How is this their first win?

How is this their first win?

Is this just a glaring continuity error?

The glaring continuity error is there at the top - "Episode IV: A NEW HOPE". That is a retcon. The film is titled "STAR WARS", as the original theatrical edition of the film stated.

the first victory striking from their hidden base.
lrn2grammer

They HAVE won, as in past tense. It's directly referring to the events of Rouge 1

So Lucas already planned selling the franchise to Disney in 1978? Truly the genius of our time.

Well they obviously must have won some kind of victory for the Rebels to have gotten their hands on the death star blueprints

IIRC in the old EU stuff there was a different story about actual spies, it ends with the upload of the plans.

imo I don't know why they had to change it, they retroactively ruined Luke's shot by making it sabotaged and not Force magic shot. Plus the rebel spies were pretty well-done characters, and would have been better than what we got.

I'll say this though, any schene the main heroes/villainess weren't in was pretty good. That last Vader scene was badass

Why can't people spell "Rogue"?

STOP THIS FUCKING MISINFORMATION ABOUT LUKE BEING DIMINISHED YOU CUNTS. THE WEAKNESS WAS ALREADY KNOWN BEFORE THE START OF THE BATTLE AND THE ENTIRE CAMPAIGN WAS DESIGNED AROUND EXPLOITING THE DEATHSTAR WEAKNESS. ALL ROGUE ONE DID WAS ESTABLISH THAT THE WEAKNESS WAS DESIGNED INTENTIALLY YOU RETARDED FUCKING CUNT. THIS HAS NOTHING TO DO WITH LUKE. HIS FORCE MAGIC SHOT WAS A FACTOR FOR ACTUALLY BEING ABLE TO >>>HIT

Lucas pitched ANH to Disney, and they turned him down. Now they desperately bought it from him for 4 billion.

Some other questions this movie made me ask?
Why do the storm troopers go on to the Tantive IV first if Vader went on first on the other ship?
Why is Vader interrogating Rebels and Princess Leia if he just watched them escape from the battle?
Why does Leia say theyre on a diplomatic mission to Alderaan?
Why is Princess Leia on a ship in the middle of a fucking space battle?
If the plans are just a physical copy why not just blow up the whole fucking ship?
If X Wing laser fire can destroy AT ATs then why on Hoth did they use cables to wrap?around their legs?
If Star Destroyers are so easy to destroy why did they try to escape from Hoth?
Why wasnt there one of those Shield Generators around Endor?
Why did the Empire Build battle droids but then not use them every again?
How are the storm troopers so incompetent that they get rekt by a bunch of gureilla fighters in open combat?
Why didnt the empire just destroy the satellite dish?
If the death star has a nuclear mode why doesnt the Empire always use that?
If the death star can travel so fast why does it take forever to get to fucking Yavin IV in a New Hope?

This is vanilla WoW all over again

>Why did the Empire Build battle droids but then not use them every again?
They are tactical droids. They aren't meant to fight but to examine different strategies, like those from the clone wars but in huge.

Give me a sec and I can answer quite a few of these

Because, that's why.

The real question is why did she jump out of hyperspace at Tattoine.

/thread

>Why do the storm troopers go on to the Tantive IV first if Vader went on first on the other ship?
Probably a formality
>Why is Vader interrogating Rebels and Princess Leia if he just watched them escape from the battle?
He doesn't interrogate her, he straight up calls her out. Its not like he isn't completely confident at the beginning of IV
>Why does Leia say theyre on a diplomatic mission to Alderaan?
Shes trying to bullshit vader, not knowing how much he knows
>Why is Princess Leia on a ship in the middle of a fucking space battle?
She is a rebel leader. I have no issue believing she would be there under one circumstance or another
>If the plans are just a physical copy why not just blow up the whole fucking ship?
Rewatch the beginning of 4, thats exactly what they are trying to do.
>If X Wing laser fire can destroy AT ATs then why on Hoth did they use cables to wrap?around their legs?
The beach AT-ATs aren't actually the same model as in episode 5. Its canon that these ones are refered to as AT-ACTs. I'm not sure what the exact difference is, but they definitely seem weaker

