Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=0si0fB0lnow
youtube.com/watch?v=zUwEIt9ez7M
youtube.com/watch?v=x1mV_5-bRPo
youtube.com/watch?v=LGdyVnW86SY
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

youtube.com/watch?v=0si0fB0lnow

Keep at it, learn scales.

Keep practicing how long have you been playing? The first year and a half learning an instrument is always the worst. It won't feel like you're making progress but you are it takes a lot of time especially if you only put an hour or two a day.

dont give up

Yeah, when you’re starting an instrument a lot of the time it feels like the scales and chords are pre-music. Pre-music is fun for no one. Once you can play an actual song, you can reverse engineer it and figure out how the songwriter used the boring ass pre-Music bullshit to actually make music

Don't worry, guitar music hasn't made any progress since the 90s

Played guitar for 7 years now, never learned scales. Not officially, anyway. I can figure out the shapes needed for whatever song but I couldn't communicate what I'm playing to someone else in any meaningful way other than just playing it

its cool man... I have been a shitty guitarist that has been perpetually stuck at mediocrity for years.

I can play complex rhythms and muted chords/bar chords etc, but if you ask me to play a riff or do a solo or scale, I'm fucking lost and my finger muscles wanna have a seizure

been playing in bands as singer/rhythm my whole life since I was 15 and I haven't gotten ANY better whatsoever lmao. thats life... i might take lessons or something someday because i really would like to learn how to do a fuckin rock solo

Exactly there's a lot of "oh shit that's how this works" moments during that phase. Which is generally how you can tell you're making progress and it slowly starts making more and more sense. All about not giving up.

youtube.com/watch?v=zUwEIt9ez7M

I am this guy: and I actually agree with you about the pre-music sentiment.

I pick up my guitar with the intention of trying to practice scales and do some work, but then I end up strumming the guitar and jamming on a progression and it all goes to shit and I lose my motivation for twinkle twinkle little star note-by-note when I can just play a nice thick progression and start singing along to whatever is in my head...

Also a good practice routine is play along to backing tracks. Helps train your ear and staying in key across the fretboard instead of just the scale shape. Plus it gets you used to playing with other instruments and following with them.

youtube.com/watch?v=x1mV_5-bRPo

here

Yeh, have you tried hard work and not being a fat pussy? It worked for me

Don't worry champ. Just believe in yourself really hard and you'll get there in no time

youtube.com/watch?v=LGdyVnW86SY

Genuinely awful. Its a good thing they got better.

I don't know how to play a bass. I know how to read a tab, but I suck at everything else.
I don't know many of the terms for things, my timing is off (sometimes I play too fast, other times too slow), also I'm really sloppy and I keep hitting the other chords and it takes me a long ass time to reach another note. How do I git gud?

Objectively wrong.

By practising more, obviously. Don't hurry too much, set a metronome to a comfortably slow tempo and focus on getting the right notes out at the right time. Once your hands and brain thoroughly understand what it is you want them to do you should be able to gradually build up the tempo until you're playing at full speed.
It can't be overstated how imporant it is to practise slowly at first, a lot of people feel the urge to go at full speed immediately and then get angry/depressed when they can't get it right.