So over the last few months or so there has been an increase in discussion of Interpol's Turn on the Bright Lights...

So over the last few months or so there has been an increase in discussion of Interpol's Turn on the Bright Lights. I remember liking it when I was like 15 or something, but on repeated listens (and as I explored more music) it kind of fell by the wayside and I started to cringe a bit at the album (and cringe at the 2000s in general).

I'm going to sit down now and listen to it again, to see if it's actually good. It is 00:54, I'll see you all in 49 minutes.

>sit down and listen to it
you have to walk around your town late at night in order to fully appreciate it

This album is always discussed. Its Sup Forumscore and a really popular album of the 2000’s.

It wasn't as discussed a few years ago. It's really come up again this last year.

are you implying the album can't stand up to a simple "sit-down-and-just-listen" test? come on son

shut up retard

good album

AND YOU GO STABBING
YOURSELF IN
THE NECK

IT'S UP TO MEEEEEEEEEEE NOWWWWWWWWWW

this ones called stella was a diver and she's always down

this

SHE CAN READ SHE CAN READ SHE CAN READ SHE CAN READ SHE CAN READ SHE CAN READ SHE CAN READ SHE CAN READ SHE CAN READ SHE CAN READ SHE CAN READ SHE CAN READ

surpriiiiise sometime
i'lllll come around

>*thisch onze called shtellah wazza dieva and she's always down

WE HAVE 200 COUCHES

STEEEEEEELLA
*dunnunununun duulololo*
STELLAAAA HAHH
*dunununu nduunuunoo*
OH STEEEEEELLA

OH LOOK IT STOPPED SNOWING

Isn't it She Can't Read?

Good meme but you're a faggot if this post was sincere

>I remember liking it when I was 15 or something
I don't think you ever actually heard it, user

Cringeworthy thread

This is what's known as denial

And what am I denying?

don't forget it has to be cold, at midnight or later, preferably with your having just been broken recently

what a huge faggot

ok well i just finished.

i guess what makes this album hard to love is its approach to production. it's so polished and poppy, although it borrows everything from the atmosphere to the melodic bass lines of post-punk of yesteryear, it's often a bit bougie to buy.

the vocal style is interesting, but the lyrics (word-salad by the most part) are pretty hit and miss, and often the sentiment is a bit overdone by the pop happening in the background (a good example of this is the coda in PDA where it basically becomes a The Killers song) or most of the song NYC.

When the band decides to get a bit more aggressive in the second half (songs like Obstacle 2 or Roland) the poor lyricism really stands out.

The New, however, shows the band at a solid balance. a lyric like "Baby, my heart's being breaking" really jogs the memory from an earlier experience-upsetting couplet "her stories are boring and stuff / she's always calling my bluff" but the instrumentation picks up.

However, very typical of the songs in TOTBL is the overwhelming poppy attitude of its pre-choruses. instead of opening the way for the solemn choruses that are usually offered, it reminds us that radio play was always in mind.

but i guess the sophomoric sadboy jams work well with teenagers, without ever delving into angst and frustration (the emotional foundations of most post-punk) the album feels like a college student making a big deal out of nothing. it's never lonely, it instead sounds like a kid in a dress shirt standing outside a night club because his crush got in and he didn't.

it's all right, just way too poppy for my taste. for every good moment of atmosphere (untitled, the new, hands away, say hello to the angels) there's always a pre-chorus there to remind you that this is a pop album at heart, or at least there's a coda to try and fill a stadium. while the musical style apes intimacy, it is never something that its lyrics offers the listener.

That OP listened to the album when he was 15

haha no i totally did man. why would i lie about something like that? are you implying this is like a secret underground album or something?

that's a shame
i really like this album, i wish you could enjoy it too

epic blogpost bro didnt read

How mad are you?

ain’t reading that shit

It's ok for what it was trying to do. Lyrics are shit, but the music is pretty solid, and sadly, the best of the band's work. Probably the most consistent for what it was. Every other album by them is very scattershot.

why would i be mad
as far as i know blogposting has always been shamed upon here

Someone explaining their initial impressions of an album is hardly a blog post. I bet you'll soon be posting in another thread lamenting the lack of actual music discussion on this board. Stay salty dude

tl;dr

not him but making a thread and an overly long post dedicated to your review of an album is a blog post, newfriend.
maybe rym might be more befitting of you.

