What would have made him a more interesting villain?

What would have made him a more interesting villain?

I thought he was a cool character visually, but there wasn't much to set him apart from generic 'Mwahaha' Imperial officer.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=bbgf5BC_s-4
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

More details about his relationship with Jyn and her parents would have been good.

that he was a chiss

Something to make him believe that the Empire are doing the right thing.

Maybe if that extremist guy killed his family or something

If you are interested, there is an entire 350 page book about just that.

Again, I'm relying on the book here, but Krennic's motivation is that he wants to be on top. Tarkin is very much so a militant thinker in terms of his motivations, but Krennic is just a straight up douchebag who wants a seat in the front row.

Get rid of his lisp. Seriously what was that?

do you feel in charge?

They should have made him actually intimidating

It was pretty funny seeing him get destroyed by his own creation though

He was more whiny and ambitious than evil

The actor is Australian and has a speech impediment. Go watch his interviews. It's almost unbearable.

Show how he saved Galen and his family.

Was that even mentioned in the movie?

He needed to go full Duran Duran from Barbarella and lose his shit and start cackling like a maniac with a screen behind him showing planets getting obliterated in kino compositions.

Raped Jyns mom

>an extremist guy killed his family or something

DS9 did this the best. The Cardassians were almost 1:1 nazi parallels yet we got to see innocent Cards asians affected by the jewish/bajoran rebels. Like the guy that got deformed by getting caught in the blast of a rebel bomb, even though he was just a low level servant that didn't benefit in anyway from the occupation.

this

It's actually shit easy to give someone like that a decent backstory.

You can just have him mention that his family was killed in the republic/CIS conflict when the CIS invaded his planet. That would give him a reason to join the empire's army and would give him a reason to hate non-humans and enemies he considers to be causing disturbances in law and order.

This. I never really got the impression that he's supposed to be intimidating/scary. That's what Vader, and the Empire in general, is for. Krennic was more of a slimy little shit. That's why both Tarkin and Vader put him in his place when he whines to them.

Make him a white supremacist

You can tell that's what the character is about solely by the casting itself.
The guy specializes in slimy shit roles.

Holy shit I just realized his actor is the "YER PURE EVIL" dude from the Dark Knight Rises

I thought that he was going to be new Tarkin but instead actual Tarkin did that.

>gets shit done
>doesn't kiss tarkin or vader's ass
>gets shat upon by his superiors anyway

He was clearly the superior leader. But those above him sensed this and feared being overtaken so they stopped him from reaching his full potential.

t. Krennic

He was really good in season 1 of bloodline

I liked him, he was a dork that just wanted the respect he deserved from his shitty bosses. That's like 3x more character than dr. strange's angry zealot man got.

How do you keep up with the Cardassians?

How did he make it so far while talking shit to his bosses and needing to rely on more talented people to do the real job?

>implying prequels are even sort of canon in Disney's Star Wars cinematic universe.

If you only knew the power of middle management.

Overall, I like the angle they play with him. Herws what I would do. He's clearly a career imperial officer, probably started with the Republic. They should have built up his past a bit more though.
>We see that he joined the Republic because he wanted to serve his planet. >He's barely competent, frequently making errors.
>He's a good guy by all accounts.
>When the empire forms, he reluctantly continues, thinking it might be what's best.
>He finds himself continually promoted, much above his competency (because alot of kid level imperial/republic generals are turning on the empire)
>He's growing more and more apprehensive to the empire and their brutal ways (hes politically ambivalent, and cares much more about his career than politics)
>The higher ups are turning on him and he's worried about losing his position
>he lucks into the death Star project
>He sees it as a career saver, securing him a permanent comfy position, this is why he's pissed when Tarkin takes over

Fr there movie plays out mostly the same, but we know the guy more. We see him turn on the empire by the time Tarkin steals the death Star and Vader rejects his assertion that he should retain control. This is the straw the snaps the camel's back. If his career isn't benefitting, than why keep supporting the empire? Somehow he learns about the flaw, but chooses not to expose it yet. He goes rogue (secretly), and ends up at the final battle. He is there tying to acquire the plans himself, to expose the flaw, pass it off as Tarkin's error and reclaim his position as imperial hero (or sell it to the rebels). He gets caught up in the fighting as in the movie, he confronts Jyn, and he ends up allowing the two to escape on accident, as he sits in horror of the death Star arriving, and him calling for it to not fire and save him. There is irony in his ultimate death to the death Star.

Actually make him and Mads actual friends

so instead of him threatening Mads in the beginning it should have been him trying to convince his old friend that they are building a better future, that what they are doing is for the good of many. and that his soldiers would have shot Jyn's mom without his consent, then well see him trying to apologize to Mads throughout the first half of the film because it was indeed unintentional

I would have loved it if he wasnt trying to be evil in the first half at all, like he is really trying to do his job because he thinks its the right thing to do and feel betrayed when Mads admits that he betrayed him and goes full evil because hes fucking tired of not feeling appreciated

This. You're not meant to be intimidated by Krennic, he spends half the movie getting cucked by Tarkin and Vader for Christ's sake. He's just an unlikeable little wankstain.

Yeah I think the movie would've been more interesting had we started out with them being friends and celebrating together, and having Jyn be in the Imperial armada as an officer until her father reveal the Death Star plans to her.

Holy fuck I wanted to kill myself Everytime he talked. Why?!!!!!

General Veers > all

if they had allowed him to kill the bitch cunt and the pretty boy, then faced his death like the hero he truly is.

>Ben Mendehelson
>Chandler Kyle

Holy shit I have to watch this

Pic related.

If they didn't replace the second act completely and retool the third act for it, he would have felt actually a part of the movie instead of getting cucked endlessly by Tarkin

He was just trying to get some respect in the workplace. Did he deserve to die for that?

Doesn't matter, the main cast was so bland it actually made him look like the better character

This would have actually been super comfy, having him do the "Still the idealist? You haven't changed old friend" bit with Mads would have given him much better motivation (especially if he'd been the one to suggest bringing Mads back on to the project - and had staked his reputation / career on him agreeing to his superiors

This movie gave Tarkin more personality than he ever had in New Hope. What the fuck is with that.

Why didn't they use Thrawn?

He is in the rebels show right now

He goes planet to planet doing this
youtube.com/watch?v=bbgf5BC_s-4

backstory that one of the rebels killed someone close to him, in an attack

>but we cant have our rogue one heroes look bad or less than perfect!

shitty writing.

Evil white man in a white suit

Whoa