Learning guitar after getting one for Christmas. Tips?

Learning guitar after getting one for Christmas. Tips?

Pic related, still of a video I took to show my friend my progress on a song.

Other urls found in this thread:

tabs.ultimate-guitar.com/tab/johnny_cash/ring_of_fire_chords_63352
tabs.ultimate-guitar.com/tab/ramones/locket_love_chords_179961
dylanchords.info/02_freewheelin/blowin_in_the_wind.htm
youtube.com/watch?v=r4pZ3cvPm9E
youtu.be/Hf9SxtjvA5U
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Start learning chords- C, G, D, E, and A are probably the most important at this stage.

I would recommend finding someone to help you through the awkward learning stage.

Most important is to have a couple simple, well-known enough songs in mind you would like to learn. The well-known part is important because I don't see people putting up chord sheets for the Diablo Swing Orchestra. No, guys like Credence Clearwater Revival, the Beatles, Beach Boys, those guys have well-documented songs. Folk, punk, classic rock, those are usually simple enough. This simple song will keep your goals within your reach at this beginning stage. As you get better and faster at switching chords, learn new fancy chords and more difficult songs. Works for me

Thank you.

Also important is whether playing lead guitar is an objective- if so, find some major and blues scale sheets and get to it.

No problem my man

Here's a couple songs in particular I started out on:

tabs.ultimate-guitar.com/tab/johnny_cash/ring_of_fire_chords_63352

A lot of Johnny Cash songs are good

tabs.ultimate-guitar.com/tab/ramones/locket_love_chords_179961

If you have a capo, this song is very easy with the capo on the 2nd fret

dylanchords.info/02_freewheelin/blowin_in_the_wind.htm

If you like Bob Dylan, you're in luck, because some dude has spent an inordinate amount of time figuring out the chords for just about every song the guy has ever done. Don't be intimidated by the many chord symbols- they are just slight variations on your foundational chords and will help you spice up your music at this early stage. Or you can just keep it G, C, D. Your call.

Would add minor chords to this
Amin, Emin, Dmin.

Ooh, thanks for catching that. Yes, those are also essential chords for the beginner

First: book beginner guitar lessons.

Learn string names. Learn semitones and tones and the musical A-G 12 step system.

Then learn chords. Actually learn about why chords are called what they are like a C9 or an A7.

After that, LEARN SCALES.

Then....here's the important stuff.
.......You don't stop practising. I'm talking about like an hour a day at least of pure practice. You get what you give. If you stop because your fingertips hurt or because of procrastination, you're not getting better than that level. If you plateau in skill, don't stop practising thinking you've hit your limit and all you need is time. That's bullshit and you need to keep playing even if you think you're not getting any better.

I've been practicing about the long each day since Christmas, no plans of stopping.

Fuck yeah dude.
We've got a winner.

Not OP, but how do you practice scales? All I know is the minor pentatonic scale. but I don't know any practice routines with it.

Learning to read music is better than tablature

I'd actually appreciate an answer to this as well.

people who practice scales are losers. solos are dog shit dude kys

Play the scale on a random backing track
Stay in key and play

I mean, you go up the scale and down the scale at a consistent speed. Not complicated, but the "consistent" part is extremely important.

If you really want to git gud, I would recommend learning which scales you're playing (e.g. you start at the 5th fret of the E string, it's a kind of A scale) and switching between types of scales (e.g. major, minor, blues, pentatonic etc.), and going through every note like that.

It's like practising chord changes - for each key find the major and minor scale for each. Play them forwards and backwards at different octaves, then try to mix scales together at least in a 4/4 12 bar system.

Personally it's just a lot of repetition and muscle memory. Search up tablature or sheet music on each scale. Find out variants for yourself. Most importantly is just to keep repeating it in fun ways (matching scales up with each other and working out solos is what keeps it engaging to me) to make it feel worthwhile. Because yeah technical understanding and muscle memory is great but what keeps us coming back is the dopamine hit of it working in a "completed" fashion.

I really appreciate all the help.

youtube.com/watch?v=r4pZ3cvPm9E

It's not a scale, but I suggest you do these routines every day to build up dexterity so that when you do start memorizing scales, you won't be inhibited by your physical ability to play them.

No problemo! Just remember: continue sucking until you suck less ;) that's how I learned and continue to learn.

We did it, lads. Got a wholesome thread on Sup Forums

Not OP but I'm only practicing about less than a week and I can play vid related decently, I'm actually having a blast every practice session and this is coming from somebody who almost never touched a guitar in his life.
youtu.be/Hf9SxtjvA5U

The biggest thing is just learning to play songs you like. If you're not having fun with it you're not going to want to keep playing. Good luck.

Your shirt is too big and too ugly

btw, I know you're young and you think it looks cool, but you should take off the sticker. It'll look better when you're serenading hot girls with your guitar playing. Trust me.