>getting this buttmad someone didn’t like your shitpost

The absolute state of this board

This album gets quite boring. It just sounds bland tbqh. I like bass lines though

stop posting faggot nobody wants to read your fucking essay

I'm not OP, silly user.

you’re not fooling anybody

I'm pretty sure we're the only two people left in this thread.

probably

do you want to play tic tac toe

Ok I'll start

X _ _
_ _ _
_ _ _

X _ _
_ O _
_ _ _

X _ _
X O _
_ _ _

fuck you guys.

X _ _
X O _
O _ _

calm down you can play next round

X _ X
X O _
O _ _

Pleb: Interpol
Patrician: Franz Ferdinand

X O X
X O _
O _ _

For some reason you seem to really have a problem with the fact that it's got a lot of poppy song structures on it, which is true, but why is this a bad thing exactly? It's still well done poppy post-punk, the same way Head on the Door is a good album. It's got strong songwriting the whole way through and while the lyrics can be hit and miss, sonically there is usually something interesting going on that enhances the song. For example, the tremolo picked guitar that starts in the second verse of NYC. Creative bass lines are all over it and the guitar work is quite well done as well, both tonally and in terms of how the two guitars fit together.

X O X
X O _
O X _

Stalemate

shit

you guys are dull, dull, dull

>riding the L train at 1 a.m.
>got to be some more change in my life, new york careeeeeeeeeees

>I remember liking it when I was like 15 or something, but on repeated listens (and as I explored more music) it kind of fell by the wayside and I started to cringe a bit at the album (and cringe at the 2000s in general).
Same, except instead of initially liking it I had almost complete apathy.

This is retarded.

i respect your opinion user but this post reeks of pretentious "i'm too good for this album", maybe because it's a popular album? maybe it's because you listened to it and liked it when you were a teenager so you associate it with teens now. You talk about how this albums lacks emotion yet seem to disregard any type of emotion it does have. production wise it's not even that polished by the way.

i'd implore you too actually look into the history of TOTBL and early Interpol, you'll realise your speculations are wrong. I'd also recommend listening to there 3rd release "Our Love to Admire" i think the lyricism and overall experimentation would be more suited to you.

hey imback
not necessarily a problem with the structure, i think it's poppy approach is at times overwhelming, and it really highlights the weaknesses of the writing. i'm down for word-salad lyrics, but they sound out of place in these big, melodramatic sections of the music.

the musicianship is pretty good, and it's true that the bass playing is exceptional. the drumming, however, i'd argue can at times feel too hyperactive, which goes from being a really exciting point to at times feeling a bit over the top. the atmospheric guitar work feels a bit boiler-plate. interestingly, i feel like it has more in common with like beach house than other post-punk bands (which is cool) when it's on, but when it goes back into "no no wait this is a post-punk album" it feels like they just left the delay pedals on and called it a day.
i absolutely am not shooting down the album because it's popular, i was just wondering why i stopped listening to it (along with like a lot of 2000s revival bands like arctic monkeys or franz ferdinand or whatever). i don't think it lacks emotion, but i do stand by my opinion that it seems contrived at times, and i feel like the album keeps its listeners at arms' length.

>listening and discussing music is bad
im sorry
it's true, you can't say the album isn't consistent.
next time i'll just post "it was bad :^) "

it grew on me, though it paled in comparison to my teenage obsession with the strokes.

Imagine being this conceited.

It's alright, OP, good music can be catchy too, hang your fedora and go to bed.

this

I never listened to this album until a few months ago I absolutely love it now. I think it's a really good album for people who are depressed and lonely

i'm not saying that it's not catchy.
i don't think it's catchy, but that's not the point. i'm also not saying that it's bad, just that it's too poppy for me to. like when he goes "new yooork caaaaaaares" and you have these soft background vocals, it starts to feel a bit off and it takes me out of the experience, and it's totally a pop thing.