What's the point of listening to classical music if you don't know even the simplest axioms of music theory...

What's the point of listening to classical music if you don't know even the simplest axioms of music theory, so you have to rely on abstract imagination to understand the music? Is it okay to rely on such?

I know music theory and I'm insulted on behalf of music that you would suggest such a thing. Do you even like music or is it just another autistic mental exercise to you? Anyone can enjoy the beauty of Bach or Mozart because its value is transcendent.

whatever happened to just listening to the music to see if you enjoy it?

because it sounds good
lmaoing @ your life

Wait, so it's not an utterly terrible thing to not understand music theory at all, and it's perfectly fine to rely on your weird, esoteric interpretations of music instead?

Thank God.

>Is it ok to enjoy things
Absolutely not

Oh, and by the way, I'm not autistic.

Is debussy patrician?

a fine summary

Might be even better that way because you're not constantly thinking "oh hey that Am6add9 over F# was pretty dope".

>weird, esoteric interpretations of music
This is how everyone judges music, even people who know theory. It's an artform

well its designed around what is naturally appealing so of course you don't need to know any music theory to simply enjoy it.

Thank you.

Can't tell if this is trolling or not.

In any event, this is like asking someone "why look at a sunset if you don't understand the physics of light and stars."

You don't need to understand the dry mathematics of something to appreciate it's beauty.

Music is primarily an emotional thing. You don't need to understand how it works in order to appreciate the emotional ideas it's conveying.

Thank you. It's just that with the amount of elitism in this board, especially with music theory, it led me to make this thread.

If you don't understand it, then you should probably avoid discussing it.

musicians typically prefer jazz

Bump

The magic of genuinely well-composed music is that it can make people feel something through thoughtful patterns and movement. If the composition is any good and not just theory wank for the sake of theory wank then it'll sound pleasing to unwashed ears, and the ultimate point of music is to entertain on some level or another. You accomplish that and I don't see the issue.

>I have autism

Read

Best piano i've ever heard desu

>What's the point of listening to classical music if you don't know even the simplest axioms of music theory
It sounds good.

Even being a fully trained classical composer, I still just listen to music purely because it sounds good. I don't sit there saying "oh, nice a 6/4 chord, oh cool a plagal cadence, oh that was the inversion of the tone row, oh nice 7/8 time sig, oh cool, retrograde inversion, etc." I sit there and say "this sounds good, that was interesting, that was nice, etc."

Occasionally I do say "oh nice, fugal writing", or "DEM smooth inner lines" or "DAT half cadence": I usually notice the technical things that I like to do myself, like fugues and half cadences.

Read

Too many notes, faggot

Remember that centuries ago, the vast majority of people (even the wealthy) could not read music, and knew little to nothing about musical theory. From my understanding, the ability to read music was almost thought of like being able to read some kind of special secret code.