/prod/ - Music Production General

"The last thread died to make room for Lana Del Ray fan butthurt" edition.

Upload WIPs on clyp.it/

GIVE feedback and RECEIVE feedback.

>ATTENTION!
DON'T post Soundcloud, YouTube, or any other links where you are not anonymous (unless somebody asks you for it). That's considered self promotion and will result in bad feedback.

RESOURCES:

Sound Design:

>SeamlessR (in-depth music production and sound design tutorials, based on FL Studio)
youtube.com/user/SeamlessR

>Rocket Powered Sound (Constant quality uploads of various EDM sounds in Serum with explanations that help make something unique)
youtube.com/channel/UCFReVt5TAC1zGnuNkgHw-fg

>Syntorial (widely considered the best place to go to learn synthesis)
syntorial.com/

>Mr. Bill (Ableton based, some of the best sound design tutorials on the planet. Aimed more towards IDM-type stuff. He also posts his music here)
youtube.com/user/MrBillsTunes

>BusyWorksBeats (explains hip hop in very elaborate ways in FL Studio)
youtube.com/user/busyworksbeats

>Sadowick (explains old school electronic music in very elaborate ways in Ableton)
youtube.com/user/SadowickProduction

>ADSR Music Production Tutorials
youtube.com/channel/UCf5UKh_cj2_5pUomhyswWYQ

MIXING:

>Point Blank Music School
youtube.com/channel/UCIWNozFjO8yVdJFsGKVmPgg

>Pensado's Place
youtube.com/user/PensadosPlace

>Samori Coles (Compression, EQ, etc)
youtube.com/user/homestudiotutor/videos

>Modern Mixing
youtube.com/user/ModernMixing/videos

FL STUDIO:

>WarBeats (Getting comfortable in FL Studio)
youtube.com/user/nfxbeats/videos

>Image Line Tutorials
youtube.com/user/imageline/playlists

WRITING:

>12tone
youtube.com/channel/UCTUtqcDkzw7bisadh6AOx5w/playlists

>Micheal New
youtube.com/user/Rhaptapsody/playlists
---
Previous Thread:

Other urls found in this thread:

youtu.be/I1Bn6_DmH7c
pastebin.com/08mwwiAV
clyp.it/user/sc202zpd
clyp.it/gziua0a1
youtu.be/CeYCSiE7dtk?t=44
clyp.it/c31o3ynm
clyp.it/4y3xbgzs
clyp.it/dsgirctr
clyp.it/qdo4wecb
clyp.it/4opeobgw
clyp.it/lbhfn1mu
m.youtube.com/#/playlist?list=PLa9ASr8n5idArGa1uaBExM-lI-nO1P959
clyp.it/di5dsjng
ableton.com/en/manual/audio-clips-tempo-and-warping/
twitter.com/AnonBabble

Anyone know if there's an easier way to smooth out parameter change envelopes without adding a shit ton of the little anchor points? Trying to automate the mod wheel effect after recording the note data, and it's very choppy.

use a controller

what kind of keys/synth is this? youtu.be/I1Bn6_DmH7c
it plays a proeminent line at 3:15

alternatively select the line between two points and then hold alt and drag and it's gonna curve nicely

I would, but I already have the note data recorded. Maybe I can record the automation to another track and copy the envelope data over? Wish I weren't stuck at work so I can try more things.

Sweet, I figured there was a short cut. I hope it produces a smooth effect in the end.

The string pad?

Bumping with my new setup. Let's see em.

That's comfy looking

It's not bad, though I need a new chair to get real comfy with it.

I hate when there's no garbage thru

I feel like here is the best place to ask this kind of thing.

I played my friends midi keyboard the other day and I really liked the sound of it, it looked fairly old and idk what brand it is or model, wondering if anyone knows what brand it could be from the top of my head I drew it in pic related. It wasn't long and it wasn't mini it was kinda in the middle. I want to get one for myself just cause I liked how it sounds a lot and I know I could make the tones and use a midi controller but I like the sound of this keyboard's presets and just the tone that came off of it, I don't look at /prod/ threads a lot, also the keys felt better than the one I have atm.

this one?

