Scaruffi on To Pimp A Butterfly:

Scaruffi on To Pimp A Butterfly:

"This is a superficial and, ultimately, middle-of-the-road album from an artist who lacks the visceral energy of Public Enemy and Tackhead while also lacking the poetic depth of Kanye West and the musical genius of El-P."

How far did he miss the mark?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=OZptOs8Gu9k
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

Not at all, desu. And I love GKMC and TPAB to death but there's no way it's as good as GKMC.

By a country mile
Isn't this guy a computer programmer?

I honestly believe he hasn't heard any of those artists

"Middle of the road" though?

>while also lacking the poetic depth of Kanye West
>Kanye West
>having any sort of poetic depth at all

He aimed for Jupiter and hit his own dick.

ok fair enough but "poetic depth of kanye west"?

Why can't virgins understand Kanye's music?

How come he's so liberal in his uses of the word masterpiece, genius, legend etc. I think on a ghost face review he called MF DOOM "beat smith master" along with a few others. He said the same about Leonard Cohen's first three albums despite giving them 8 and 7s. Is it just a translation issue?

>Kanye
>a Chad
Please. Kanye is garbage.

If Kanye's garbage then Kendrick's a landfill. Get some taste nigger.

Yeah, a landfill of diamonds. Kanye is sewer piss from a diseased rat that came out of a dog's mouth.

Eh. I give it a 7.5 personally, which is like a 5/10 on ScaruffiScale(tm).

TBAP is nowhere near as good as GKMC. He got the score right for the former, but missed the latter by a long, long shot.

>poetic depth of Kanye West
Said the man who doesn't speak English

Scaruffi is wrong about TPAB not being great
He is correct on the point about Kanye West though.

Kanye has some of the best lyrics of any artist, hip hop or otherwise

Yeah? Who's better?

Kanye's lyrics are much more emotionally resonant than Kendrick's. "Goodbye my friend, will I ever love again" says more with less than a bunch of wordy, rappity rap sophistry.

I think tpab is better, but gkmc is an easier listen

>Yeah, a landfill of diamonds.

Lyrics aren't even his strength, I like both of them and personally like GKMC better but just because Kayne is more direct with his lyrics doesn't necessarily mean he's a better writer

I can name at least a dozen kanye songs that have emotionally affected me more than kendricks entire discography put together.
Not saying Kendrick is bad.

But lyrics lack the emotional depth kanye has

you must not be black

you must not be black

I just disagree with you on that, you're presenting your opinion like it's an objective fact but it's just an opinion. I'm more affected by Kendrick songs generally not saying either of us are wrong here

They're both great artists so whatever. But Kanye is a much more affecting lyricist to me. Compare a song like Runaway to a song like u. Kendrick can rap circles around Kanye (though not on No More Parties in LA, apparently), but Kanye has a different level of depth on an emotional level.

Out of touch elderly Italian says something out of touch and stupid.

More at 6.

Well if it isn't fucking Crazium
remember me? The user who took your name?

>El-P
>Musical genius

Gotcha, to each his own. I really fucking like that Kendrick song actually his delivery gets me. I think I resonate more with the lyrics on some of Kayne's older stuff like LR even though I fuck with the production on Runaway and that entire album. Lyrics and delivery on Drive Slow and We Major I probably prefer to most kendrick output

youtube.com/watch?v=OZptOs8Gu9k

drop your trip please

Don't blame Kendrick, he had very little to do with making this album.

what went wrong?

Scaruffi would hate this album

>poetic depth of Kanye West and the musical genius of El-P
those names should be switched

This

>lacking the poetic depth of Kanye West
I respect this dude but Kanye's lyrical "depth" doesn't come from his poeticism. It's his direct-ness in telling what he actually feels with a mix of his egotistical persona to subvert expectations. This is fucking stupid.

scaruffi is a hack with old man pedo taste, his reviews only reflect his shit old man opinion

>visceral energy of Public enemy and Tackhead
>musical genius of El-P

Yeah he missed the mark by far.

I'm the real Crazium losers.

"Goodbye my friend, will I ever love again?"
Wow so deep lmao.
Is this the best niggers can do?

The directness is what makes it so fucking good.

Kanyes lyrics (coupled with his perfectly evocative and emotional delivery of them) is what makes him so capable of drawing out intense emotion out of his listeners.

There's only 1 artist that can, on a discographial level, exceed kanye at being able to make me feel strong emotions.

you must not be black

are you guys 5

>the poetic depth of Kanye West
NOW IF I FUCK THIS MODEL

>Complexity makes it good!
What a fag. There's poetry in being direct and blunt. Kendrick can take a simple topic and try to be deep and dance around it and that doesn't add extra meaning to the topic, that's just self wankery. Kanye saying "I sent this bitch a picture of my dick. I don't know what it is with females but I'm not too good at that shit" resonates with people because he's just being emotionally honest. Something Kendrick is unable to do, hence why on 'u' he speaks in 3rd person.

For me Kanye's main appeal has always come from his production and sampling, not his lyrics. They have their moments but damn for such a 'visionary genius of the rap game', Kanye's lyrics are often just brash (wowee i get it, he's aware of his own narcissism), surfacey and even schizophrenic

Runaway works on the most part for me, I get into it, I enjoy Pusha's verse, but when moments such as Kanye's high pitched "Let's have a toast for the douchebags ... for the assholes" play, or when I finally pay attention to the crass confessional on infidelity/relationship troubles, I just can't help but feel that the sound is a league beyond the lyrics. If you're in a particular headspace, perhaps what Kanye says has relevance and hey maybe even achieves an emotional impact, but its pretty lowbrow, or if i rephrase less snobbishly, it isn't poetically deep.