>muh meme encode

>x265

why

smaller file sizes

t. 3rd world

Should work fine, it's probably just your network

Plex is pretty fucking dope, it's you

post your recently added Plexes lads

grils love plex desu. next time don't download x265 which are just transcoded x264 done by talentless weebs

I use Kodi as a program to browse my films which then opens them up in Potplayer. So I dont' use it for streaming.

Can I do same with Plex?

How? It's not like it has to use any bandwidth since I'm using local network and not remote

Not Plex's fault your client hardware is shit.

>How? It's not like it has to use any bandwidth since I'm using local network and not remote

What? It all depends of your actual bandwith no matter if its local or remote.

If you have a 1mb network (local or remote) it will be laggy without transocindg

If you have 700mb bandwith nw you can't choke it no matter what

no. plex media player uses mpv not dudeweedplayer

Sounds like a personal problem. My friend uses Plex to stream something like 14 tb of media from his home server to everyone who he has handed out login info to.

It streams fine. Even through a chrome cast plugged into a tv.

Does he charge people for access to his own personal netflix? Because he should be.

Get a Better CPU with a dedicated x265 encoder/decoder.

I changed my router.
I didn't blame the program, I found the problem.

I've been busy reading and playing vidya

>he does it for free

Nope. He does it for free. I think he wanted to do it to see if he could do it and do it successfully. Him and a few friends put it all together and did some basic coding to get the server up and running. During the summer the server room is all nice and cold from the AC but the rest of place is stuffy and hot except the bedrooms. If you need a place to pass out then the server room is the place to be in the summer. Too much beer.

>I hate efficiency

t. Cuck

It doesn't use any data on your home network. You can even disconnect your Internet and still watch all your stuff.

>it's stuttering and looks like shit but at least it's efficient

t. retard

You still have local network and it is entirely, the same, dependent of the bandwith. The data doesn't will itself from one place to another, it must go through the (local) network.

Try turning down your encoding and resolution. Some movies I have to stream at 720p at a lower whatever that shit is called - bitrate or encoding speed or whatever the fuck.

Also why won't Evangeline 2.22 fucking work anymore? It won't go to my tv. Starts for a second then goes back to the menu with a pop-up on my phone that says "Video could not be played" or something. Even low quality.

So how does it work then? When i tried to watch from remote access at my m8s house it would buffer every 2 seconds due to my atrocious upload speed, but everything that's non-x265 plays fine on my local network

Like any network.

The transcoding might be shit, but that's different issue.

Your local network has bandwidth too, internet access has nothing to do with it. Do you use wifi?

Is there a way to get rid of the episode number icon for tv shows?

Those are unwatched episodes. Just mark them all as watched.

i'm an idiot. thanks.

Why would anyone use Plex over Kodi?

>x265
Fucking want to murder every cumstain who uploads that bullshit

For me it's because Kodi won't let me view my library from the homescreen when i'm accessing it from a tablet or phone. I have to go into video, then files and search

I have an LG tv

because I can get to my movies/tv shows faster on plex. And kodi is just for shit I don't want to download and don't care about shit quality.

I have a sony bravia and I use both. It's fucking great.

Makes sense. It works pretty well for me. I like the Sybu remote.

I haven't extensively used Exodus but I tested it out once. Streamed Prisoners for a minute and it seemed like it was at least Netflix quality if not better.

what the hell

you dont need to hand out log in info. you just invite them to your server

>

There's any good kodi guide?

google

There's no Kodi app for LG, but there's a Plex one

or actually watch them :^)

what guide

i dont' get what you are asking

that's what you get for buying a shit tv.

your server is shit

he wants a guide for the messy stream plugins that constantly break and look like shit

>set up exodus months ago
>haven't had to do shit
>regularly enjoy watching whatever the fuck I want

I remember when streaming was just shit not both complicated, prone to breaking and shit.

Some guide that isnt out dated, the last time i messed with a media center it was for my xbox huge

Those streams are always so low quality who even gives a shit.

No.

>watch masterchef the professionals on BBC usa channel, love the show
>they stop airing it
>look it up on kodi
>it's there with all the seasons plus the current one that is airing
>streams flawlessly in hd
nigga wut?