Right? Stop trying to shave $1.50 off the costs of garbage production already.

I'm not too sure (arent AKAIs black and red, usually?), but I find both the detail- and lack of detail in that drawing to be hilarious.

Most midi controllers will be able to do what your friend did with his though, regardless of brand.

This looks very much like it! Thank you, I'll check it out and see if I can find a demo of it or something.
Lol the detail and lack there of is just what I can remember off the top of my head

Include the pastebin you pantytwaist

pastebin.com/08mwwiAV

If you want one there are better models. Look for a PSS-380 or 470 or 570 or 680, PSR-36 or 41 or something like that. The PSS-460/470/560/570 are most similar.

nice setup my man. i've been trying to get some more gear myself.

how do you go about recording/using all of that gear in a typical song? like what is your process? i know everyone has different methods for using external gear in their workflow...

Yeah I found demos of this line and the other models of PSR which can do alot more, Thanks again for id-ing this!

Thanks, it's been a long time in the making so far.

I just did decide to integrate a PC into the whole thing. Previously I sequenced everything via the Electribe and used the iconnectmio4 to route everything. Now everything hits the PC first and Ableton handles the routings. Between the Focusrite and the mixer I can capture all the audio simultaneously with a fair amount of flexibility.

Since I'm just getting started using all of this with Ableton I still tend to sketch out things on the electribe, then capture and route the midi data to whatever synth I want. Integrating all this hardware has a hell of a learning curve so I'm taking the path of least resistance.

Sorry, I just copied the last OP

just uploaded to bandcamp.... my tracks distorted and full of shitty white noise, never had this problem and yes i left 0.5db headroom, sounds perfect on other platforms

help

Try a re-upload yet?

all 5 tracks are like this, gonna reduce them slightly and try again -_-

Good luck

I made a fictional album a few days ago and now I actually want it to exist, but I don't know anything about music.
Anybody bored enough with enough free time to make this album actually exist?

clyp.it/user/sc202zpd

Little thing I started working on last night. Uploaded it to that online mastering site Landr to get a little loudness but I think it just made it worse lol.

>clyp.it/user/sc202zpd
Both are pretty solid concepts, and I like how different they are. The WIP one sounds like some kind of weird Enigma interlude towards the end.

What are some good vst plugins for ableton? Im new and trying to get into synthwave.

What do you mean by a fictional album?

Albums that don't actually exist.

I thought the game was to generate random content from wikipedia

>synthwave

Retro synth VST instruments might be best if you're sticking to the sound of the era - Roland Juno stuff, Yamaha DX7, and maybe the PPG Wave - Dexed is a free DX7 emulation and it'll even take DX7 sysex patch data, for free Juno emulations you're looking at TAL's U-NO-62 with a paid version (U-NO-LX) that has more features.
Waldorf do the most accurate and reliable PPG Wave VSTi but it's not free - out of these synths the Juno and the PPG will be the most immediate for starting out, Dexed is great and sounds brilliant but the interface is very feature-heavy and FM synthesis isn't the easiest thing to grasp for a beginner, plenty of presets available though and you might find some that suit your needs without having to pick up editing straight away.

i am an idiot.

the files were completely fine, bandcamp just has shit quality for 10-15 mins after you upload something

Shiiieeet, wouldnt have guessed that one. Been ages since I put anything on there.

Got bored and made another edit for the next time I have a chance to start a thread.

Oh and for more recent Roland stuff if you're looking for paid/pirate - the Roland Cloud Juno 106 and Jupiter 8 are brilliant, and for Oberheim OB-X sounds (which also fit the era) you could use Obxd which is free.

Yeah, but I thought it would be fun to see what people's imagination could do.

