Is white music fucked?

Is white music fucked?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=lzt0v9roU6g
youtube.com/watch?v=VbCjb6g-bT4
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

yeah, white is done for.

If you think white music is represented by Jack White, Father John Misty, Car Rest Headseat, Arcade Fire, LCD Soundystem, Lana Del Rey or other Redditrock then sure

White music is always fucked, not news.

Jack White stopped making good music about 15 years ago

>Redditrock
oh for fuck sake

that new sound collage single he released is confusing all the normies

what is it represented by?

we are wittnessing the total collapse of capitalist civilisation into generalised schizophrenia, everything- and everyone is fucked and there's nothing you can do about it, we are all headed for the psychic meat grinder.

this

this

'white' popular music is just "lol dude whiny indie with Min7th chords, tfw no gf :(" music. Metal and Electronic music are the only genres with majority whites that still has any balls.

all of jack white's solo shit sucks though. he needs other people to challenge him or else is just more of his blues/hip-hop mashups.

metal is for children

not even trolling

>metal

There's no such thing as "white" music and you are dumb as fuck.

I think it's time for me to leave this website.
It's been fun, Sup Forums, but you're dead to me now.

See you in a couple of hours

>the problem is that it's not good
is music criticism fucked?

White people have never been good at music unless they stole it from another race

are you making a fucking south park joke?

hey autists, op is making a pun on jack white's name and mocking your own paranoia. way to fall for it, you dumbshits

spoken like someone who considers hairstyles to be crowning cultural achievements.

As if blacks haven't taken as much from whites as the two lived aside one another in the US. There has always been bilateral cultural exchange. Black gospel, and through it, blues and soul, were heavily inspired by the Christian communities of mainly British and Irish extraction in the south, for whom call-and-response was as much an original part of Gaelic culture as it has ever been for Africans. 12 tone equal temperament, instruments and technology that black didn't have before they came into contact with whites.

I looked into it more though, and the defining characteristics of the banjo definitely originated in Africa, and were only ever adapted by whites in terms of construction (eg fretboards, and constructing them with tone rings akin to drums instead of gourds). So there's that, I guess.

>I looked into it more though, and the defining characteristics of the banjo definitely originated in Africa
diaphragm with string over it, that's it. that's not a banjo.

I left months ago and just came back for shits and gigs but when I read those posts I realized I'm a better person and a better music listener for not coming on here anymore

t. nu-males

i love how hard this is triggering redditors who came to Sup Forums within the last couple years and are realizing they aren't wanted

please go if you like any of those bands. you are the cancer that ruined this forum because you have to spend all your time Stan-tanoing instead of bringing interesting music here

Indie (even by whitewashed 'people of color') is fucked thank god

spbp

God I hate father john misty so much. He keeps coming up on autoplays fro m different websites. His music is so lack luster. It's ironic it's lyric based music when the lyrics are some of the worst.

>Not liking Arcade Fire sans Everything Now
>Not liking LCD Soundsystem sans American Dream
what the fuck, do you even like music at all?

>white music
Rock n’ Roll was made by Chuck Berry
>Chuck Berry was black.
Now Alternative Rock’s roots are in Lou Reed(The Velvet Underground), David Bowie, and Iggy Pop/The Stooges, so yeah I guess you could say it’s white music, however,
>Blues, an element of Jack White’s music, was founded by black people.
>While it is a less obvious element, so is hip-hop.

Electronic music is mostly effeminate

We're already in it amigo

>liking Arcade Fire
tell me about your favourite wes anderson flick, you excuse for a man

American Dream is at worst their second best album

nah, just Jack it seems

>grouping arcade fire in with lcd trashsystem

White people fuck themself and comit intellectual suicide with all this white guilty, feminism, pedophilia, inferior complex and soyish.

first meme rap and now this

When did he start?

Good bait

I still think Blunderbuss is great desu, some really beautiful songs on it. Lazaretto was really mediocre and the Stripes went downhill after De Stijl though

As someone with experience playing the banjo, guitar, cello, trombone, tuba, I've never seen any analogue to the short thumb-string on a 5-string banjo, or the method of playing it, in pre-existing European instruments.
The drone string on the African Akonting is directly comparable, and played in much the same way (if albeit in a more rudimentary way).
Correct me if I'm wrong, if there actually existed a similarly played short drone string on historic European instruments, but the Akonting seems to be a far more likely predecessor to the banjo in that respect. as for having a (skin) diaphragm as the resonator, again it would seem to be directly descended from the Akonting. Not that the idea is particularly innovative, and within Europe, with its humidity, it obviously made a lot more sense to make soundboards out of wood or metal than unstable hide, but regardless of the innovation required, again, that seems to be directly descended from the African instrument.

I'm a European ethnocentrist, sure, but I don't see any need to detract from other peoples' cultures to bolster my own, or disempower others to empower my own. That kind of logic is dyed-in-the-wool progressive and I'll have nothing to do with it.

As someone with experience playing the banjo, guitar, cello, trombone, tuba, I've never seen any analogue to the short thumb-string on a 5-string banjo, or the method of playing it, in pre-existing European instruments.
The drone string on the African Akonting is directly comparable, and played in much the same way (if albeit in a more rudimentary way).
Correct me if I'm wrong, if there actually existed a similarly played short drone string on historic European instruments, but the Akonting seems to be a far more likely predecessor to the banjo in that respect. as for having a (skin) diaphragm as the resonator, again it would seem to be directly descended from the Akonting. Not that the idea is particularly innovative, and within Europe, with its humidity, it obviously made a lot more sense to make soundboards out of wood or metal than unstable hide, but regardless of the innovation required, again, that seems to be directly descended from the African instrument.

I'm a European ethnocentrist, sure, but I don't see any need to detract from other peoples' cultures to bolster my own, or disempower others to empower my own. That kind of logic is dyed-in-the-wool progressive and I'll have nothing to do with it.

Skrewdriver, Fanisk, Konkwista 88

>be retard with no argument
>cop out and post a photo of a fat neck beard pretending it's user

what is it with Sup Forums's obsession with soy?
it must be exhausting, having to worry so much about liking certain kinds of music because you don't want to be a frilly soyboy.

>be retard with no argument
>cop out and post a photo of a fat neck beard pretending it's user

Balalaika and other near east string instruments?

It's accurate

The Balalaika's strings are struck down on rather than plucked. They share that with the clawhammer technique, but if you watch them they're very different motions. With the balalaika, there's a lot more hand movement and rotation on the wrist and they hit the strings on the upstroke. With clawhammer banjo, the hand/wrist movement is more controlled, and the thumb acts separately, acting as a stop on the 5th string (or another if drop-thumbing), which is then played, often in a syncopated manner.
The balalaika, the oud etc, they don't have a short thumb string, plus at the time of the inception of the banjo, the Americas weren't populated with Eastern Euros, Turks, or Arabs (all of whom would come much later).

It's also worth learning the origin of the banjo. Minstrels, who made entertainment out of taking the piss out of darkies, wanted to include music in their performances. They're really responsible for bringing early banjos to white Americans, and they will have done so because of the instruments closer association with the blacks they impersonated as compared to a guitar. Over time, other Americans of European extraction, as Europeans are wont to do, couldn't help themselves but take the banjo too seriously and innovate upon it.

youtube.com/watch?v=lzt0v9roU6g
youtube.com/watch?v=VbCjb6g-bT4