Why does Sup Forums only ever talk about shitty indie music? Are there no progressive rock/metal fans on here anymore...

Why does Sup Forums only ever talk about shitty indie music? Are there no progressive rock/metal fans on here anymore? (Pic related i guess)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=LK8JgjNxumo
youtube.com/watch?v=6UpXjBOBQB8
youtube.com/watch?v=ZcVZ3OL4YE4
youtube.com/watch?v=12ejFJkU4kk
youtube.com/watch?v=9769CTA6h7A
youtube.com/watch?v=13d9kJUInE4
youtube.com/watch?v=HbzXVq9WgbY
twitter.com/AnonBabble

There hasn't been a good prog rock or metal album in three decades. Live in the moment.

Ouch

I come here for non-prog recs. Otherwise, I just jump on progarchives and dive in to some random shit. Besides, these threads tend to just become circle jerks about how much we like Pawn Hearts or some shit.

every time I post something about prog I get shit for it

Theres some prog discussion here but apart from the 7 or so big bands its a relatively obscure genre so its natural that on a board for discussing all forms of music there would be little prog discussion. Go to progarchives if you want to talk about prog

Elder's 2017 record?

gazpacho
its hard to discuss modern prog here because of wrong generation faggots like this guy

Prog was objectively better in the early seventies than the mainstream bullshit they call prog today

prog is the most interesting if you have at least a rough understanding of music theory and gets better the more you know. naturally, Sup Forums's hyper-young userbase have a pretty low collective IQ, and couldn't understand triads if you spelled it out for them.

jokes aside, there's probably just a low population of theory nerds who are also into prog and also post on Sup Forums consistently. nobody actually wants to talk about time signature changes in Yes songs.

coheed and cambria is the best alt prog band and one of the best prog bands of the last 20 years

I don't know, I know absolutely nothing about music theory and never played anything, but I still absolutely love prog.

Fucking UFO is a baller intro to an album, lemme tell ya.
Steven Wilson is still alive and kicking, user.

>There hasn't been a good prog rock or metal album in three decades.
Idiot
youtube.com/watch?v=LK8JgjNxumo

TYS is so fucking good, and SOOO fucking underrated
I love Coheed more but I love TYS quite a lot too

oh, i'm not arguing for the "you can't enjoy music if you don't know theory/play an instrument" bullshit. i'm just saying that, since prog is so hell-bent on "elevated" rock, knowing a little about theory or instrumentation can make conversations about prog more rewarding.

it's p stupid to deny that people can enjoy things without having tertiary/extraneous knowledge, but it's worth noting that the depth of enjoyment can sometimes be higher with that knowledge. (e.g. i took a survey course on architecture. while i used to love architecture, i never could respect just how much effort/deliberation/art can go into that line of work until i took that class.)

His new album sucks tho

We all hang out on /metal/ nowadays to be with your own. Have some good shit since you asked

*our
Fuck

I want to get into progressive metal.

Imagine being this wrong

progressive metal is really bad
progressive rock blows it completely out of the water
there's some good progressive death metal like later Death and Nocturnus and Cynic and some Opeth but that's about it

Yes is so cheesy

Tool - Lateralus

In the last years, shitty indie musicians have been way more progressive and interesting than any regressive rock revival band

I'm not sure how "prog" they are, even more so nowadays (Paradise Lost onwards), but I'm very partial to Symphony X.

Indie is fucking despised here what are you on about?

People saying that only 70s Prog was good are lazy dumbfucks. The fact that mentionned those bands is the perfect example because they're only popular bands.
Prog Rock took a huge hit when second-wave neo-prog became a thing because it was characterized by long and empty songs with boring solos and usually repetitive rythmic sections. So prog was (and is still) very criticized because of that, considered boring.

But nowadays with internet and everything influences and genres are heavily boosted so Prog became great again (like America kek).

I've got a lot of stuff for you man, what are your favourite bands atm?

Elder is fckin' great but that album wasn't as good as all the others, meh-tier desu.

>very partial to Symphony X
v is the greatest album ever conceived.
ever.

No.

>nobody actually wants to talk about time signature changes in Yes songs
Lol probably because we're not dorks and theres more interesting components to talk about anyway

Trust a progfag to be insecure enough to bring up IQ in a discussion about a dated genre I listened to when I was 14. Grow up nerd

>There hasn't been a good prog rock or metal album in three decades
>posts ELP
Kek

Listen to Devin Townsend and Leprous

Go listen to your sappy 4 chord songs nu-male

that's actually pretty impressive

>prog thread
>no one talks about the new king of prog

I enjoyed Pale Communion but Opeth's early stuff scares me a bit.
Will give a try.
I've listened to tons of prog rock over the years. Obscure stuff, non-English bands, lots of European artists no one on this board even knows about. As for prog metal just the basic stuff, Opeth, all of Tool, Dream Theater, Mastodon? I read somewhere that a couple of their albums are kinda prog. And all by Porcupine Tree but I wouldn't call that metal actually.

Type o negative

Newfag

there have been like 500 King Gizz threads this year because of all their albums

hey thanks this is fucking rad

>Type o negative
>prog
What

Toby Driver looks really weird in that picture.

>Live in the moment

You should take your own advice, famalam.

epic

he's right y'know
>people responding with Mars Volta and Porcupine Tree
lmao

And then atleast three have been posted so far itt but you choose to ignore them. Newfag.

I could see how one might say the prog scene was more ripe in the 70s, but no good prog albums since? That's just blatantly untrue.