I'm gonna start selling my beats to rappers, do you think this is worth $80? Other feedback encouraged

clyp.it/gziua0a1

I like the groove on yeo but the transition is a little awkward. Also I think the shaker should be lower in the mix, maybe make it less dry.

are the into the lair videos by pensado actually useful when mixing or I better go for other resources?

Wtf do music producers even do? Just fuck with other people's music?

Are they the biggest hacks of all time?

most bands would be shit without a competent producer

Pretty sure you stole that beat m8
youtu.be/CeYCSiE7dtk?t=44

Shit b8.
Producers 'produce' the music. They provide instruments and a recording space. They're the ones that use the bulky recording equipment and software the musicians don't know what the fuck to do with. They design sounds from the ground up and direct how the album gets recorded for the best result. They also mix and master the music so that it doesn't sound like shit.
There's actually a shitload of complicated stuff that goes into producing even simple music. Musicians literally wouldn't know what to do without producers.

Now DJs, those are the real hacks.

>Wtf do publishers even do? Just fuck with other people's books?

>get midi keyboard to complement my guitar and learn how to play keys
>download Reaper and try out some stuff
>making some cool synth sounds with a free vst
>mfw finding the arpeggiator
clyp.it/c31o3ynm
I know it's probably shit but goddamn am I having fun

clyp.it/4y3xbgzs

This is a thing I've been working on for a few days. I'm probably going to add lyrics but I haven't written anything yet. Trying to incorporate some jazzy harmony into my electronic music. What do you think?

amiga demoscene/10

just add a kick drum and you're golden

clyp.it/dsgirctr

FL studio beginner here. Something I did to learn how to use the program. All feedback is welcome.

Quick little question: Does anyone have Amon Tobin's sample pack? How is it?
Additionally, got a link?

You can record just automation over something.

If you just did a straight line down there it'd be good enough

Really good senpai

>clyp.it/dsgirctr
I like this a lot

Thanks c:

clyp.it/qdo4wecb

someone rate my beat?
i plan on using it for my project

samples nice, the drums are almost interesting but sound terrible. there's something here tho, but you can do better. 6/10

do the drums need to be of a higher pitch or different sound (drum kit) completely? or did you mean the arrangement/programming?

They guide the project from start to finish, and have many different responsibilities depending on the situation, ranging from engineering, to writing, or even managing the band in some instances. The involvement that the producers have in the music varies from band to band and producer to producer.

You can kind of think of them like the director of the band/album, like how a director directs a movie.

maybe a different kit, this one just hurts my ears. but you could do more with the beat I feel. you have a good sample but your drums drag it down, it doesn't quite match. but you're not far off the mark, just some tweaks.

how do you like a Bach fugue played by a Mario Kart synth?

clyp.it/4opeobgw

Handel's water music played by an analog synth

clyp.it/lbhfn1mu

Why are you using Ableton 8?

Hey /prod/, any of you have good sources for learning Ableton? Received Ableton live as a gift so i might as well switched from my pirated Logic Pro

>inb4 youtube
yeah no shit, i’d just like to save my time scourging thru slow tutorials to find something that’s actually useful

Jelly of your set up

Friend took pic related of me at my old set up. Was recording/producing funk and garage rock at the time. Now I’m alone with no drummer so i use Maschine for my post-modern beats.

take away the text and the shitty bordering and you have a decent album cover.

What’s the concept?

Start with this:
m.youtube.com/#/playlist?list=PLa9ASr8n5idArGa1uaBExM-lI-nO1P959
Then read the manual.

Ableton looks super simple bit it can go very deep due to how things are integrated with each other, so once you learn how the DAW works you'll learn about all the possibilities (especially with MaxForLive.

