Who are some directors like john carpenter and paul verhoeven that take sincere, artistic...

who are some directors like john carpenter and paul verhoeven that take sincere, artistic, and original approaches to traditional genre films?

i hate that well made genre works have become so ironic by nature. the tarantinos of the world have got me down, and the only alternative seems to be tepid studio work with no creative vision.

Tobe Hooper, Joe Dante, BDP, Rob Zombie, George Lucas

Mann Dante Romero milius Leone Melville argento

i suppose i was not clear, i am looking for more recent/lesser known filmmakers. brian depalma is just the kind of filmmaker i am looking for though.

Park chan wook, Johnnie to, tsui hark, bong jong ho, Edgar Wright, Sam raimi, del taco, refn, Rob zombie, James gray, Abel Ferrara, friedkin, bayona padhilla

Just watch more Carpenter. Watch them again if you've seen them all. Nothing else will ever come close.

out of curiosity which post-modern genre films are you referencing?

rank the carpenter anyone?

escape from la > halloween > the thing > escape from ny > assault on precinct 13 > big trouble in little china > they live > christine > starman > memoirs of an invisible man > the fog > in the mouth of madness > vampires > village of the damned > prince of darkness > ghosts of mars > the ward

The Thing > Big Trouble in Little China > Prince of Darkness > Escape From New York > Ghosts of Mars > They Live > Escape From LA > Halloween > In The Mouth of Madness > Assault of Precinct 13 > Christine > Someone's Watching Me > The Fog > Vampires > Cigarette Burns > The Ward > Village of the Damned > Starman > Memoirs of an Invisible Man > Body Bags > Pro-Life

Not really recent or lesser known but you might like the works of William Friedkin

i do! sorcerer is my personal favorite of his

What appealed to you about prince of darkness and ghosts of mars?

You find Verhoeven sincere?

I wouldn't exactly call him ironic - but it's something odd. Like accellerationist or something.

My nigga
Thanks for reminding me I still need to get my yearly viewing of that in

Haven't seen is entire filmography, but notwithstanding...

Big Trouble in Little China > They Live > The Thing > Escape From New York > Halloween > The Fog > The Village of the Damned

Michael Mann

satiric

have you seen wages of fear? it's great too. a rare case where both the original and remake are equally great in their own ways

he's too sincere is what he is.

Blomkampf tries so hard to be like them, except not original nor sincere

I've been putting it off for a long time but I should watch it right after Sorcerer this time

Saulnier

I find there's usually a specific "grit" and soul to movies made by people who grew up during really difficult times, like the war, who could have faced death. They're angrier and wiser, more meaningful and accomplished. You have a lot of that until the 70's, and it disappears by the 80's. Think of people like Peckinpah, they wouldn't be making movies today. Verhoeven was a kid during WW2. When I see a modern war film, western or chambara, nothing ever feels genuine, rough, but it often feels fake, immature, vulgar.

There's also a death of the great screenwriter, with real life experiences and socio-political consciousness, sometimes radical worldviews. Sorcerer was written by Walon Green, who also wrote Peckinpah's The Wild Bunch. Also wrote the Crusade script that Verhoeven was supposed to direct with Arnold, which is amazing and could have topped Conan or Flesh and Blood. This guy was intense and had real balls but also a real work ethic and was cultured, had military experiences, worked blue-collar jobs, traveled and lived in dangerous countries like Noriega's Panama,etc. before he ever sat down behind a typewriter. It's a dying breed.

aronofsky

Wes Craven. But he's nowhere near as good, obviously.

John McTiernan, when he's making good genre films (or was).

Walter Hill is hit and miss too.

Joe Dante, but he operated at the kid friendly end.

Romero obviously, but...well, he's way more miss than hit.

Cronenberg, though he errs more towards art than genre most of the time.

The boys in Korea are putting out the best genre work currently. Park Chan Wook, Lee Woo Jin and Bong Joon Ho do some great genre stuff if you can stand the subtitles. Bong's The Host is the greatest monster movie in the last decade, and Park's Thirst is up there too.

okay but aronofsky is good i dont care about director talk

I read an old interview in a physical magazine back from Starship Troopers came out. They were talking to Verhoeven about the obvious Nazi parallels, and how the violence affected him as a child seeing it.