>If Star Destroyers are so easy to destroy why did they try to escape from Hoth?
Star Destroyers aren't easy to destroy. The only reason they were able to destroy them in RO were purely circumstantial. The Hammerhead was only able to push the star destroyer because its engines were offline if I remember correctly
>Why wasnt there one of those Shield Generators around Endor?
They cost loads of money, and I am sure that there would be some technical issue with having a planet surrounded by a shield, project another shield onto the second Death Star. They couldn't even beam information through the one around Scarif.
>Why did the Empire Build battle droids but then not use them ever again?
You mean like the reprogrammed one that hangs with the rebels? He was a security droid, not a battle droid. He isn't made to fight in large battles

>How are the storm troopers so incompetent that they get rekt by a bunch of gureilla fighters in open combat?
Storm troopers are mostly recruited humans and volunteers. To become a storm trooper as opposed to something like a tie pilot requires very little training.
>Why didnt the empire just destroy the satellite dish?
Got me there. They probably didn't know that was the exact dish being used. Assuming most of the infantry even knew the plans were being beamed
>If the death star has a nuclear mode why doesnt the Empire always use that?
Not sure I understand this question. The death star is able to destroy entire planets, they didn't always use this in the movie because it would be unnecessary during simple weapon tests. The shot on alderaan is the first time the death star destroys a planet
>If the death star can travel so fast why does it take forever to get to fucking Yavin IV in a New Hope?
It can take a while to get across the galaxy, even in hyper space. Especially for something like the death star which is huge and probably cant use traditional hyperlanes. Its size also means that a traditional hyperdrive would never let it travel as fast as something like the milleniom falcon

They talked about getting in touch with Obi Wan in the movie...

Right? Like they've been just looking at his number but not calling. Only one of the most wise and powerful Jedi of all time, but nah. We won't bug him. I'm sure he's busy.

It was a stand alone film, the story was expanded afterwards to make more money & there are a lot of plotholes int it.

>Rewatch the beginning of 4, thats exactly what they are trying to do.
I mean in Rogue one. Why do they board the damaged ship with the plans, just blow it up.
>Star Destroyers aren't easy to destroy. The only reason they were able to destroy them in RO were purely circumstantial. The Hammerhead was only able to push the star destroyer because its engines were offline if I remember correctly
But a couple of Y Wing shoot like EMPs at a star destroyer and take it out. Thats what causes its engines to die if I remember.
>You mean like the reprogrammed one that hangs with the rebels? He was a security droid, not a battle droid. He isn't made to fight in large battles
>Still why dont we ever see these robots again?
Storm troopers are mostly recruited humans and volunteers. To become a storm trooper as opposed to something like a tie pilot requires very little training
I swear I saw some like Dark troopers and shit, arent they supposed to be elite fighters?
>Not sure I understand this question. The death star is able to destroy entire planets, they didn't always use this in the movie because it would be unnecessary during simple weapon tests. The shot on alderaan is the first time the death star destroys a planet
I mean if the death star can shoot nukes just use it now and stop waiting and end the rebellion. Why wait to destroy planets when you can shoot nukes? Just shoot one of those at the Yavin IV base.

>You mean like the reprogrammed one that hangs with the rebels? He was a security droid, not a battle droid. He isn't made to fight in large battles
Still why dont we ever see these robots again?
>Storm troopers are mostly recruited humans and volunteers. To become a storm trooper as opposed to something like a tie pilot requires very little training
I swear I saw some like Dark troopers and shit, arent they supposed to be elite fighters?

stealing the DS data sounds like a victory to me..but hey, what do I know. I just saw the fucking movie.

May the faggotry be with you neck beard.

>Obi-Wan
>wise
From my point of view; Obi-Wan was a fool on higher ground.

Is there any reason to believe that wasnt their first major victory?

>>Still why dont we ever see these robots again?
The empire is fuckhuge m8. Every model of droid isn't going to be constantly reappearing

>I swear I saw some like Dark troopers and shit, arent they supposed to be elite fighters?
Death Troopers, yea. The ones that were hanging with krennic. They are eliete

lol, are you serious?

