What’s the difference between mp3 and the actual song?

Are you losing enough in the compressed version to actually miss out on anything?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=FmmQxXPOMMY
abx.digitalfeed.net/list.html
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

No
But AAC and OPUS are superior

Compare the experience of listening to a song in mp3 form to listening to it in FLAC form. You can always tell the difference.

You don't lose much. The mp3 (and then later AAC which is basically the upgraded version) is incredible technology. Read about it sometime.

Also known as placebo

while there is certainly a difference and you can't just deny it, whether you care enough is up to you. If you find the difference minimal then noone is stopping you from listening to an mp3.

It's not placebo. You need good hearing, a good setup, and a good recording. I agree that most of the time you won't tell the difference between 256-320 and FLAC, but in some cases you will. 320 is great honestly.

the average mp3 loses as much as 3 instruments from the mix

rotational velocidensity

comeback meme of 2018

top is flac
middle is 128, the average you get from streaming from spotify, google music, and itunes
bottom is 320, which is the "high quality" that streaming platforms offer with their paid packages

see any differences? if you say that you can't hear the difference, then you have a shitty stereo setup or shitty ears.

This is true. The worst is when you have an mp3 of a song with only a guitar and a voice. You're left with -1 instruments and a file of empty noise.

All songs are mixed differently. Sometimes you'll notice, sometimes you won't

i hate when that happens

bob dylan used to record with 4 harmonicas

FAKE NEWS

>320kbps
>cutoff at 15k
Dumbass, 320kbps cuts off at 20khz

Also
>thinking you can hear past 20k
>thinking there is any useful information above 16k
Retard

what kinda music do you listen to, pal
loads of lowercase, EAI, and glitch music use frequencies that high
can you not hear them?
shit ears hahahaha

When you get to the point where you need to listen closely with top end gear for a difference that might not even be there, then what's the point of listening to music?

shit music uses shit sounds to appeal to shit hipsters
not surprising

are you saying you can't immerse yourself fully into your music? you're not listening well enough, pleb

>metal fan

kek

Bait harder
Like I said, 320kpbs fits the whole human hearing spectrum from 20hz to 20khz. And I doubt you know what you think you are hearing is actually what you are hearing. You probably think a symbol clash is 16khz

????????????

>Like I said, 320kpbs fits the whole human hearing spectrum from 20hz to 20khz.
What about the people who can hear above and below that?

>symbol clash

Like Batman?

>>thinking you can hear past 20k
You can
>>thinking there is any useful information above 16k
Room ambience

youtube.com/watch?v=FmmQxXPOMMY

literally doesn't exist

It's indeed possible for a human being to tell the difference between the two formats. It's a matter of who's the listener. For instance, should you give 50 average people to listen to the same music file, how many of them will say that file number 1 is better, how many will say that number 2 is better, and how many will say that there's no difference? The average consumer won't even care which file he listens to, what he wants is to listen to that lousy crap called rap they dare call music at minimal cost of expenses and size. Then there's my kind. I, like few that can be found today, am an audiophile as well as a musician with a perfect hearing. Thus, I require the highest quality. I own a X5 media player (Cowon, IAudio -- 20GB bought it for 1800NIS, approx. 450$ at the time, 2 years ago, dully note that its cost was approx. 200$ in the states at the time), and recently bought Shure's E2C (For 550NIS, roughly 150$ dully note that this is more than twice its cost in the states. Even though I wanted the SE500, the X5 surprisingly supported FLAC after I installed Rockbox, and since then only been using it. I listen only to FLAC unless the music I want to listen to just so happens to be unavailable to me in such a lovely format, so am compelled to use MP3, and am saddened by this but can't complain. Unlike the average person I therefore notice those little details so many fail to. And the major difference is: I appreciate those little sounds. And for the past few months I've been dying to get A3 (Imagine a bazillion emphasis marks) I've considered taking drastic measures and becoming a menace to society just to get it. It's like, I can feel in my hands, I just don't have the money. Same goes for the SE500. The A3 here costs 1900NIS, The SE500 costs 2000NIS. Usually people upload Mp3s which sucks. I firstly look for FLAC, followed by APE, WMA (etc.), and when I lose all hope I turn to MP3. Luckily though, lately FLAC has been gaining incredible popularity.

is this pasta

This is great pasta

I make my own music, so yes.
So much dynamics and detail is lost by the bitrate. Pisses me off.