He said it was traumatic in the sense that most people think of, he said he actually found it very exciting and arousing.

This seems pretty clear from his films. He didn't hide behind "I want violence to look as real as possible because that's respectful to how it is irl" etc etc.

He said he just really enjoys violence and sex and showing it in all it's glory in his films.

Did you see Elle? Dude isn't going to be coming back to the U.S. anytime soon with his peculiar tastes.

You post like you're Dick Van Dyke circa 1964

Sounds kind of dickish of Cronenberg, but he surpassed JC as a filmmaker and should take himself seriously.

I would have said James Wan a couple years ago before he got sucked into the capeshit machine

The two movies that Richard Stanley made are great. He was going to be the next Verhoeven for sure before Hollywood destroyed him for being too cool.

>Hardware
>Dust Devil: Director's Cut

Have a somewhat fun time. Also keep an eye out for Panos Cosmatos. I expect big things from him.

>Panos Costmatos

Genuinely curious what's going on there.

You would have thought he would have been offered every reboot or comic book or video game film under the sun.

But he hasn't done a single thing.

Is he the new Chris Cunningham?

He's a great "pervert" filmmaker. Even in interviews, I can't take what he says at face value, like he's always playing a game. This moral ambiguity/contradiction is the great thing about ST, it works on so many levels, it's beyond irony or satire, he makes fun of Riefenstahl aesthetics while also jerking off to them. I've seen just as much progressive leftists and far-rightists hail it as a masterpiece, it appeals to both sides sincerely; while also trolling them both. Tonally there's no other movie quite like it. Plus it's just so damn fun and entertaining.

Shame he's basically blacklisted. Same with McTiernan, forgotten because he's not provocative, but action movies owe him so much. No one supported him publicly during his legal troubles (for a somewhat noble reason, spying on a producer out of artistic integrity because he was worried his work was getting butchered), meanwhile Jewish pedo like Polanski gets massive support from the tribe. The three most successful and influential action filmmakers from the 80-90's, whose works still get raped, rebooted, remade by studio hacks, two of them are blacklisted to the complete indifferent of cinephiles and fanboys because they didn't compromise, while the third one became the king of Hollywood by pandering to women and kids. Makes you think.

Last I heard he's made some kind of deal with Spectrevision (Elijah Woods' niche horror movie company) to make another movie. Same with Stanley. Elijah Woods knows what's up.

Who are the three action filmmakers? Verhoeven, Cameron and...? Is Cameron the one who pandered to women and kids?

Monte Hellman

Almodóvar

After Die Hard with a Vengeance McTiernan didn't made anything remotely memorable where as someone like Polanski still makes interesting films despite spending decades avoiding extradition back to America.

Just said in the post, user: McTiernan. Made Die Hard, Predator, Die Hard 3 (first action film shot with a handheld documentary style before it became an awful trend), Red October...

He should be more loved on Sup Forums, on par with Carpenter or Verhoeven. But for some reason, he always flies under the radar, despite his craft being so elegant, precise, timeless, innovative. He had such an amazing sense of tempo and framing, an ability to create incredibly tense or viscerally enjoyable set pieces unrivaled by any filmmaker today, made pop blockbusters that still carried thematic meaning and never treated audiences with cynicism. It annoys me when I see people say Predator is only good "because Arnold". McT is an invisible master.

Yes Cameron made the two biggest hits in film history by being women (Titanic) and kids (Avatar) friendly. Not criticizing him, but even he wouldn't be able to make films like Terminator 1 or Aliens anymore.

I never cared much for McTiernan's stuff. Nothing he's made feels exceptionally distinct like it's got his particular mark on it. I think that Predator is actually a shitty movie too.

And why would Cameron want to make Terminator or Aliens now? He can make space-age supermovies and revolutionize the medium any time he feels like leaving the ocean.

Two fucking hacks that haven't made any relevant jack shit in the past 20 years? So maybe Brian De Palma and Francis Ford Coppola

same. creature design is cool and the helicopter scene is a lot of fun. rest of the film sucks.

i always thought shane black wrote it for some reason. just realized im wrong

De Palma in his prime was GOAT though. Phantom of the Paradise is better than Rocky Horror.

Totally enjoyed both. Guy has potential.

De Palma's films are all an hour longer than they need to be.

Phantom of the Paradise is only about 15 minutes too long.