What's the best Shakespeare film?

What's the best Shakespeare film?

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Richard_III_(1955_film)
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

Kurzel's Macbeth is my favorite, but any of Kurosawa's Shakespeare adaptations (Throne of Blood, Ran, The Bad Sleep Well) would work too

Films weren't around yet in the time of Shakespeare.

Chimes at Midnight, nigga.

this

and what said.

Prospero's Books

A lovely retelling of MacBeth. One of the few films based on a Shakespearean work that doesn't feel like shit.

Thee Batman Verse Superman Tragic

Is that the guy from the matrix? The one on the train with the daughter?

You Batman Stanza Superman Sad?

I would honestly say that Ran and Throne of Blood are probably the best cinematic adaptations of Shakespeare's work ever made.

They are filmed plays, nothing purely cinematic about them.

>McBeth

but they are adaptations and good ones at that, which goes to show how versatile the original plays are

I'm not saying anything bad about the plays themselves just that the adaptations haven't introduced anything new using the film medium.

othello

The new Macbeth was trash. It was like a music video, not Shakespeare.

Macbeth
Orson Wells
Republic Pictures
(original cut with accents, not the 1950 edit)

That actually looks interesting.

Is there any true Indian kino?

BLACKED's Othello when?

it's a dynamic, stylish, and (above all else) cinematic adaptation of the play. it's not filmed theater, like most Shakespeare adaptations, and that's what sets it apart.

Throne of Blood

The director has adapted Macbeth (Maqbool) and Hamlet (Haider) as well.

>anything new
what do you mean? new to the medium itself, or the interpretation of the plays?

The lion king

>Maqbool

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Richard_III_(1955_film)

Just a heads up, most of the acclaim the film received was because of the language and setting, set in the rural and tribalistic north. Not sure how a non-native would appreciate that.

>Sup Forums Shakespeare thread
>ctrl + f "Laurence Olivier"
>no results
>mfw

Coriolanus was better

Branagh > Olivier

see

This board, Jesus Christ. Laurence Oliver is the best actor of all time with little competition

this
his Othello is GOAT

did you enjoy making me throw up in my mouth a little bit? because that's what this post did

Theater acting is different from film acting.

yes, and Oliver is better than Branagh in both fields

If he's better why is he dead?
And why did Branagh play him in a movie?

This

Everyone should watch this film, just for the experience

I've been around India, so that might help. I find it a fascinating place but their movies are almost all trash

This is my choice as well.

It's not a musical if that helps.

>ctrl + F
>"Romeo + Juliet (1996)"
>0 results

Why am I not surprised?

bollywood tier

Chimes at Midnight

This and The Lion King.

King Lear was superior

This

The Indefensible Position:

Mel Gibson's Hamlet (Zefferelli's Hamlet) is the best adaptation of Shakespeare to the big screen. Ever.

Is it though, Satan?

It is the only film adaptation that takes advantage of the capabilities of film without stepping on the source material. It is the only film that stages Hamlet's text in the ways that the scenes intend.

Example: Branagh's overwrought lump in the throat Hamlet fucks up the Hamlet-Ophelia-while-being-spied-in scene by placing Hamlet's awareness of Polonius' presence far too late.

Annother: The recent BBC Hamlet let's Hamlet get to within breath-in-his-ear distance of Claudius during the confession, while wearing hard black boots on marble in an echo chamber. And Claudius never hears him.

Zeff got these, and every other one, every single one, right.

>Oliver

>names of the swords on the guns

That was cool and the movie was entertaining

>ctrl + F
>Polanki
>0 results

>It is the only film adaptation that takes advantage of the capabilities of film without stepping on the source material.
But it's not a faithful adaptation since it only runs for 2 hours.

Correct. It's a different medium. If you want the perfect Shakespeare "on screen" it's the Richard Burton Hamlet stage play that someone pointed a camera at.

>It's a different medium.
That's not what I meant. It edited the dialogue and scenes so it steps more on the source material than Branagh's Hamlet.

Young Fishburne looks like today's Will Smith