Acoustic era vs electric era

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=GAJB925yR8o
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

poopacoustic era is my personal haterite

electric era

how could having more sounds to create and be able to choose from possibly be considered a bad thing for music?

Second acoustic quintet > electric > first acoustic quintet

doo-wop hip hop era > all

Electric, everything from In a silent way up to Grand Magus is some of the best and craziest music ever recorded. I still like his acoustic stuff a lot but it isn´t on the same level for me.

Dark Magus* fuck me

electric
jack johnson complete sessions>>

Electric fusion. That is always the answer when it comes to Jazz.

Plus A certain lad played in the electric era.

Who are you and why are you spamming Herbie Hancock on everything

I was sad when i found out he had an album named ''Mr Hands''

>how could having more sounds to create and be able to choose from possibly be considered a bad thing for music?
Have you heard his 80s stuff? I mean I like the 70s albums, but this is a dumb question.

>I was sad when i found out he had an album named ''Mr Hands''
it's a great album tho
youtube.com/watch?v=GAJB925yR8o

herbie nigga
e
r
b
i
e

n
i
g
g
a

He's merely carrying on the legacy of Herbieanon

>Sup Forums invaded by jazz plebs, and rocksists who can't into jazz

Amplification was a mistake.

explain how electric era Davis is either pleb or rockist

it's not traditionalist jazz but it's also weird as fuck

A lot of creativity comes from limitations. You might not like this analogy, but the Dogme 95 movement had strict limitations so that adherents would make more creative works and move away from Hollywood styled productions. Picasso had rose and blue periods, and Whistler has some great works that lean towards being monochromatic.

>A lot of creativity comes from limitations.
this is overstated as fuck though

pretty sure Mr Hands came out before the actual Mr Hands thing happened though

not really, post bop and avantgarde jazz are far odder. I'd argue the last album before the electric era (only acoustic instruments were used on this album), Nefertiti is what should have been on the electric albums. Bitches Brew and On the Corner are great, not a fan of In a Silent Way, Jack Johnson is rocksist as is Live-Evil and I'd argue Bitches Brew and On the Corner. They're like the albums you suggest to a rock musician to into jazz, but they stick around there when they can't into traditional jazz. The 70's live albums are also okay, but Big Fun is a grab bag as are the other albums released after his retirement, though Water Babies has some good stuff. Also his fusion albums aren't really that out there, like not even compared to other in the Jazz Giants like John Coltrane.

All jazz threads have at least one user saying than fusion is pleb or "rockist". The same user who later is crying because jazz threads die soon.

>post bop
not really

>avantgarde jazz
that's pretty much still in the same spirit as the later electric Miles stuff, still far from traditional jazz and still "jazz for people who don't like jazz", i.e. Peter Brötzmann or whatever

>They're like the albums you suggest to a rock musician to into jazz, but they stick around there when they can't into traditional jazz.
No one's obligated to care about traditional jazz, just as no one's obligated to care about Mozart. You might as well say someone who prefers Stockhausen is "pleb and rockist", it makes about the same amount of sense.

>this is overstated as fuck though
Could you expand on that?

There's no nuance in saying "limitations lead to creativity", but it's taken as some sort of universal truth. You're not going to be inspired if your ambition exceeds your means. You're not going to make better music with a toothpick and a portable cassette recorder versus an orchestra. If you have ideas already, limitations mostly just get in the way.

>No one's obligated to care about traditional jazz, just as no one's obligated to care about Mozart.
I get you're point, but again only a pleb or rocksist doesn't at the very least appreciate where something came from to get there. You don't have to like it, but lack of respect shows your lack of knowledge/age

I think the point of "limitations lead to creativity" is more to do with a person trying to find ways around those limitations. It's like giving a photography student a project to shoot only in black and white, and it forces the student to focus on other techniques.
In the Miles Davis case, do you think a greater sonic palette would have lead to the modal jazz innovations?

based post

Really? Do you listen blues and ragtime too? How about negro spirituals and west African music?

Are rock fans obligated to listen to Chuck Berry and Little Richard even if they really just like post punk?

>Do you listen to blues and ragtime, negro spirituals and west african music
Yeah, I also am able to hear the european influence on Negro spirituals retard. It's not needed, but you're still a normie and pleb qt ;)

>I think the point of "limitations lead to creativity" is more to do with a person trying to find ways around those limitations.
Yeah but the thing is it's overly reductive to say that. It's not going to "lead to creativity" if you can't achieve your goals to a satisfactory degree. And not everyone needs to do student exercises to make something good.

>In the Miles Davis case, do you think a greater sonic palette would have lead to the modal jazz innovations?
You can't assume that all innovations stem from limitation. That's silly.

The original quote is:
>a lot of creativity come from limitations.