> Tfw audiophile w questionable hearing.

Is there one of these for 128 v 320 v FLAC? Would be curious to see

how are you spectrograph retards too stupid that highlighting the frequency shelves in bright colors on a graph isn't the same as picking out those fine details in a complex waveform with your ears you haven't dug out with a q-tip since before you were allowed to post here

Retards been going on about meme answers and useless facts for ages. And then they come back to argue the same.

Here’s the thing, mp3-320 is great. I’ve found that cymbals and pianos sound much better in higher bitrate files(flac/alac/wav/dsd/whatever), in general it’s easier to notice the difference with high frquency sounds. But what suits you totally depends on what your setup is and how much you care.

For Me, basic FLAC/ALAC is for PC and my portable player(fiio x3) Which have enough firepower to handle them when coupled with good headphones, and mp3-320 for my phone which has a shit dac and would one make no difference between 256&320.

mp3-128kbps sounds like shit no matter what. That is one territory where even the stupidest dude with blown out ears could notice the drum kit sounding like a grater.

bait harder fag

DAE human eyes can’t see above 24fps?
DAE humans only have 5 senses?
DAE human eyes are 2K?
DAE human ears don’t Need to function above 12KHz?
DAE human brains store 2 TB of data?

DAE roflmao people Only want high quality media to look cool?
DAE i’m so enlightened i only listen to 64kbps music on a 240p music video stream, stupid data wasting fags all around me?

No wonder most fags here have such shit taste in music, they Can’t even be arsed to listen to music properly.

use MP3 V0 and you don't get the 20kHz cut, you don't waste bits on quiet/silent parts.

during blind tests I could immediately pick out the 192kbps MP3, but V0 and lossless (WAV/FLAC) sounded the same to me. i still use FLAC when i can.

There's nothing wrong with 240p, if you're using an SD screen.

Except the me and others like me

Have very good hearing and high quality setup and have done blind abx tests on multiple systems. Guarentee you no one in this thread saying they can tell the difference between 320 LAME MP3 and FLAC can actually reliably distinguish. There's no perceptible difference.

This site offers a really well set up abx test you can do for yourself.

abx.digitalfeed.net/list.html

Try taking a song and putting a lo cut and high cut filter at 20-20k. Can you still hear something? I can.

I mean... are you using a linear phase filter with good niquist handling? Are you using a system that you know accurately produces clean 20hz and 20khz frequencies without overtones or undertones or resonances? You're probably hearing some combination of the features I just described.

>are you using a linear phase filter with good niquist handling? Are you using a system that you know accurately produces clean 20hz and 20khz frequencies without overtones or undertones or resonances?
Yes of course

Maybe your hearing just isn't as great

.Also, no filter cuts perfectly vertically at the cutoff frequency. There's still sound coming through.

A more accurate and less likely confounded way of testing your hearing beyond 20-20k would be to use a super accurate playback system and play 19hz and 21khz through it and see if you can hear it.

Cool.

20-20k is an *average approximate* threshold of human hearing. It isn't absolute. Look it up.

Yes.... I know that.... hence my posts clearly demonstrating that I understand the issue......

It's very, very unlikely that you can hear beyond 20-20k, especially above 20k, especially if you're not really young. But it's possible. I'm not you. Do some actually accurate tests and see for yourself.

And it's not relevant to the topic of the thread anyway. If you actually want to know if you can differentiate reliably between 320 MP3 and FLAC/PCM, do the abx test I posted here:

>Yes.... I know that
Then your point is irrelevant, isn't it?

okay yea but wtf do you need to hear 20khz for?

