How do feel about album related and synthwave in general...

How do feel about album related and synthwave in general? Unique revival of old musical styles with modern techniques or mass produced pleb tier trash?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=rqIZKWpWJjc
youtube.com/watch?v=2Hw-P1s5qPY
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

oversaturated and derivative. it's ok for a listen every now and then but it'll be forgotten in a few years.
I feel like the concept has potential, if only people tried to sound unique and not carbon copies of Com Truise / Kavinsky (who are mediocre to begin with)

i like stranger things into theme desu
pleb on the genre and what i've head so far that isn't stranger things aren't as nice

a few amazing albums came out of it, but the rest is generic garbage

Most synthwave albums I've listened to have been pretty forgettable, Trilogy is really the only one I ever come back to. A little too much 80's worship in a lot of it for my taste.

Any suggestions? Pic related is also pretty good.

all synthwave albums pale in comparison

non-unique revival of an old musical style with more modern techniques and a different format (album format) and distribution method.

There's no denying that it appeals to a niche group of plebs (vidya babbies) or that there's a bit of market saturation going on, but it's not supposed to be anything more than the audio equivalent of cheap slasher and sexploitation movies, so it really can't be faulted for being unsophisticated or samey.
In fact, sophisticated or "ambitious" synthwave often sounds worse than the basic stuff because it tries to "break the mold" and ends up sacrificing the aesthetic of synthwave in favor of unimpressive displays of musicianship and production skills.

>mass produced pleb tier trash?
No, that would rather be Sup Forums's attempts to hijack synthwave. Subpar approximations churned out as fast as possible. Even more clunky than the "ambitious" stuff, but for the opposite reasons: half-assed, clumsy, trying to get by on aesthetics alone.

Fortunately the majority of synthwave, as samey as it may be, strikes a middle ground between the two. it's not about skill or aesthetics alone, it's about making a competent recreation of cheap 80s movie/game soundtracks with a synthpop/rock album formula in mind. Simple, efficient entertainment for a niche audience.

it's generic but in a good way

>A little too much of what makes it good for my taste
Then why even bother with synthwave if you don't like its main draw?

If anything there's not even 80s worship going on in synthwave. By that I mean that it focuses too much on a very specific subset of 80s music (movie and vidya soundtracks) at the expense of the rest.
If synthwave artists took more inspiration from new wave, post-punk, synthfunk, glam metal, thrash metal, EBM, goth rock, darkwave, italo disco, and a bunch of other stuff, then it would certainly have enough variety to satisfy everyone without betraying its core appeal.
But for some fucked-up reason, every time a synthwave artist tries to "innovate", it's by including production gimmicks from this century and most of the time it just doesn't work.

not enough*

I was referring more to the aesthetic around the music than anything else. And yeah, I know that's a bad reason to dislike the music itself.

It use to have variety
Now its all Pert/Brute copycats. Once I heard Roller Mobster, I lost all interests in this genre. Come to find out, thats now 98% of synthwave. Kinda like when vaporwave just became nothing but future funk

Fucking awful music. Why can't the 80's fuck off and die already.

shut up, radiohead fanboy

And I really don't think that's a bad thing, except if you're a nerd who feels the need to classify and compare things. I don't mean to say that it should be approached as playlist music, but at the end of the day it's really not about providing you with something unique, it's about keeping you in a certain mood.

I sure as fuck don't complain about the dozens of bands that successfully rip off Motörhead as long as they do it right, so I have no reason to complain about the projects that rip off Carpenter Brut and Perturbator.

I don’t know anything about this but when the point of any music is the genre that it is then that is a fault (genre should be a descriptor assigned after the fact)

That's a fucked-up way of evaluating things.

Each genre has a formula and standards. If you want to follow that formula because it's a good formula, then you totally should.
By advertising your product as part of a genre, you promise to live up to the standards of the genre, and that's laudable (if you actually live up to them of course)

mm i think you can find those things you just dont know where to look. i make synthfunk i know bands that make italo disco but mostly what you are talking about is just 80s inspired bands that would be different genres not synthwave ...

would you complain all punk bands play with distorted guitars and sound the same after a while? if they dont then they probably just arent punk bands this is the same with every genre really

I mean that if synthwave artists seek to diversify their sound, or go for a gimmick, they should look into those genres instead of looking into more modern stuff. I'm not complaining about sameyness in synthwave, I'm complaining about MISGUIDED attempts to steer away from sameyness.

I don't doubt that synthfunk and italo disco are still alive and well.

youtube.com/watch?v=rqIZKWpWJjc
these guys make some good cheesy italo disco

youtube.com/watch?v=2Hw-P1s5qPY

here's a synthfunk track i made it might not fit to the most synthwave of genre but i think a few of my ideas are closer to less synthwave side. i just like trying to make shit groovy with interesting bass lines

once again I'm not asking people to do more straight-up synthfunk or italo disco or anything. I'm saying that synthwave artists looking to diversify their sound should take inspiration from some of those genres
Stop using my post as an excuse to shill your stuff.

why would i not use the excuse though when it's appropriate you really cant blame me for that. it would be a relevant example if i just said someone else made it. and yes ill stop since ie already done it so there's no need to keep going lol

but thats esentially what me and other people are doing, sterring away to various degrees using other less familiar genres that were around in the 80s

good initiative then

however
>lol
not on Sup Forums. Maybe on facebook but not here

Perturbator has proved himself better than other synthwave artists through pic related. Mega Drive and Dan Terminus are still stuck in the scene which is a shame because they have some decent potiental

well the scene is what made perturbator interesting to me, this new super dark and heavy direction is just to oppressive and wearing for me to really enjoy. it definitely isnt synthwave. i saw him play earlier this year and met him, really chill dude which was cool. just wish he'd take a step back to the dangerous days or even the sexualizer days. doubt that will happen though