Why is this almost always considered worse than the rest of the originals

Why is this almost always considered worse than the rest of the originals.

HARDMODE YOU CANT BLAME THE EWOKS

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=KQxKOlrfZKc
youtube.com/watch?v=vpj1DYK4fCs
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

but it IS because of the ewoks

That said i prefer ROTJ to ANH

Jabba's Palace drags for too long

>Pacing problems up the ass; movie starts four times (Vader on Death Star, R2 and C3PO antics in Jabba's Palace, Leia entering with Chewie, and then finally Luke), all you needed to start RotJ was the Vader scene and Luke entering
>that hour of just wandering around Endor doing nothing
>Harrison Ford has absolutely nothing to do in this movie because Lucas spared Han's life at the last second because he didn't want to affect toy sales (and don't meme and pretend this is true of TFA too, Han is absolutely integral to that movie)
>Phantom Menace-tier slapstick humor (burping alien, Chewie getting tricked by the meat, tarzan yell, that song and dance number in the special edition)
>way too many fucking climaxes going on all at once and cuts between them way too often

Objective non meme non contrarian ranking

V>IV>VII>VI>RO>>>>>>III>I>>>

Han Solo does nothing except confirm he isn't gay again in the last part of the movie.

>VII better then III or ROTJ.

You're an idiot.

The Leia/Luke reveal comes out of nowhere and is a lazy way of cutting off the love triangle instead of revealing Leia never gave a shit about him.

The Jabba's palace sequence is way too long, and nothing happens in the second act of the movie. Get rescuing Han out of the way in the first 15 minutes and do something relevant to the story before the attack on the Death Star begins.

Revenge of the Sith is fucking shit, it just stands out because it's less shit than the other two abominable prequels

"le MaREY sue" and "le glib facsimile XDDDD" aren't real complaints and TFA is better made than both RotJ and RotS.

this, so dumb

I....agree with you, except on your rankings.

The Force Awakens is not nearly as good as return of the Jedi.

1) ewoks win against imperial army, it's just stupid

2) too much going on. the finale of the movie is cutting rapidly between like 4 different plots

it's still a good movie tho. disneyshit star wars suck compared to it.

>0,006$ has been deposited in your account

The Throne Room scene was GOAT but the rest of it was just meh

Best scene in the entire trilogy coming through (couldn't find one in real time)

>dat score

youtube.com/watch?v=KQxKOlrfZKc

recycling the 'blow up the death star" plot is easily RotJ's worst aspect. How do so many people overlook thist? It's absurdly lazy writing.

Best scene in the franchise. This is 100% unbridled payoff for three full movie's worth of investment in a character.

It was the first Star Wars movie I ever saw. While today I think the first Star Wars was the best all round movie, I still like it way better than the Empire Strikes Back.

4>5>>>2>>havent seen rogue one, dont know if i should bother

>2) too much going on. the finale of the movie is cutting rapidly between like 4 different plots

This is the best thing about ROTJ.

Anyone who thinks TFA is the worst is being intellectually dishonest and is mad about "le maREY sue xDDDD" or le evul disney jewz

This easily, for all the movie's shortcomings, this scene was perfect. Amazing climax to the trilogy.

The problem with TFA is that there isn't a single creative thought in the whole movie. Sure it is objectively better than the prequels, but it is boring as shit to watch because it's a scene for scene remake of a New Hope.

or should have been more of a focus either more or less.

ROTJ's problem is it feels like 3 movies shoved into one

People hate fun. That's pretty much it. If you can't ignore Ewoks (the only real problem that isn't nitpicking), you might want to just give up watching films for entertainment. RotJ is the most fun of the original trilogy.

>le "prequels are bad" meme
I want neo/tv/ to leave.

Empire set the bar too high

It's also the best looking.

I don't know, I always loved it.
And I liked the Ewoks. Eat shit, muhrealismfags.

They are objectively terrible. Neo Sup Forums would be the contrarian tryhards that shit all over TFA but love the prequels.

It's the worst one, but I never thought it was notably.

I blame nerds.

Sorry kiddo. Rey isn't interesting at all. We want to see Luke Skywalke and his fallen apprentice. If you want PC points then you should've put the focus on the black slave slowly turning against the evil empire from the inside.

>I can only engage with a film on the most superficial levels and got triggered by an xwing and a droid carrying a plot device

how does it feel being cinematically illiterate and probably retarded?

>I can only engage with a film on the most superficial levels
But that's YOU defending TFA. You just care that it looks shiny better than the others.

Objective reasons why its ranked the worst of the OT.
the ewoks were fine, they still get btfo and you see them cry over eachothers corpses. they only win cause of the rebels help. also it was nice seeing a land battle+space battle+jedi battle all at a final climax. yoda parts were good, obi wans ghost was just to see alec guiness again. the c3po religion part was dumb as well as the btw leia's ur sister.