>watch masterchef the professionals
lol.
jfc

he probably should've indicated "free" as well.

>some of them still have their torrent names

triggered

enjoy your eye cancer

>what did he mean by this?

Get potplayer.

Get Universal Media Server ya fucking pleb

>and did some basic coding
Either bullshit, or they did WAY more work than they need to, given the entire fucking point of Plex is to do that for you.

"meme" is what anons call something when they hate it but don't have any rational-sounding reason why.

Have you tried not running it on a toaster? Sounds like your machine can't keep up with the transcoding job, which means it's a piece of shit because seriously, it doesn't take THAT much cpu power.

How come Plex can't find/start a server when I launch? Do I need to pay?

Kodi + Exodus

Kill yourself. Either you're one of those retards who doesn't realize the compression ratio is more important than the encoding, or you're a retarded file quality nazi who can't figure out why most people don't want to save a show at 4GB/episode for an indistinguishable increase in quality.

x265 > x264

My TV folder has 7,882 files. They can't all be in uncompressed 1080p or 4k blu-ray rips.

Compression is useful. If it can retain 80% of the quality - maybe not enough to see the film grain and count every damn hair on the main character's face, but enough to not distract from enjoying the show on its merits - for 20% of the filesize, that's just fucking wonderful because it means I can keep a large collection instead of wanking over how the dozen shows I do have sure do look marginally prettier.

The only gripe I have with compression is when the color depth gets too shallow. It really bothers me when what's supposed to be a black or grey screen turns into two or three blobs of color.

BANDING IS THE WORST CANCER OF COMPRESSION

X265 IS MORE EFFICIENT THAN X264 BUT REQUIRES BETTER HARDWARE TO DECODE, ESPECIALLY AT HIGH BITRATE OR HIGH FRAMERATE

YOU CAN GET A 15GB X264 1080P BLURAY REMUX DOWN TO AROUND 8GB X265 WITH NO PERCEPTIBLE LOSS OF QUALITY

ITT idiots who don't know what the fuck x265 is

I have 1000 movies on my hard disc because of this codec, enjoy your x264 shit from last decade cucks

You'd only need around 300tb to hold that.

Drives that size will be pretty cheap in about ten years.

this

A lot of x265 rips look bad not because they're x265 but because they're too compressed. At the end of the day, better quality still = higher filesize and for a 45 minute TV episode a 1GB 1080p rip is still going to be vastly superior to a 200mb 1080p rip.

Additionally, a lot of x265 rips available are encoded from x264 releases rather than from an uncompressed source. Compressing an already compressed video magnifies its quality issues and fucking retards who know just enough to draw stupid conclusions end up thinking it's an inherent problem with x265.

But I'd rather have a 1GB x265 encode than a 1GB x264 encode. Think of it that way and you'll find x264 offers no real practical advantage whatsoever to x265. And I'm tired of shitters holding the scene back bitching that x265 looks worse in away they can never quite prove in side-by-side comparisons from two sources of equal filesize encoded from the same raw source (NOT encoded from an already compressed source like most groups release their x265s in).

At which point we'll be arguing if a movie in 100mb x267 at 8k is acceptable or if we really should stick with x266 even if the same movie is more like 250mb.

All of the x265 rips that I've seen look like shit.

x264 for me until they learn to use it wathever

This.

Cheap servers can't handle 1080p streaming. You need to fork out a bit to get a proper server.

I know this because I'm looking into building a Plex media library. For those of you who have it: is it worth it? Or is it one of *those* things you think is cool for the first month then never use again...

>300tb
wat

I got an unused laptop running Ubuntu, headless torrent, and Plex. Handles everything well. I think it only has a mobile i5?

Ita not really coding but he still sounds like major bro.Should do that aswell with rare movies I got so my friends can enjoy them.

I use it all the time. I guess it depends on how much TV/movies you watch away from your computer. Not really worth it if you're watching a file on your computer itself since you can just bring it up in a media player obviously.

I have hundreds of movies and over a hundred TV shows for instance and with the exception of new episodes on air night and the occasional new movie I almost exclusively watch my TV and movies out of my collection. So I get a lot of use out of it since it plays really nice with my Roku. I have unlimited data on my phone, so I can watch TV on the go a lot too.

