Why are Brits so proud about an event where Hitler let their soldiers tuck tail and run...

Why are Brits so proud about an event where Hitler let their soldiers tuck tail and run, leaving tons of vital munitions, vehicles and equipment while French troops provided cover for their escape?

Treating it like a goddamn victory instead of the utter embarrassment it really was.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=30zCrB42Mpg
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

It's like you think this point is something new and revelatory when it's been a part of historical analysis of the event ever since it happened

Why is every Nolan poster just 1 dude against a blue tinted backdrop?

>Treating it like a goddamn victory
>implying

Stop watching superhero movies. Movies can be about tragedies too, you know....

anyone else find war movies to be insufferably boring 95% of the time?

not looking forward to this one at all.

Hey now, The Dark Knight Rises was orange pal.

I wanna punch every fucker in the dick who tells he they liked The Thin Reddit Line.

This is why
youtube.com/watch?v=30zCrB42Mpg

Pfft my family didn't come to the UK until the 70's. I appreciate that their deaths gave my family a job opportunity though.

With a couple obvious exceptions like Band of Brothers I find historical analyses or historical accounts to be more interesting than movies for war. Something fictional or schlocky is fine like Inglorious Basterds, but most "based on events" type war movies I find end up just being action movies with a thin veneer of nationalism.

Aesthetics

yeah that's basically how i feel too. agreed about band of brothers being part of that 5% though, even though it's not a movie.

Films can be about portraying a certain event, i know americans have to have a cool hero on screen that kills hundreds by himself before dying heroically. But sometimes films dont need to have that, some films just tell a story no matter how exciting or how it makes your country look

Exactly. Blue and orange, just like Max Landis describes.

why do frenchies keep making threads about a foreign filmmaker making a foreign film about foreign troops?

do you ever see english speakers complain at your little french films that have $Million gross?

why dont you make a french film with french money and french actors depicting french soldiers?

that's usually because the director is more interested in the psychological impact of war rather than the tactical process.

You probably know it already, but look up 'The Great War' on youtube. Brilliant channel.

They're not celebrating the soldiers (alone at least they definitely had a shit one) it's more to do with the civilians who took their boats (or where requisitioned) into crossing the Channel to save them. It was a brave bit of sailing and came to embody the United British War Effort.

As an Island nation a lot of Britain is boaty as fuck and these areas fap over this sort of sea story.

Appreciate it. Will take a look.

That was the joke.

>just like Max Landis describes
Whoah.. is max landis.. a genius.....

Fucking retard.

>burger thinks every war movie has to follow the "five Americans mow down 3000 German soldiers while reminiscing of muh countra farm back home" formula

Pfft, get off the high horse. Let's not forget Amerifats botched Operation Market Garden like a bunch of trigger happy retards who thought they could win the war in a couple months.

It was just a reference mate, don't have a cow.

t. Angry frog eating bastard

>It's the the Americans' fault for Market Garden

>Not this motherfucker

>blaming Americans for a British planned and lead operation

You what? Maybe if all the fuel was given to Patton and he fucked up you could blame the Americans, but they gave Montgomery the big "final push" and shit went sideways because the entire plan required everything to funnel through a single highway guarded by way more Germans than intelligence predicted. I fail to see how "trigger happy Americans" botched this operation, as it was primarily an intelligence failure plus an overly ambitious plan.

>from the director of The Dark Knight Rises

Who will Nolan kill to promote the movie this time?

That's the 1st grade history channel version which has been perpetuated by US Germanaphiles and Whereaboos for decades.

It's predicated upon a late war understanding of the capabilities of ad hoc battle groups to prosecute assaults against retreating (it was not a rout) forces effectively. It took ALL armies several years to learn - the Whermacht was LUCKY in France that it's over-extended assault did not get absolutely raped by counter thrusts from the South. French C3 was just too slow.

In reality if we look at PRIMARY military sources and staff DOCTRINE as opposed to propoganda and political sources we see the following:

The Panzer Armee was VASTLY ahead of where it should have been even given the freedom of action envisaged by Blitzkrieg.

Running tanks is a bit more complex than just chucking fuel and ammo into they still required spares and maint.

So the Army Group level called a halt on the advance after the pocket had been invested. If they had continued they would have been unable to concentrate sufficient force and would have been wrecked by light arty firing over open sights and naval gunfire.

Also it would have chewed up the remaining high quality panzers before the pivot south to deal with the several million man french army.

This is why the panzers had a 3 day stop order. Everything else is a myth. When the advance did begin again with high levels of infantry support it too got absolutely mulched by dug in defenders.

Also a very high number of forces evacuated in the most complex short timetable operations ever undertaken (hence why it's viewed in such high regard) were RE-INSERTED with full kit back into the fight which went on for another 3 weeks.

Dunkirk was a strategic movement by sea not a retreat - it was only the rapid and unexpected capitulation of the French (thanks to Vichy) that led to the meme that Dunkirk was an epic evacuation rather than an epic sea borne redeployment of a front stablizing Corps+ force.

>mfw this delusional cuck

The eternal anglo rewriting history again.

Literally everyone the movie is based on lets just say Time machines are involved ok

Hmmmm?

Care to point out the flaws in my analysis? I can quote you the German orders from HQ down to regimental level for the days in question if it helps educate you.

There was a six hour window that the Germans may have been able to push through to the North end of the beach at the beginning of the investment, which is where a lot of the "if Hitler hadn't stopped the tanks the entire BEF would have been wiped out".

But what that push would have looked like with the 17 servicible light AFV available in the area up against a brace of destroyers with experienced NGF gunners backed by CL on station off shore is something of a debate.

