>Coldwave
Post-punk but sad and synth heavy

>New Wave
quirky punk

>No Wave
Post-punk that actively rejects listenability

you've got the right idea but

darkwave:
ethereal goth post-punk, basically gothic rock inspired by synthpop and electro-industrial.
ex.: clan of xymox

coldwave:
post-punk-influenced, downtempo, synth heavy, sorrow-sounding. originated in france and britain. less ethereal than darkwave and more clean and stripped down resulting in an almost eerie and 'cold' sound.
ex.: asylum party

new wave:
quirky pop and funk-influenced punk. most music of the 1980s which gets labeled as 'new wave' is merely synthpop or funk. rhythmic guitar, experimental time signatures, drum machines, synthesizers, etc. new wave was heavily inspired by african music, power pop (notice the mod-influenced sound and fashion in power pop, and notice the mod-influenced fashion in the new wave scene) and disco. distinct from post-punk mostly in the 'fun' atmosphere and the lack of angular sounds. as new wave inspired musicians and synthesizers became more popular, new romantic came into existence.
ex.: talking heads, the b-52's

no wave:
punk and post-punk-influenced movement which actively rejects listenability and has a stripped down, minimalist sound. often utilizing mostly diy techniques in music creation and performing. angular rhythms, mumbled or screamed lyrics, and lack of concern with melody or 'proper' song structure.
ex.: dna, contortions, the 'no new york' v/a compilation

every time i think of no wave as a movement, i imagine how much i would fucking hate being around those hipsters if i'd ever met them back in the 80s new york scene. nihilism is so fucking gay.

nihilism is sensible
but they definitely are a bunch of hipster fucks

i understand entropy as the end all, but i don't dress up like an idiot because of it

no wave just frustrates me like that. at least industrial-types follow through with their rhetoric.

wtf their clothes were cool
dna's were at least

So which genre would something like this be considered? I'm just looking for that minimal clean guitar/bass sound

youtube.com/watch?v=PXvGxqX7I84

it sounds like some joy division songs but most post-punk doesnt really have the same feel

Coldwave: Synth-reliant French Post-Punk known for sounding mechanical and atmospheric.

Dark Wave/Darkwave: Gothic Rock infused ambient music. More synth reliant, but doesn't exclude live instruments entirely, especially Neo-Classical Dark Wave.

New Wave: umbrella term to describe (sometimes) Post-Punk derived pop music from the 1980s.

No Wave: late 70s underground New York variant of Post-Punk that sways in more avant-garde territory that's noisier and more agressive. Commonly features jazz instrumentation.
All of them are related, but distinct.

Coldwave: m.youtube.com/watch?v=ldgDZVX2tAk

Dark Wave: m.youtube.com/watch?v=FCrAnh_4o0E

New Wave:
m.youtube.com/watch?v=CMpe-TWbN1A

No Wave:
m.youtube.com/watch?v=re6uN1lOTQw

>nihilism is sensible
If you're in a phase, sure. Absurdism is the true sensibility.

>not posting the greatest Coldwave song of all time
youtu.be/VeZtT8zBaZU

Nigger please, these songs surpass Julia.

m.youtube.com/watch?v=_DFebkDpJnM

m.youtube.com/watch?v=9KmU2FiRx8Y

coldwave

It's both Post-Punk and Goth Rock, in that early Goth Rock was dark Post-Punk. Especially with LH, all their stuff is a modern installment in old Goth Rock. Sometimes they do minimal wave though.

absurdism is just a coping mechanism

>Coldwave
Maybe in part, but it's too fake 80s Goth to be Coldwave alone.

*Nihilism is just a coping mechanism
>FTFY
Absurdism correctly diagnoses existence as an incomprehensible concept that can neither be meaningful or meaningless unless someone makes it that way. Our need to search for or deny meaning is absurd given the number of possibilities that can either confirm or negate such beliefs. You're wasting your time if you think you can ascribe or dismantle meaning from existence. In other words, cheer up Nihilists and settle down Existentialists, you're both blowhards who talk out their asses trying to figure out something they can't.

>"emos are cynical whereas goths are more nihilistic
>wait I thought WE were cynical and THEY were nihilistic.
>What? Oh whatever it doesn't matter.
>see now you're being cynical.
>oh I guess you're right."

Who in pic

le benis hanober :DDDD

I like post-punk, goth, and industrial music, and I like a lot of French music, but every coldwave album I've ever heard sounds like crap to me.

I've seen Depeche Mode classified as Coldwave a couple times
is that bullshit?

Indochine are pretty fucking catchy

but man their lyrics are dumb and their vocal delivery goofy as hell

it's just totally armoire

As a goth I have to say thank fuck emo culture is dead. All the morons who think black clad is the same and the commercial "emo" fans muddying the waters.

Oh it's not dead, it lives on as soundcloud rap on the one hand, and trapfags on the other.

I'd consider that dead considering the extreme deviation from original scenes. It's unrecognizeable from its source materials. Those are separate movements evolved from a common ancestor.