>I can't hear it, so it must not be important!
kek

? What? No. My "point" was that it's very unlikely you're doing the test accurately because most systems will produce overtones, undertones, and resonances within the 20-20k range even if you try to playback a signal outside that range through them, and even if you are doing the test properly and you can hear outside that range, it's irrelevant to the topic of the thread.

>My "point" was that it's very unlikely you're doing the test accurately
Oh what system am I using?

>music is about hearing
lel

I don't know. Did you see the words "most", and "unlikely"?

>I don't know
So, you just made a blind assumption?
>Did you see the words "most", and "unlikely"?
See

How is my point irrelevant? My point is correct. It's unlikely you're doing the test properly on a system that can accurately perform the test. That's true. You seem to have a problem understanding how English works.

Also, the fact that you tried to test your ability to hear outside 20-20k by filtering some kind of broadband signal at 20 and 20k in spite of the obvious problem with that approach explained here: suggests that you are way way out of your league here and are even less likely to have done some kind of accurate tests since you don't even understand how filters work.

Again, it's possible that you can hear outside 20-20k, but everything you've written here suggests you haven't tested that fact accurately, and regardless, it's irrelevant to the topic of this thread.

>How is my point irrelevant?
I just told you I can hear beyond 20-20k. I know you want to try and make excuses because of your wounded ego, but you cna't get around this fact. Who cares that I have better hearing than you? It shoudln't be a big deal
>It's unlikely you're doing the test properly
More blind assumptions
>Also, the fact that you tried to test your ability to hear outside 20-20k by filtering some kind of broadband signal at 20 and 20k
>some kind
Nice assumptions
>suggests that you are way way out of your league here
My clients don't think so
>Again, it's possible that you can hear outside 20-20k
Probable, since I've heard it

>assumptions
Again, you don't seem to understand English. I said it's unlikely, it could be true, but it is unlikely. Learn English.

>Probable, since I've heard it
If you're referring to the filtering test you did again, I've already explained why that's not an accurate test.

Its only noticeable for me in the cymbals because of the low pass or cut-off that mp3's have

>If you're referring to the filtering test you did again,
No I'm refering to things I've heard beyond 20-20k
>I've already explained why that's not an accurate test.
What gear am I using?

fuck where even am i? you guys have gone completely off the deep end oh my god this place is just a meme

>No I'm refering to things I've heard beyond 20-20k
How do you know they were outside that range? What kind of test did you do and on what system?

>I've already explained why that's not an accurate test.
>What gear am I using?
There is no filter in existence that would accurately perform the test you designed in the way that you intended it to work. Filters do not work that way. Neither analog nor digital.

You are probably in your 20s, 20hz to 20k is the hearing of a health male boy.

>How do you know they were outside that range?
How do you know they weren't?
>There is no filter in existence that would accurately perform the test you designed in the way that you intended it to work
[citation needed]

I don't know they weren't. That's why I've stated many times that it's possible you can hear outside the 20-20k range. That's also why I asked for more information.

>There is no filter in existence that would accurately perform the test you designed in the way that you intended it to work
>[citation needed]
No filter performs infinite decibel reduction at the cutoff frequency. Even the anti-aliasing filters used for nyquist issues don't cut perfectly vertically. If there is such a filter and you used it, post a link to that filter because I'd be interested to learn about it.

>That's why I've stated many times that it's possible
Then why are you still posting?
>No filter performs infinite decibel reduction at the cutoff frequency
[citation needed]

I'm still posting because every post you've made contains logical errors and factual inaccuracies, but now I'm done. Have fun being scared of knowing the truth. Or, if you actually want to know the truth, actually do an accurate test using sine waves outside 20-20k on a system that you know doesn't produce any overtones, undertones, or resonances when playing back those frequencies. (don't be too upset though, it doesn't matter that you can't hear outside 20-20k. It really doesn't matter at all).

>I'm still posting because every post you've made contains logical errors and factual inaccuracies
So does yours, but I don't hold it against you
>but now I'm done
Oh! Before you go, please give me that source stating that my specific setup is flawed, even though you'd don't know my setup at all (talk about logical errors and factual inaccuracies!). I'd really like to see it. ;)