Call me a fucking pleb but I don't get jazz...

Call me a fucking pleb but I don't get jazz, I've been listening to a bunch of albums these week and when they start to go off the main melody it's like they're speaking sanskrit it makes NO sense to me, it just doesn't tell me anything at all or catch my attention in any way
i feel like a fucking brainlet cavemen, i'm not here to shit on jazz i want to be educated Please help.

albums i've listened to:
john coltrane - blue train
john coltrane - a love supreme
miles davis - kind of blue
charles mingus - black saint
stan getz & joao gilberto - getz/gilberto (i liked some parts of this)
duke ellington / charles mingus / max roach - money jungle
bill evans trio - portrait in jazz

Other urls found in this thread:

youtu.be/Q6H6DjPBFOo
youtu.be/DX1N0j65H-0
youtu.be/vKOekWuzk3o
youtube.com/watch?v=hNRHHRjep3E
youtube.com/watch?v=wRe1U17n5OY
youtube.com/watch?v=YKANToc0SeM
youtube.com/watch?v=Gsz3mrnIBd0
youtube.com/watch?v=BbJBc2aSqAI
youtube.com/watch?v=iMaSNJ9G_AM
youtube.com/watch?v=L_XJ_s5IsQc
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

try out some monk
youtu.be/Q6H6DjPBFOo
latin stuff
youtu.be/DX1N0j65H-0
fusion maybe?
youtu.be/vKOekWuzk3o

Jazz in itself is for retards, so you must be severely retarded if you don't get it.

its music from another time when people were looking for something else.

imagine listening to current music in 60 years time, wtf is this shite?

I would suggest to listen to some nu jazz or fusion and then come back to those later on.
Also coltrane's my favorite things is pretty great and most people like it

Classical is the only acceptable form of music

Jazz is a meme, just listen to the blues.

Classical is an even bigger meme

Your going too deep too early. Try some Hard bop first, like Moanin' by the Jazz messengers for instance. Swing and Bebop are good to listen to as well. Stuff like Dizzy Gillespie. You should also learn some history as your listening. I highly recommend the Ken Burns doc series on Jazz.

You don't have to like it. Hating it, is as much enjoyable and you don't have to waste time listening.

listen to this one then
youtube.com/watch?v=hNRHHRjep3E

Just out of curiosity. Age? Musical training? I can answer you better with that info.

Listen to:

Inventions and Dimensions
Empyrean Isles
Maiden Voyage
Fat Albert Rotunda
Sextant
Head Hunters
Thrust
Man Child
The Piano
Mr.Hands

In that order. And then you'll be a big jazz fan.

I might add some essential Jazz terminology:
>Theme/head
>Solo
>trading 4's/8's/16's etc..
>Cat
>II, V, I
>Polyrhythm
>The lick
>Playing "out" or "free"
>jazz standard
>modal harmony

If you don't know the meaning of these terms, learning them will greatly increase your jazz listening experience. Btw or all we know John Coltrane could well have been speaking in sanskrit in his solos.

i only like Jazz with riffs. Bobby Hutcherson,Coltrane and Miles stuff(his fusion stuff especially).

19, i don't really know anything about music theory other than like reading sheet music

Listen to Miles Davis circa fusion electric era
And Herbie Hancock - Mwandishi

After that, something cool like George Benson, Freddy Hubbard or Gary Bartz

I didn't like jazz when I was 19. I liked some records, but mostly some tracks. I didn't get what was it about.
Now, 15 years later I like it a lot, but that's because I know what they are trying to do (at least, most of the players). If you can read music that will help you a lot, but if you play an instrument that's even better.
Imagine jazz as a forced painting. They are giving the musicians some already existing structure, like a chord sequence and a melody, and they can vary it freely. So every time so listen to a version of a standard, you shouldn't be focusing on the original version, but what the musician is adding (or even taking from it).
I don't want to give you a more technical description of what is going on, but, again, think about it as a rudimentary landscape that every musician is working on. So you really need to put some attention to it, to get the different added details.
Just listen to this, that might be considered a very standard version, without many variations: youtube.com/watch?v=wRe1U17n5OY
And these: youtube.com/watch?v=YKANToc0SeM
youtube.com/watch?v=Gsz3mrnIBd0
youtube.com/watch?v=BbJBc2aSqAI

Do you play an instrument?
Why do you want to get into jazz?

I'll have you know that I had to get into jazz for school and most of the albums you mentioned are not starter material. I got into them later and some took several listens before any getting. I am surprised you didn't like Kind of Blue though, most people enjoy it regardless of whether they like jazz or not.

What are some good blues stuff though?

i fuck around on keyboard and guitar but like mary had a little lamb level of complexity
i wanna get into jazz because it looks interesting
kind of blue is moody and alright but i don't really know what's happening after the first minute of any song

When you listen to jazz solos what you have to realize is that what's being played is almost always related in some abstracted way to something else in the song (in good jazz anyway).

At it's most basic, the solos are usually related to the pre-written chords of the song, and that allows the musician to improvise and make the music sound consonant.

But going deeper, parts of the improvisation will also be based on fragments of the written melody, rhythms of the written melody, or fragments or rhythms that somebody else in the group just played. So then the soloist and the accompanists are constantly giving and taking ideas from each other and figuring out how everything relates to everything else is what makes it fun to listen to.

Most people aren't really used to listening to instrumental music closely enough to pick up on these types of things so good jazz albums really require repeated listening, especially if you've never really listened to jazz before.

Brubeck will change your mind.

Listen to songs following a certain instrument staring with the piano. If there's a guitarist listen to that. Wes Montgomery, Grant Green and Pat Metheny are good jazz guitarists to listen to. After the first minute the band usually goes into solo mode where they're still playing the changes of a song but in a diminished way as to leave room for the soloist, in postbop period records (1960-) you'll start to notice the comp section responding to what the soloist is doing. Really check out the Ken Burns jazz doc, you can find at least the first 5 eps on youtube.
youtube.com/watch?v=iMaSNJ9G_AM

Snarky Puppy is the way to go
youtube.com/watch?v=L_XJ_s5IsQc
Dig the keyboard solo. No sanskrit, just emotion in plain english. If you don't feel this one you got no soul