Good luck my friend.

what do you guys think of eminem as a producer at least back then? he has some great beats under his belt

>switch to Ableton because FL workflow makes it harder to do simple dungeon rave shit
>drop a one second drum loop in
>try to find a way to sync the clip BPM to the global BPM
>spend two hours trying to fucking do this
>spend another hour reading through useless tutorials online and watching youtube videos with German guys rambling for twenty fucking minutes at a time and barely covering the topic
Why is the most basic shit fucking impossible in this thing and why is there such a lack of information about it?

Have you tried the manual?

Or rather I should say I was trying to make the BPM of the drum loop the global BPM because none of the other instruments were at the same BPM even after warping the clip.

post some of your music. im really curious to what a set up like that creates.

I'm not sure, but there should be a Master/Slave button in the clip panel above the BPM.
Try that and report back.

Also open the help box and hover over the parameters to see if you find what you need.

There isn't one, there's a space where there could be one but it isn't there?

Youtube Mr.Bill's Ableton School
also Tom Cosm

clyp.it/di5dsjng

I think this is how the instrumental part of the song I'm writing will be. Any thoughts on the recording itself (mixing etc.) or the musical elements (one user suggested a key change)?

What is the top left white box, a pedal?

Well that's weird.
What version are you using?

I'm not on a computer so I can't check. Maybe another kind user can help you on this.

ableton.com/en/manual/audio-clips-tempo-and-warping/

With any question just google it: 'match drum loop to tempo ableton'

I'm using Live 9
It's weird, I'm in the session view and it isn't there but if I try to pull it up in the arrangement view it shows up.

The problem I've had with looking up the problem is the problem everyone is having is having the clip match the tempo they've set, not have the global tempo match the tempo of the clip. I come to /prod/ with questions as a last resort.

Why can't you just change the drum loop's seg bpm to the global tempo

>having the clip match the tempo they've set
What do ypu mean?
They've set where?

is there a free plugin for ableton that allows a real time spectral analysis?

>Why is the most basic shit fucking impossible in this thing and why is there such a lack of information about it?

lmao fucking this

could it be that you're just retarded? I don't even understand your problem because I never experienced something similar

have you tried voxengo span it is free

I cant load that into ableton. or am I making it wrong?

I'm building the track off the BPM of the clip, I'm building the song off the sample.
Consider that get checked, my dude.
And I just mean that people have already made a song with a certain tempo, and they're trying to get the samples they use to match the tempo they're using, whereas I have a sample with a tempo I want the entire project to follow. All of the forum posts and youtube videos I'm seeing are about the first thing, not the second.

maybe you accidentaly are trying to use the 32 bit plugin in 64 bit live

> krk's
this is borderline sin if you are seriously trying to monitor your work. Those better be your consumer grade speaker reference.

I just had to get the 32 bit version. thanks, this is great

other way round.. it seems that it depends if you have ableton 64, not windows 64. who has ableton 64?

? If you know the tempo of your loop just change the global tempo to it, does that do it?

you should be using 64 bit if you have more than 4gb ram in your pc and ableton stopped giving 32 bit versions recently

I don't know the tempo of my loop, and I spent a good long while trying to get it to match but it's one of those 140.0324 whatever types where it's almost impossible to manually figure out, and when you think you do you get the loop going for a minute and then the timing completely falls apart.

Is it true that I'll have to spend "thousands on hardware" to get a "decent setup with Pro Tools" ?

>using protools
why

How is this a helpful post at all? What should I use instead?

I just tried what I said and it worked, but you have to dick around a bit. You can type decibal numbers into the global tempo. If you look at the clip's bpm in the seg bpm section, then delete the clip then change global tempo to that exact tempo, then put the loop back into arrangement that'll work. Just play round with it.

thanks, i’ve fucked around with the manual and online and already have a basic understanding. Right now trying to learn how to fully integrate my Maschine with Live.

thanks will do

The problem is the clip will say in the seg bpm that it's 120 in any situation, which is at least 20 below what the clip actually is, and considering that the global bpm is 120 for any new project I have reason to believe somethings fucked up.