My friend was added to a progressive rock discord and he was telling me about how there he had to get interviewed before being able to join to make sure he wouldn't offend anyone.
Pink Floyd or even just mentioning Roger Waters happen to be on their giant trigger list, which is pretty hilarious and ironic.

>It's a Sup Forums prog thread that uses Fragile, ItCotCK, Foxtrot, or 2112 as the OP image for the millionth time
Wew

Is there a more brainlet opinion about the genre than this?

how the fuck is this man 50?

He popped out of his mom's womb fifty years ago and has been living with access to fresh fruits and vegetables, hair care products and a pair of running shoes since.

I thought Thank You Scientists' second album was a disappointment, like it was more of the same as the first album but with less catchy/groovy sections and no real "progression" of the group as a band (which is kind of ironic because I wish that Steven Wilson would make more material similar to Grace for Drowning). I loved Maps of Non-Existent Places though.

Ah yes

(Not true by the way)

Kek

I can't stand this band's vocals
Same for Coheed and Dear Hunter

Seriously, what the fuck is with bands like Dear Hunter/TYS/etc. trying to sound like their favorite alt/indie singer?

Speaking as your polar opposite, high-pitched vocals slathered with vibrato are my fucking bread and butter: youtube.com/watch?v=6UpXjBOBQB8

Their favorite alt/indie singer being who, exactly?

The vocals are definitely the bands weakness imo.
The single style is a little too derivative and the lyrics are second rate at best.
But the songs are still there, and if I ignore the lyrical content the vocals are a good instrument layered in with the rest of the band so I can get past that.

impeccable taste

This guy really tries to sound like MJK

does this count as prog?
youtube.com/watch?v=ZcVZ3OL4YE4

That's proge aka shitty prog

Awesome

On Terras fames he does on this he sounds more like Freddie Mercury than anything

I actually like it. But I love Tears For Fears and Prince and the pop stuff he's ripping off. Definitely his weakest solo release

Have you heard Sorceress yet? I think that was a bit better than Pale Communion was

Do you only get on /mu every three months? There's a lot of prog love

Move aside, great modern prog coming through

Not the guy you were talking to, but hell naw, Sorceress was utter bullshit beside a few songs. Very repetitive and full of useless songs.

Well Opeth gets pretty boring outside certain albums from their Death period. Tools got great songs but also lots of useless tracks. Dream Theater gets shittier every album the make... Labrie is really a pain in the ass, look how great Dream Theater would be without him with Liquid Tension Experiment's example...
Mastodon is a bit controversial, some albums are shit, some are great. I feel like there's better.

If you want to dig a bit more into Prog Metal you can try Elder (actually more of a Heavy Rock/Stoner band), and also Alluvial, Indukti, Fallujah, Persefone (I don't like their older stuff tho, Spiritual Migration, Aathma and Shin-Ken are their best releases), Scale the Summit, Hannes Grossmann, Counter-World Experience, Teramobil, Shokran, Tetrafusion, Samsara Blues Experiment, Morglbl, Elvaron, Modern Day Babylon, Vitalism, Haamoja, and a lot more I'm forgetting.

First time listening and you've got me hooked

Thank you

>Indie is fucking despised here
IIIIIIIIIIIII LOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOVE YYYYOOOOOOOUUUUUUUU JEEEEEEEEEEEESUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUS CHRIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIST!

Are you on fucking bath salts? He sounds nothing like MJK on this.

I watched a little documentary the band shot before they released LaGwBaT, and I'm pretty sure he ended up being trained by the same chick in Seattle that trained Freddie Mercury. Could be wrong, but I know she's had some high-profile students. You can definitely tell how far he's evolved vocally, it's pretty uncanny.

Alright, thank you for the recommendation. I'm already a big fan of Samsara Blues Experiment and stoner in general, so I'll check these out.

>He fell for the only 70s prog is good meme

RECYCLE
RECYCLE

SHUT UP AND THINK OF SOMETHING MORE IMPORTANT TO SAY
SOMETIMES I THINK THAT IN EVERY STRAIGHT THERE'S A GAY

just checked this out, not bad but I really dislike the vocals :/
anything like this that has a different vocal style?

Something with clean vocals, you mean?

yeah exactly. I really digged the instrumentals though

harsh vocals are the ultimate pleb filter sorry buddy

try this to ease your way into the band

Steven Wilson is a really overrated artist, his first albums were about prog, now it's all money, as usual...

Is it bad to like their "Tormato" album?

Well, it's difficult to match the ferocity/frenetic timbre those kinds of instrumentals bring with clean vocals without sounding utterly ridiculous. Most bands like that just go without vocals. Here's a few you might like:

youtube.com/watch?v=12ejFJkU4kk
youtube.com/watch?v=9769CTA6h7A
youtube.com/watch?v=13d9kJUInE4

lmao corelia still hasn't delivered that crowdfunded album

Reminder that Meshuggah is the only good djent band

Which one of those was a djent band?

Also, you're wrong.

youtube.com/watch?v=HbzXVq9WgbY

This sounds like Mew with heavy guitars

It's fucking dope, isn't it? VOLA uses djent in a way I think it should be used.

Meshuggah's best albums were the ones that didn't have a djent fetish.

the first time I heard Vola it was in an ad for Line 6 Pods and the synth solo over those sweet sweet riffs was justabout the greatest thing I heard.

they literally invented djent when they released Contradictions Collapse in '91. Just listen to Aztec Two-Step and tell again they didn't have a djent fetish

They used plenty of djent, sure, but the way they composed their early albums incorporated more of those thrashy elements I loved. I also think Jens' barks sounded more pristine.

>what is tesseract
>what is animals as leaders
come on bruh

forgetting the Contortionist eh?