Who is your favorite villain in cinema?

Who is your favorite villain in cinema?

Other urls found in this thread:

reddit.com/r/asoiaf/comments/2wnndn/spoilers_all_who_of_you_liked_the_mannis/cosox2b/?context=3
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

Where do you think Vader would rank

Shit tier in the OT

I actually agree with OP, but you've got him here.

Despite Vader's motivations being mid-tier, he's almost iconic enough to trump that prob.

Where does Lelouch stand?

Ever seen SGU? You'd probably love Dr. Rush.

Magneto in the Xmen First Class was pretty good, literally elder tier by the end of the movie since he saved everyone on that beach and killing the men in those boats is justified.

Who is the villian in the elder god tier picture?

>Character development happens off screen before the movie starts
>Revenge plot out of desperation
>One memorable line despite being a character that only monologues

Great performance by Rutger Hauer, terrible character. Ridley Scott doesn't into scripts.

2/10, would not watch again

He would be high tier as he was reacting to save his wife and against preserved wrongs

Griffith from Berserk

He's actually just a huge, power hungry fag

I want my villains to be unlikable pieces of shit. I'm fucking bored of misunderstood anti heroes.

What are Griffith's motives? Isn't it just that he wants his own country?

Is the quality of a villain only valued through their motivation though?

Maybe Hannibal's motives are meh, but the character in itself is great

Go to bed, Mike.

what about the villains who sacrifice their morals to commit evil for the greater good?

Nurse Ratched. THICC AS FUKK

t. 7th grade boy

I'll bet you all my pokeman cards that Rogue One is bettee than TFW.

I only watch films with no villains

>not realizing that symbolism is more important than the plot in Blade Runner
I don't think this film is for you.

This is a valid question.

Is Macbeth a shit villain because he lusts for power and is tempted by it?

Griffith. Berserk manga

This is an image made to Really Make You Think™

He's Great tier or Elder God tier according to OP image, depending on how effective you think his plan would be.

He's not a villan Rorschachfag.

Are soldiers evil because they shoot people?

God complex. Craves people needing him and depending on him. Wants to be king of the universe really.

I agree but if you ever say this in public nerds will just tell you to go read a book if you don't like it.

The movie is overrated though.

>:)

Vader, Chigurh, Reverend Harry Powel, John Doe and Tommy DeVito.

>craves people believing in him
>goes on to kill his longtime friends and allies

No, he just wants order in a world thats going fucking Berserk™

Certainly not, although I do like Ridley Scott and his career being a Concept Director.

Which is why it's not unbelievable, but somewhat annoying I suppose that he'd take on a script loosely adapted from Phillip K. Dick.

I mean shit, it's the end-all of the Cyberpunk aesthetic, but the characters are worse than Gladiator, not to mention some of the scene direction.

In terms of symbolism you're reading too much into it. Scott may be a visual talent, but he's not Lucas levels of (attempted) visual poetry. There's nothing to even symbolize because the script doesn't amount to having any depth.

What's there to even symbolize?

Oh, Amon Goeth is good too...

soldiers have a chain of command that is grounded in the public legitimacy and are held accountable for their actions in theory

acting outside or using the position of authority outside of that system would make me consider them abusing their power.

Irenicus deserved everything that happened to him. You don't attempt to ascend to godhood at the cost of an entire civilisation and expect to walk away free when you fail.

Reminder that Amon Goeth is not a villain

I really loved Harris' performance of the character and the movie overall.

>tfw you realize all villians are greater than heroes as they actually have a motive and a plan to achieve their goals, whereas heroes are merely obstacles for the villain

>goes on to sacrifices his band of merry men for the chance of literal omnipotence and to pursue subliminally subjugating the world's populace by acting as a catalyst of global calamity and basically force everyone to race into your arms for protection

God Complex famalam

not the other guy, but the most obvious is the theme of a creation killing its creator, but it also invokes Paradise Lost. Tyrell is shown as above the smog of LA, living in a pyramid close to the sun. Batty returns to Earth from (what can supposed as) a terrible life as a minor in deep space with the sole intent of killing his creator because his creator brought him into a painful world.

Though really its not that well thought through, and even my description of it doesnt make much sense once I read through it.

Meruem King of Ants

Eh, Rush is hardly a "villain". He definitely fits the other aspects of "elder god tier". His motives are better than Young and company.

Shame it got cancelled just as it was getting interesting.

The fact that you think he's not a villain is exactly what makes him elder god tier. In the movie he is presented as the antagonist, but has the best motives of all.

Griffith a qt

>I want to foster the largest war in history so that I can profit off of it

He's a cool character because Harris is a bretty good actor, but I don't think anyone would support someone who actively wants war, ESPECIALLY a war like WW1

>Just wanted to fuck
>Did his duty to cleanse the kingdom of devious fairytale shits

High tier

>villain

thoughts on pic related?

>hannibal
>meh villan
kys op

Where would agent smith/the machines be?

Between you and me, Instrumentality would be fucking sweet

>Batty returns to Earth from (what can supposed as) a terrible life as a minor in deep space with the sole intent of killing his creator because his creator brought him into a painful world

See this is the problem. This needed to be shown. You could've cut Deckard from the entire movie and just had the film be a tragedy about Batty, following him through his life. The script is written so that Batty monologues exposition to the audience, but then Deckard just follows right back up and gets that same exposition told to him, all the while having little to no character.

Cut Deckard, show Batty's motivations, less exposition monologues, couple of scenes showing Batty reading/watching the news about the Replicant's being killed (reference to Deckard off screen), more time for pure character development, concluding in the murder Eldon Tyrell being that much impactful.

Movie ends essentially the same, albeit with Batty talking to himself (alone).