ROTJ is good but its not as amazing as ESB and not as revolutionary as ANH was. the death star rehash was its biggest fault. theres no new story really aside from the final confrontation of luke, vader and sheev. lando, leia and han dont do anything, they just kind of stands around after the first act(jabba sailboat). until the final 10 minutes where they down the shields and blow up the deathstar 2.

This is the correct ranking

It is.

TFA was safe. It was formulaic. It was post-modern. It was for children. It was for money. It was for """entertainment""".

Having these things are artistically worse than having bad dialogue and bad cgi.

>reuse of the Death Star
>Luke-Han-Leia love triangle is resolved by a lazy cop out
>EWOKS

Other than that, it's still entertaining and certainly has its merits, but not quite in the same ballpark as the other two.

5 > 4 > 3 > 6 > 1 > 2 > 7 is my ranking.

It didn't come out of nowhere. They hinted towards it in empire.

It is not a "scene for scene" remake of ANH holy shit you're grasping high

Also I don't even hate the Ewoks. I just understand why they don't work for some people. I'm pretty sure Lucas had a deal with the little people actors guild and had to give them roles. I mean, they had them in the other too. Coincidence? I think not.

I see the flaws in the film, but they don't stop me from loving it. Return of the Jedi is my favorite film, both in the series and of all time.

>that Rancor scene
>the oceans eleven style break out of Han
>Luke as a swashbuckler over the Sarlaac
>That green lightsaber is pure sex
>that tear jerking death scene of Yoda
>that speeder bike chase scene
>any scene with the Emperor
>John Williams makes another great score
>about to be eaten by teddy bears (you know they ate the imperial troopers)
>the three battles work together
>the duel between Luke and Vader hits you in the heart

But it is.

It has the same problem that the later films have where they cut between multiple action sequences that are drawn out and pointless.

It's still pretty good. The Luke/Vader scenes are the best scenes in the entire trilogy.

>It was for children

All SW is for children

>ewoks
>a quarter of the movie is spent on rescuing Han Solo, a character who ends up contributing nothing important for the rest of the movie
>ewoks
>on top of being pointless, the reveal of Leia being Luke's sister is very poorly handled
>ewoks
>ANOTHER DEATH STAR
>ewoks
>the finale is so dense, there's so many things going on at once
>ewoks

All the stuff with Luke, Vader and the emperor is pretty great though, some of the best stuff out of all 3 movies

It feels like they didn't really know what to do with it. A lot of it feels somewhat contrived (Death Star II, Leia is Luke's sister!) or aimless (most of Endor, Han and Leia barely doing anything of interest).

When the film focuses on Luke's character (an arc it handles exceptionally well) it lives up to Empire's promise. For this reason alone I consider Jedi a better and more involving film than Force.

This desu.

Because half the movie is padding. The only characters that really had any purpose of being in the movie at all was luke, yoda, vader, and the emperor. All of han, leia, and lando's reasons for being in the movie at all end at jaba's palace. But they still spend about half the movie fucking around in the redwood forest.

It was a well made product.
The prequels are bad movies with little to no entertainment value unless you are a turbo nerd that loves lightsaber fights.

not an argument

Honestly this is and always will be my favourite Star Wars film. Yeah, Empire is objectively a higher quality film but this really synthesised everything the series was about. Good fun, action, right amount of comedy, and good triumphing over evil. Even the rehashing of the Death Star concept was made fresh.

THIS

Because Empire Strikes Back is so fucking good, there was now way for ROTJ to eclipse it. The final scene in the Emperor's Chamber was great, as was Yoda dying. But it held a dim candle to Leia and Han just before he was frozen (I love you, I know) and Luke and Vader (I am your father). One of the greatest reveals in all of cinema.

>why do people not like this movie?
>hardmode- don't use the reason that the movie sucks, find another reason than the actual reason
u wot m8?

>core of the plot is Death Star...again
>second-most core layer of the plot...the Ewoks

there was nothing wrong with Jabba's palace

I was seven or eight when I first saw it and I could understand what was going on in that battle on three fronts. It's not The Phantom Menace, where the only battle that matters is the one in space against the control ship. Each part is integral in Return of the Jedi. The ground battle was necessary to deactivate the shield so that the fighters could get inside and blow the Death Star up. If Luke hadn't gone to confront Vader, he would have lead his father right to the rebels on the moon.

>little to no entertainment value
is this subtle for "le politics bore my inauthentic post-modern sensibility"

What.
Im not bored by it because of the senate shit. It was bad because all of it was done poorly. All the characters were done poorly. The movie is shit.

>The Throne Room scene

Every time the sequence where Vader taunts Luke the latter snaps and John Williams' score kicks in makes my dick fly off.

still not an excuse to justify Marvel's Quip Wars

Vader vs Luke and the music that kicks in makes me rock hard.

It redeems the entire past hour for me.

3>6>7>4>1>2>5

cucks will disagree

I can't really explain what I didn't like about the movie, but it was just boring somehow. I re-watched the trilogy recently, and turned off ROTJ about one hour in because I was bored of it.

You sir are an idiot.

Assuming this isn't bait, please explain why III and VII are so high and V so low.

