One hit wonder

>one hit wonder

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Flys_(American_band)
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_one-hit_wonders_in_the_United_States#1990s
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Talk:List_of_one-hit_wonders_in_the_United_States#Inclusion_Criteria
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Talk:List_of_2010s_one-hit_wonders_in_the_United_States#Inclusion_criteria
twitter.com/AnonBabble

Only in the US.

The chart you just posted says Live Forever, Wonderwall, Champagne Supernova and D'You Know What I mean were all hits. That's not counting the hits form their following albums

Nice try though

aside from the "woo hoo" song who the fuck cares what those inbred limeys put out

Only because Champagne Supernova wasn't allowed to chart because it was never released as a physical single. From radio play alone it was a Top 10 hit on all the pop stations.

Also the chart in the OP is the American modern rock chart.

Honestly, this Amerimutt ToddInTheShadows attitude towards music is shameful and plebian

Don't understand what you mean.

I am from the US. I honestly have only heard of Wonderwall. I couldnt hum it for you though.

Except they weren't.
If they weren't released as singles they weren't eligible.
Literally can't be a hit

"Nice try though"

Only the main hot 100 chart counts towards an artist being A one hit wonder or not. If all charts counted we wouldn't have any one hit wonders.

>Except they weren't.
I see five right here, on the right-most column

Oasis sold out Madison Square Garden in like 2006, at a point at which their biggest US hits were almost a decade old. They were never as big in the US as they were everywhere else(in large part thanks to their own incapability to keep it together whenever the time came for them to promote themselves or tour in America) but they weren't a one hit wonder by any stretch of the imagination.

See the second message here.
Charting on charts for other sub genres doesn't count towards an artist being a one hit wonder or not. By literal definition if you only have one hit on the hot 100, you're a one hit wonder.

>See the second message here.
They were all released as singles.

The second message.
That was the first.

No, I addressed the second message

That was the first message. Addressed to the first poster.

Read the second message. Directed to the second poster.

>number 10 on mainstream Top 40/pop stations, same peak as wonderwall

B-BUT It's not a hit because muh Hot 100.

By that logic Madonna's "Into the Groove", Sugar Ray's "Fly", Goo Goo Doll's "Iris", The Rembrandts' "I’ll Be There For You", No Doubt'd "Don't Speak", Alanis Morisette's "Hand in My Pocket", Counting Crows' "Mr. Jones", The Cranberries' "Zombie", Soundgarden' "Black Hole Sun", Weezer's "Buddy Holly", Butthole Surfers' "Pepper", and Green Day's "Good Riddance (Time Of Your Life)" weren't real hits despite the fact that they all were played heavily on mainstream Top 40 pop stations, in heavy rotation on MTV, and made the Hot 100 airplay charts. But because their label didn't put out a CD single in record stores, these songs were never popular at all.

Do you know how retarded you sound?

Oh I see. OK lets try it again.
>Charting on charts for other sub genres doesn't count towards an artist being a one hit wonder or not.
This is wrong.

Literally not the point I was discussing with you.

Those three points were delivered in one message. And the wiki footnotes said several of them weren’t released as physical singles. Even if they were they did not chart on the main billboard hot 100. So they are by definition one hit wonders.

But since you’re going to nitpick and pretend that one message is three, fine. Then read the “fourth” point that you didn’t numbers.

If all of those songs did not reach the top 40 on the hot 100 then yes, you are correct, they were technically not literal hits.

Wow calm down. I know you are upset that we found the loophole in the argument, but no need to get butthurt.

For a band to be a "One Hit Wonder" they need a hit. The specific chart doesn't matter. So your logic is wrong anyways.

>needs to specifically be on the Hot 100
[citation needed]

Yes it was. You said if a song (champagne supernova) didn't chart high on the Hot 100 it wasn't a hit.

Ie. But these songs were literally all over MTV and Top 40 radio, so would that in effect make them "hit" songs. You're being pedantic. All those songs were incredibly popular.

But it isn’t.
If you look at other one hit wonders they have different “hits” on different genre charts but they didn’t have others on the main billboard chart. So by that definition they would still only have one hit.

I don’t see how offering counter arguments is “getting butthurt” but ok.

Give me a few minutes I’ll find a source.

They didn't make it on the Hot 100 because the rules (until 1998) didn't allow non-physical singles to chart. But that's why they made the Hot 100 airplay charts, so they could see the most popular songs on the radio (which is also a good measure of popularity)

>If you look at other one hit wonders they have different “hits” on different genre charts
Not really

Remember these guys? en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Flys_(American_band)
They were a one hit wonder. And their only hit was on the Alternative charts.

Yet they are still a one hit wonder.
I doubt it.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_one-hit_wonders_in_the_United_States#1990s

>No Oasis

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Talk:List_of_one-hit_wonders_in_the_United_States#Inclusion_Criteria

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Talk:List_of_2010s_one-hit_wonders_in_the_United_States#Inclusion_criteria

>But these songs were literally all over MTV and Top 40 radio, so would that in effect make them "hit" songs.
If they were supposedly big hits, how come they didn't chart on the Hot 100?

Only source I could find was the Wikipedia definition. Not sure that’s a credible enough one.

But if we are counting wiki looks like I was wrong. My bad, then.

>35+ here
"Live Forever" was absolutely an MTV "buzzworthy" hit that got played constantly, and then Champagne Supernova and Wonderwall were massive.
They were a 3 (or at least 2.5) hit wonder

>Only source I could find was the Wikipedia definition
If you kept reading you'd see that One Hit Wonders are exclusive to a specific market. Thus an artist who had only one top 40/20/10 hit in a smaller-market chart still counts as a One Hit Wonder.

Add Don't Look Back in Anger and Don't Go Away to this as well.

Wiki used to list them based on "Having a Top 40 single on the Hot 100" criteria, alongside the likes of Blink 182, the Grateful Dead, New Order, Beck, Public Enemy, The Offspring, The Prodigy, Fatboy Slim, The White Stripes. But people kept complaining that all these artists had had hugely popular songs outside the technically charting ones or legacy outside that one song.

Forgot about DLBIA. That was big, but not quite WW/CS big.

I kind of remember Don't Go Away (I know they played it on SNL), but I have no idea how it actually goes.

>Forgot about DLBIA. That was big, but not quite WW/CS big.
I'd have to disagree. It's still played at weddings. I did it at a karaoke once and even drunk fuckers at the bar who'd hate Oasis started singing along.

>I kind of remember Don't Go Away (I know they played it on SNL), but I have no idea how it actually goes.
I say this because I remember it being played at K-Mart a lot in the lat 90s. It was the most American sounding song on that recording I think. .

>People whined that artists they like only had one hit
Isn’t that the whole point of the “the artists can still be influential” disclaimer at the beginning?