If you put it on a lower-end NAS or server box it might have trouble transcoding CPU-heavy encodes or large files like 1080p, but even an average desktop PC should have no problem at all nor should a good NAS box.

THE PROBLEM WITH THIS IS UPSTREAM, THEN DISK I/O

RESIDENTIAL INTERNET CONNECTIONS ARE GENERALLY SHIT, STREAMING TO MANY CLIENTS WILL STUTTER AND BUFFER, SAME AS READING TOO MANY HIGH BITRATE FILES OFF THE SAME DISK

7732676X

kill urself stupid caps lock poster

You're kinda stupid, ya know?

People bitch about yify because its bitstarved garbage with lower audio/visual fidelity than upscaled dvdrips while being larger than upscaled dvdrips.

Newer codecs being able to pull higher visual fidelity from lower bitrates (at the cost of taking much longer to encode) aren't in debate. They're just less popular than older codecs because rips in older formats are easier to put out.

dude your motherless link is 404

People bitch about yify partly because it looks like garbage and more often because it's sometimes the only encode you can find especially for any movie that's been out for a few years. That's not a problem with the compression standard they use, but the settings with which they use it.

And no, quite a few people delude themselves into thinking x265 looks worse than x264 as a rule, including people in this very thread if you bother to read the thread before replying to it.

Literally every x265 rip I've seen looks garbage, as long as it continues to look like shit I wont bother with it.

It's most likely one of three things:

A: Your standards for quality are too high. There are a lot of faggots in the scene who think anything less than several GB per episode looks unacceptable because they care more about how good the picture looks than what the picture is actually showing.

B: You're getting bad x265 rips. As said here:
>Additionally, a lot of x265 rips available are encoded from x264 releases rather than from an uncompressed source. Compressing an already compressed video magnifies its quality issues and fucking retards who know just enough to draw stupid conclusions end up thinking it's an inherent problem with x265.

C: You only tried a couple x265 files then declared it shit because you're a hipster.

At any rate, thinking every x265 rip is comparable to yify is just not true. I'm not even sure why the fuck yify came up. Nobody else was talking about yify.

All of these formats operate by only recording changes based upon occasional keyframes. A yify rip of andy warhol's sleep would be about 10mb and look just about identical to a remux. Because that movie is practically a still frame.

The problems with yify/x264/x265 is motion. x265 is a lot more selective about what changes to maintain and what changes to discard, the result being that smearing effect whenever anything moves. The only way to get rid of that? Up the bitrate. Up the bitrate too much, and you've spent five times as long to encode a file that's the same size and visual fidelity.

Not to fucking mention x265 on anything short of 4k is fucking stupid. As the entire reason x265 exists is 4k.

>my plex sever aka my pc can't encode on the fly
>better blame plex

>DECEMBER 2016
>BEING THIS MAD

MOST PEOPLE WHO POST X265 ON TORRENT SITES ARE SCENE RELEASE TRANSCODERS LIKE YIFY WHO BITSTARVE THEIR SHIT FOR A FILESIZE TARGET NOT QUALITY TARGET, ANY CODEC THEY USE WOULD LOOK LIKE ASS AS A 1GB 1080P FILE

AS SAID EARLIER THEY RARELY USE THE UNTOUCHED VIDEO AS THEIR SOURCE SO YOU GET GENERATIONAL LOSS ON TOP OF THE BITSTARVED ENCODE

773274XX
an hero pls

Why are you yelling?

STAY ASSBLASTED

>you've spent five times as long to encode a file that's the same size and visual fidelity.
[citation needed]

Every source I can find not run by retarded quality nazis from the scene agrees that for the same bitrate x265 offers superior visual fidelity.

And I don't get why "x265 on anything short of 4k" is stupid just because "the entire reason x265 exists is 4k." There's not some kind of floor on how small a resolution is acceptable for any given encoding.

It's worse than just generational loss (i.e. the lossy compression of x264 plus x265"

The conversion from an x264 source to an x265 source seems to have some kind of negative synergistic effect, and the result is actually worse than would be explained by previous compression.