His motives are deontological. I'd say a combination of mid and great. He is partly motivated by the situation he finds himself in, but his sense of duty that compels him to act a certain way because of that circumstance is just his nature and nothing more complex than that.

>Machines obeying directives
Mid Tier
>Smith fucking the whole system
High Tier

This. It's a good trope to use occasionally, not even single movie.

Nobody thinks you've made a deep analysis of X-men because you've realised Magneto isn't purely evil.

To be or not to be user, that are the question

>Shame it got cancelled just as it was getting interesting.

And that's why it got cancelled. Most sci fi fans prefer a creepy monster of the week they can blow up with cool game weapons.

A guy with questionable motives, especially one who while presented as evil may actually be the true good guy just comes across as a weird distraction from the cool stuff they sat down to watch.

Pic related: an actual good "villian" from a movie you plebians are too young to remember

Frank from 'Once Upon a Time in the West': humiliating children and Lithuanian pseudo-Mexicans 24/7.

Why?
I like having a physical body and I value my privacy.

Die globalist filth!

Macbeth is interesting because he recognizes that what he's doing is horrible, but his lust for power is stronger (partly because his fucking wife coerces him). He's a good "villain" because he's inherently tragic. The tragedy is the fact that he consciously knows he's disloyal to the king, that he's a murderer of his allies, and that he's a coward and weak. If he were not aware of these things then he'd be half the character he is now

>posting Stannis
>in a villain thread

This is some tasty bait, I'll give you that

>implying you wouldn't want to fug your young reincarnated clone mother for all eternity

Which is why there is more to the caricature of a villain than his motivations.

Macbeth's awareness isn't his motivation, and yet it's half his character.

In other words; this thread is pointless.

Palpatine did nothing wrong, he was both the literary and the moral protagonist of the prequel trilogy.

>Turns a dying, corrupt, immoral Republic into a powerful galactic Empire with a hierarchy that ceased to be built upon an impotent bureaucracy
>Justifiably purges the child-brainwashing cult-like militant religious fanatics from the inner circle of the galactic government, having showed immense leniency up until they drew first blood in a (failed) coup-turned assassination attempt against a democratically elected leader in their vain effort to secure their jealous stranglehold on the politics of the Republic, and to secure their unjustified denominational hegemony on the force as a whole
>Coordinates and then destroys the powerful (((banking clans))) and corrupt (((trade federations))) that had preyed on entire planets, like his own homeworld of Naboo, with next to no resistance from the Republic that came before him
>Transforms Coruscant from a wartorn planet with a visible crime and drug epidemic into the secure heart of the Imperial galaxy Restores order to the galaxy/makes the galaxy great again
>Promotes a largely non-dogmatic view of the force, instead of the psychologically oppressive and aggressively closed-minded view of the Jedi
>Promotes the ideas of love and family (supporting Anakin and Padme’s right to be together, to have children) over the Jedi doctrines of total chastity and emotional repression
>Raises and acts as a father figure to a deeply troubled young Jedi for many years, only for said Jedi to be ambushed, horrifically burned, and forever maimed at the hands of a Jedi master for the apparent crime of being an apostate to the Jedi Order
>Eventually assassinated in a plot by fugitive Jedi masters, and the galaxy is once again plunged right back into the darkness and unforgiving chaos that he’d spent his life and rule keeping at bay

"WHAT IS THIS SHIT?!"
- Clarence J. Boddicker

Of course not. That's a picture a bored guy made with meme titles so he can shit on some movies..
The ''We are not so different you and I..'' is a tired cliche, not a recipe for a good villain.

I prefer to choke a bitch.

technically his motives are High tier but he acts more like shit tier.

>Griffith did nothing wrong

This meme should die already.

"YOU BURNT THE FUCKIN MONEY"

Fucking best character in the novels:

reddit.com/r/asoiaf/comments/2wnndn/spoilers_all_who_of_you_liked_the_mannis/cosox2b/?context=3

well he is a machine.

>When you don't know if a comment is supposed to be taken seriosuly or not because of how misguided it is

by your image ..this one

REDDIT GET OUT REEEEEEEEE

>spoiler
You're not wrong, but he's a great character in the sense that we realize his ambitions and why he can't see past his own nose. Its interesting to watch him fall then become a true monster

The original OT was a classic hero story with a good guy and a bad guy so he would probably be shit tier.

>Green "Gas Chamber Gangster" Goblin
>shit tier

He's clearly Elder God tier as his goal is the complete destruction of the Jews.

Faggith has pretty shit motives. They are all personal. You can't honestly say that they are better than Guts'.

Just because Griffith canonically fucks old men for money/gifts doesn't mean he's a fag

Hell according to your own chart wouldn't he belong in "Shit tier" even though the author gave him a lot of backstory?

Well he wasn't very reluctant was he?

Well my favorite Western villain is Little Bill from Unforgiven

Crooked Hillary

Literal embodiment of corruption and evil

>He bought the Republican propaganda

He is really a top tier character

He would be great tier,he became a demon because his body was fucked beyond belief and that was his only chance at achieving his dream

Nice meme. Griffith is shit.

Anton Chigruh

Can you fly Franklin

The goal of the villain is for the viewer to dislike them. If you side with them over the hero, it's a bad villain.

His motivations are high-great tier though

This is simply wrong

GRIIIFIIITTHHHHHHHHH

>your best friend will never turn into a giant bird demon and fuck your girlfriend in front of you and all your men
Why can't anime be real?

he's great because he isn't some stereotypical goody two shoes who just happens to become evil. he's already a realistically flawed character at the beginning, and gets believably worse as the golden age goes on. and then he just kills and rapes everybody

No, that's terrible. A good villain is one you sympathize with and might even support if you were in the universe.