Original or Special Edition?

It's either complete bait, or is troll or retarded.

its contrarian to not like 5 so its always bait, in every situation. 5 is indisputably the best one in every single way.

Btw, are we calling Rogue One 3A, since between 3 and 4?

because I'm not a memer and 3 made me feel much more about the whole SW franchise that the original trilogy ever did. And I liked the ending of 6 though I am biased because when I saw it last, I was at a low point in my life and the optimism in the movie really sticked with me.
5 was easily the most forgettable SW movie of them all.

Happy, sir?

It's actually the best.

Rotj>tesb>TFA>RO>Rots>ANH>TPM>Aotc

We're calling Rogue One the shit that doesn't matter since it's not part of the main series.

R u me

No seriously we should be friends

Agreed. Ep 5 is my favorite movie in the genre, if not all time. Bold talk yes, but my opinion. Close runners up are Raiders, Blade Runner, and the Wrath of Kahn in the genre. The Thing doesn't suck either.

Other than the Ewoks not being Wookies..

Another Death Star

Han doesn't die as was originally planned

Luke doesn't get his melancholy ending where he wanders off alone into the sunset as was also planned

All that said RotJ is still better than any of the prequels and slightly better than TFA.

>sunset ending
wow so cinema

I appreciate the tribal celebration ending we got because it reinforces the setting that the rebels are jihadists and the death stars rrepresent the twin towers

I disagree, even though its made by Mickey, it falls squarely between 3 and 4.

You mean the film were they make out?

>Luke doesn't get his melancholy ending where he wanders off alone into the sunset as was also planned
I'm not sure why people think this would have been a more compelling conclusion to his arc. The closing scenes are maybe a bit too Disney, but Luke maintaining his sweetness and spiritual fortitude where his father had once failed is a more fulfilling ending than Luke being broken and alone, especially given how much he was driven by friendship in TESB.

>HARDMODE YOU CANT BLAME THE THING THAT MAKES IT WORSE THAN THE ORIGINALS

fuck off reddit

>that boy was our last hope
>no, there is another

youtube.com/watch?v=vpj1DYK4fCs

Most underrated piece on the entirety of Star Wars soundtracks coming through.

Han literally stands outside the door to the base for 45 minutes at one point

Seriously over 1/3 of the movie Han spends just standing, waiting next to the door

It disappointed me that it wasn't longer. It feels like it was cut short. Still love it though.

>5 was easily the most forgettable SW movie of them all.
>Everything on Hoth
>Dagobah and Yoda in general, including the cave sequence
>Han's dialogue with Leia and being carbonite'd
>"No, I am your father."

That's all forgettable to you? Agree to disagree I guess.

agreed RoTJ had an absolutely perfect ending. The only bad thing about Empire was it made people start thinking the series was more serious and dark than it was supposed to be.

Yeah, just like how the CGI Clone Wars movie is squarely between 2 and 3. It still doesn't matter to anyone. But if it does to you then that's just fantastic.

I thought this was a Prequels song

In all my life, l have never seen a film played as safe and riskless for the money as TFA. It took the fun out of SW and l don't care about any sequels anymore.

May Disney rot in hell.

TFA is the reason i didnt go to see rogue one in theatres. i hate paying for a movie and being disappointed.

I feel you bro. Not gonna pay another dime to those hacks.

Thats why I thought RO was better than TFA. It was something new, although there were plenty of nods to the canon. TFA was Ep 4 rehashed with new characters. And the fact that almost all of the principles died at the end for the greater good was cool, not something I would expect from the Mouse.

May as well never see another movie in theaters then, if that's your attitude.

It's literally fags doing the RLM meme again, if they didn't make that fucking cancer video no one would have questioned the movie ever.

This makes a lot of sense.

Bravo user

People were bitching about the Ewoks before RLM was even around. Any other argument arising can be blamed on them though.

my sides

>thinks nobody complained about ewoks or prequels prior to 2012.
>underagefag confirmed

>Monotonous Jabba's palace opening where the droids show up and get captured... then Leia shows up and gets captured... then Luke shows up and gets captured. It's massively belabored.
>Too much plate-spinning to set-up the climax. The second Death Star, the Emperor, the shield generator, the security codes and the stolen ship, filling in backstory on Dagobah with Yoda and Obi-Wan, hanging out with the ewoks. The middle section lacks any kind of narrative momentum and ends in Luke nonchalantly surrendering without any real incident or consequences.
>The lack of anything new or surprising. For 30 years people have been using the ewoks as a shorthand for what's wrong with ROTJ but the thing that epitomizes it's problems is the second Death Star. It's unbelievably lazy, unimaginative, lame, etc. When Gary Kurtz was first told about it he thought Lucas was joking.
>The end is stripped of a lot of emotional nuance. Luke was supposed to go off and lead a lonely monastic life like Obi-Wan, Leia would have to reckon with the duties of leadership and rebuilding, Han was supposed to die. Instead it ends in a teddy bear picnic. It's light and unsatisfying.