I don't understand how anyone can defend him. Regardless of what you think of AMLOR, The Division Bell...

I don't understand how anyone can defend him. Regardless of what you think of AMLOR, The Division Bell, and The Endless River, they were the good guys.

If you're talking about the suit, he's admitted he was wrong about it. Anyone trying to defend that specific decision is a literal brainlet.

A Momentary Lapse of Reason [Columbia, 1987]

"One Slip," which provides the title at just the moment the singer is so "decadent" as to copulate with a woman, is no less sexist than the rape-fantasy cover of Roger Waters's Pros and Cons of Hitchhiking. "The Dogs of War," ID'd with blues bottom, could almost be the tin soldiers of Waters-as-Floyd's The Final Cut. In short, you'd hardly know the group's conceptmaster was gone--except that they put out noticeably fewer ideas. C

The Division Bell [Columbia, 1994] *bomb*

AMLOR is one of the worst albums I've veer heard but The Division Bell is a masterpiece and The Endless River is decent if you think of it has a collection of demos and outtakes, which it is. Meanwhile Roger Waters just bitches about daddy and the war.

It's undeniable that David's guitar playing and Rick's keyboard playing are what made Pink Floyd's sound.

How come Christgau always rates based on implied sexism? Not defending AMLOR but good lord.

He doesn't seem to have any problem doing shit like this

>How come Christgau always rates based on implied sexism?
He's permanently guilty because he had sex with a girlfriend the night after she was raped.

because he's a numale

I Iike Roger Waters a lot because of his work in Pink Floyd. I also think he's a witty political activist. I don't listen to his solo stuff because I expect it to be shit, because he's an aging rockstar. I treat The Rolling Stones, The Who, The Stooges, Bob Dylan, Bruce Springsteen, and many others the same way - just because they eventually wound up making self-indulgent crap, doesn't in any way negate the work they made in their prime. In those rare cases where artists continued to be good way past "their era," like with John Cale, we should give particular praise, but not criticize others who fail to do so.

wow really?

funfact: I listen to AMLOR more than I listen to DSOTM

It was rejected by EMI because it was so bad and forced them to bring in a team of collaborators to make it passable as a Pink Floyd album. It has no place in existing.

>60s-70s band goes to shit in the 80s
Stop the presses.

Pete Townshend and Mick Jagger's solo albums are the same flavor of smug self-indulgency.

>It's undeniable that David's guitar playing and Rick's keyboard playing are what made Pink Floyd's sound.
Without Roger they didn't really have anything to apply their skills to. The Division Bell is great on an atmospheric level, but the actual songwriting on there is pretty flimsy. Roger had substance. The brooding cynicism that was so crucial to their sound came from him.

So basically Christgau was right. Without Roger, you notice how the songwriting gets a lot thinner.

Don Henley's were all that and then some.

Im glad AMLOR does exist, so that Roger Water dick-suckers like you can make fools out of yourselves on the internet in threads like these.

The 80s cheese production on AMLOR is so bad and dated.

Why did they split up then?

Waters decided that Floyd were done as a creative force.

Listening to The Nile Song now. Damn, I love that song.

>mfw I kept seeing this thread in catalog in the corner of my eye and thought it was Tim Allen every time

>saying a terrible album is terrible means you're a Roger Waters dick-sucker
if anything you're the one embarrassing yourself as a Gilmour dick-sucker
AMLOR is awful

He basically wrote Animals and DSOTM in their entirety. He doesn’t need anyone to defend him

He was at his best when he pulled the most heavily from the other members in order do what he wanted. When you listen to something like Us and Them, the Wall just doesn't have that.

i hate most PF lyrics and only listen for the music so dont give too much of a fuck about Roger desu. Do like the Echoes lyrics though.