpose?

I didn't know Japan had a live-action film industry outside Akira Kurosawa, Takashi Miike, and a few arthouse filmmakers.

>I'm actually much more flabberghasted at the arrogance required to assume an entire nation of people draws an entire medium with the same intention

Nobody said it was on purpose retard. Anime is an extremely simple style, there is no way to make as much variety as an artist wants without eventually changing the hair color and eye color. This immediately makes them stop looking like natural Asian characters, and gee, more like white people, who have those features naturally.

Beautifully made, but I didn't think the story was all that good. When Marnie was There was far more memorable

>Japan actors
>Japan movies
Thank god. This is is horrendous.

>That first link
>They want to think the Japanese worship America or worship whiteness

Hasn't pale skin been the standard of beauty in the Far East for centuries?

GuP movie came out last year

Currently Visiting Japan, just saw force awakens. Almost every preview was for American films as well as no posters or advertisements for Japanese movies outside. It was odd, I felt like I was in the USA still other the subtitles.

> force awakens.
Sorry I'm an idiot I meant rogue one

anime is the superior medium

It's all about the money.

Nip actors are pretty bad desu senpai

What happened since the days of Kurosawa Akira?

japan "live" actors usually encompass a bunch of pop idols who can't act

nothing of value being lost

Wrong.

Even Your Name is just a hackneyed, sappy anime-style romance that offers absolute fuck all to the genre.

Animation is the superior medium.

This is true, can't think of a single good jap film recently

Koe no Katachi is very well thought of, lots of people prefer it even.

is this the movie about the guy that fucks his AU self?

no wonder those nips appear in disney/marvel franchises so often now

Nonsense. Their horror movies used to be god tier.

Naruto did Kaguya better anyway

This is actually true but it has been so long that most people won't remember. Japan used to also put out a lot of really quality horror vidya gaems as well.

But how long has it been since the last good Japanese horror? At least the west is putting out content. And while It Follows wasn't quite to my taste I was very pleasantly surprised with Babadook.

To be honest makes sense if you consider how expensive is to rent several locations and how the tax incentives countries are literally at the other side of the planet.

there's a board for opinions more pleb than Sup Forums