Why do most movies never age well? even the "classics"...

why do most movies never age well? even the "classics". it feels like we're supposed to watch older movies with a handicap just because they're old. most old movies are complete shit by today's standards. music doesn't seem to have this problem. movies do.

the star wars OT comes to mind. these movies are fucking awful.

I agree for the most part. Except for westerns

>most old movies are complete shit by today's standards

Are you implying that modern standards are high in any way?

They were always fluffy adventure popcorn movies targeted at kids and kids-at-heart.

The problem is that you hung out on the shittiest imageboards of the internet til' you became infected with terminal Ass Burgers.

you don't watch older movies and you don't know what you are talking about

>he can't look at things in their historical context
For 1977, 1980, and 1983, these movies were amazing.
>music
Can you imagine listening to The Ramone's first album if it came out today? That album was groundbreaking in 1976, but it hasn't aged well.

Watch the Blu-Ray release of Alien and you'd be lying if you said it looks aged.

Movies in our own current modern ''standards'' can look stylistically and thematically too much of their time, though lad. Laughably so, in fact.

For eg. Rogue 1 already looks incredibly dated already 2bh famamlam... the shitty cgi stuff aint gonna help it either.

It's true. If 2001 Space Odyssey were released today it would be one of those straight to Netflix flicks with a 10% rating on RT.

bullshit, IV V and VI will always be the best.

>For 1977, 1980, and 1983, these movies were amazing.

So you're giving it a MUH ERA handicap

I haven't seen the Bluray. I'm not saying there aren't exceptions. But most older movies are indeed shit.

'no'

I see they left out the Ewoks in the final poster. They were legitimately the primary cause of the fall of The Galactic Empire. Also Episode 4 and 6 are overrated as fuck story wise.

>why do most movies never age well?
In what sense? Visually? Many older films have great cinematography and set design, so I disagree. A better statement would be that most movies are never good to begin with, but that's true for everything.

Certainly many action sequences can afford to be more dynamic now than in, say, 1980. The OT is still great, though. Many other old films are great. If you're a teenager and expect every action movie to be like The Avengers you'll be disappointed though, I guess.

alderaan

Its safe to say no movie you like that was released in the last 10 years would exist at all without the "old shitty movies" you think are so shit.

God, you people are not getting the point of the thread

Yea, those movies were important at their time, but why do they feel like shit when watching today? What's with movies that makes em age so bad?

Music does not have this problem, for example

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder
I.e. it's a matter of taste and yours is shit

Nice counter retard

Here's your reply, fag

This is a great question, and I think the answer is simply that culture evolves. The original Star Wars trilogy is pretty poorly done. Scenes are boring. Graphics are laughable. Stunts are silly. Go back to the 50s and it's even more so but with boring levela cranked up to 11. Keep going back and you get Shakespeare. His plays were not high brow and having to sit through one of those can be excrutiating.

The point I'm getting at is that what the common society finds to be amazing is only amazing for that brief point in time. If it touches enough people, it's shown to those people's kids and eventually cements itself in the tradition of that society. It's the memories tied to that stuff that keep it around. Rose tinted glasses and all that. So when we go to watch these "classics", we watch them to connect with a part of our societal history, to better understand where certain ideas and jokes came from.

As to why people claim they're perfect or even aging well? I think they're just trying to protect their feelings. Clearly they care about these films but don't understand that it's okay to like things with flaws.

I liked movies better before the era of sequels. It's like everyone threw original ideas into the trash and got roped into a soap opera like conveyor belt of shit these days. Then again, most ideas for the screen came from books, maybe that's the source of the problem? More writers?

There's no need to counter if you're just saying baseless shit

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder
Its a matter of taste and your taste is shit

>shakespeare is boring

>Keep going back and you get Shakespeare. His plays were not high brow and having to sit through one of those can be excrutiating.
Get a load of this guy.