Do go on though.

it's the mark of official kino

Actually to be super positive about the French - if Rommel had countermanned the orders he recieved from HQ using his connections with the Reich Chancellory then the following would have happened:

The forces defending the perimeter beat off the uncoordinated attacks by the tired and disorganised German forces.

The pushing forward of armour without waiting for supporting infantry and artiller causes panzer losses to be particularly heavy, affecting the rest of the campaign.

After the stalling of the attacks, many troops and their equipment are successfully moved from the pocket and back to France, allowing a mobile reserve to be created. The remaining perimeter is held to tie down forces in the German rear and is resupplied by sea.

This misdirection of German forces allows the French army time to reorganise in front of Paris, and the front stabilises.

Greater Franco-British production and vast imperial manpower sees the defeat of Germany, not flush with war booty, in 1943.

>Why are Brits so proud about an event where Hitler let their soldiers tuck tail and run, leaving tons of vital munitions, vehicles and equipment while French troops provided cover for their escape?

>Treating it like a goddamn victory instead of the utter embarrassment it really was.

We could always make more Vietnam movies if you are feeling left out pal.

>Congratulations, Briten, you've got yourselves caught. What's the next step of your anglo plan?
>Escaping this beach...with no french survivors

I don't think we are proud of it 2bh but we honour the those who died fighting for our country and that's what this film will be about

>Hack Nolan blatantly stealing Star Trek: Into Kino poster for his flick

>tfw feel terrible about this movie
Why couldn't the British just sent one little message saying let's try being friends. They were obviously let go. Communism would of been crushed before it even began.

I think I'm a reincarnation of some German high commander.

Because it's not an American movie. Americans are always to proud and optimistic, Brits are by nature more pessimistic. They love tragedies. Just look at Shakespeare. But for most, it's a story about human nature and helpesness. Why can't they make a movie about that? Do you just want movies that scream AMERICA FUCK YEH?

>Treating it like a goddamn victory

Where?
You are used to american war movies where americans are always shown as true hero winners, while I am sure Nolan is going for a far more bleak and balanced approach between the two sides with lot's of exposition and quality set pieces

Kino purposes

I dunno, why are Burger Eagles always talking about how they saved everyone's ass in WWII when Russia won the war ?

user, user, user... you're trying to argue a nuanced historical position on tv... give up.

Nobody here cares about actual facts or about structural defects in the French/BEF, brought about by war1 war exhaustion

You should try something simple like

"Lol Brits had to leggit when the cowardly frenchies chucked in the towel at the first wiff of a scrap"

Because you can't spin capitulation and collaboration into a victory story no matter how hard you try.

DUNKIRK?

nothing in the trailer looked like it was treating it like a victory you delusional retard

this is literal projection. American war movies are consistently massive re-writes of history to paint the US in a favourable light. brit war movies are, as a rule, much more self-critical.

not that i expect anything but shite from nolan, of course.

One of the better comments I have read on Sup Forums

>implying the based brits would strike a deal with the devil
>implying the british would ally with the armies of doom

the nazis were doomed as soon as they stepped foot on the same continent as the brits.

One of the better excuse making shitposts maybe.

>Be french
>Build the Maginot line
>Don't bother building it along the border with Belgium, because you're lazy cheese eating fucks
>Germany invades Belgium and it folds like a hot mars bar
>Germans flood through the """"impenetruable"""" Ardennes forrest
>Allies are forced to retreat because the French can't be trusted to not be retarded

>Churchill the betrayer
>Not Satan himself

so you're saying that Based Hitler did nothing wrong

Is this the legendary British banter I've heard so much about?

>American war movies are consistently massive re-writes of history to paint the US in a favourable light.
Yeah, I remember all of those Vietnam movies that did this. Great point, user. Excellent stuff here.

>Victory
>Trailer basically shows men dead on the beaches
>Royal navy and random fisherman desperately trying to cover and rescue troops
>implying
>2016
>I Seriously hope you guys don't do this

>You now realise that we sent troops back to France to try and help the French
>We took thousands of French soldiers back to England even when the French Marshall was being an utter cunt
>The allies could have held northern France if the French weren't such defeatist cucks

Honestly being lectured by a Frenchman about war is the worst part.

What is the single most outlandish military operation executed in modern times? Best I can think of is Operation Entebbe.

A guy that isn't big, for him.

>when Russia won the war ?
Its more accurate to say Germany lost the war than anyone really beat them. The third reich bit off more than it could chew, and early victories emboldened bad decision making that ultimately lost them the war.

Keked and Czeched.

>implying hundreds of old salty fishermen and sailboaters riding their boats into machine gun fire to rescue their countrymen isn't the stuff of fucking legend

>Kills ledger in dark knight
>a theater full of people for DKR
>My soul in interstellar
The logical conclusion is that this movie will spark a nuclear exchange leading to WWIII.

t. i read a history book once

i'm so tired of you retard "us against the hordes of dumb 4channersXD" posts, fuck off you mouthbreathing cunt and comment on youtube

pig bay invasion

>As an Island nation a lot of Britain is boaty as fuck and these areas fap over this sort of sea story.
BIG BUDGET BATTLE OF TRAFALGAR MOVIE WHEN?!?

I know the perfect man to play Nelson

I'm terribly upset that this managed to elicit an audible kek from me.

t. Salty faggot without a leg to stand on

When retards post the same shitty "joke" ad nauseum it's bound to happen, just as long as you realize you're a bad person for doing so

>i dont you think understand quite right, user, you see i am currently enrolled in a prestigious community college's history 101 ackshually

thats how we know we have another kino quality production coming from him

I'm super impressed by your ability to articulate.

>Hack Jar-Jar Abrams blatantly stealing Inception poster for his flick

They would mangle it. I know they would.