>why do the storm troopers go on to the Tantive IV first if Vader went first on the other ship?
Fucking what?
>why is Vader interrogating Rebels and Princess Leia if he just watched them escape the battle?
>Why is princess Leia on a ship in the middle of a fucking space battle?
This is the only way that the Rogue One doesnt line up perfectly with a new hope
>if the plans are just a physical copy why not just blow up the whole fucking ship?
They want to capture Leia to find the hidden base. Did you even watch a New Hope?
>If X Wing laser fire can destroy AT ATs then why on Hoth did they use cables to wrap around their legs?
Im assuming they beefed up the AT ATs after seeing them get rekt at Scarif
>If Star Destroyers are so easy to destroy why did they try to escape from Hoth?
Literally only three Star Destroyers across all films are destroyed
>Why wasnt there one of those shield generators around Endor
Because the Emperor wanted to trap them there but you're right. That is pretty stupid
>Why did the empire build battle droids but not use them ever again?
There is no scene in the OT that would ever make sense for them to be in. You barely see the ground assault in Hoth. Sure maybe they could have been on the Death Star but this is an insane nitpick. The only place it might have made sense to have them is Endor.
>How are the storm troopers so incompetend that they get rekt by a bunch of guerilla fighters in open combat
I guess you missed the part when literally all but two members of the Rogue One squad and most of their reinforcements died fighting stormtroopers.
>why didnt the empire just destroy the sattelite dish?
They did you fucking moron they were just too late
>If the death star has a nuclear mode why do doesnt the empire always use that?
what the hell are you talking about?
>if the death star can travel so fast why does it take forever to get to fucking Yavin IV a new hope
fair point.

Do you need a "previously on Star Wars" HBO video clip recap because something about having to read is confusing you? Let's just replace the title scrawl in Episode IV with scenes from Rogue One ending with Leia saying "HOPE."

George has a bit o' the autism, it's not a stretch that he would have had plenty more ideas about his darling opus.

>Why do the storm troopers go on to the Tantive IV first if Vader went on first on the other ship?
Vader didn't give a shit about the Death Star. Getting savage in the corridor of the first ship was probably all the fucks he was willing to give.

>Why is Vader interrogating Rebels and Princess Leia if he just watched them escape from the battle?
If I had just successfully tested a planetkiller, I'd want to find out where my enemies' bases are.

>Why is Princess Leia on a ship in the middle of a fucking space battle?
They didn't hold your hand through everything, but the wrinkles can be ironed out with reasonable guesses: That's probably the cover story Bail told her to use if she was caught, seems like they were planning on dropping the Tantive somewhere along the way to try and throw off their pursuers, etc. Take your headcanon pick.

Either way, it fits Leia's character to defiantly persist in a lie right to Vader's face even after getting caught red-handed.

>If the plans are just a physical copy why not just blow up the whole fucking ship?
>If X Wing laser fire can destroy AT ATs then why on Hoth did they use cables to wrap?around their legs?
Same reason they use shitty monotone holograms instead of videos to communicate: Makes a better space opera movie. Pretend they had to make sure they didn't have a transmitter and that X-wings operate poorly in cold atmospheres so they used the A-wings.

The Rebels at Scarif were soldiers on a suicide mission. Hoth housed a major installation with logistic and support personnel too valuable or untrained to throw into combat.

>Why wasnt there one of those Shield Generators around Endor?
The shield generator they used on Endor was installed more hastily than the one on Scarif, which was an established Imperial data vault. Endor was selected for its seclusion, but it was undeveloped. They were probably just going to turn it into a minor listening post after the Death Star 2.0: Now With 100% Less Intentional Critical Design Flaws was completed.

>Why did the Empire Build battle droids but then not use them every again?
The Empire didn't build the battle droids, the Trade Federation did. Recruited and conscripted soldiers were more useful to Sidious than droids or clones because they could be influenced by the Dark Side more readily and fully. The droids were amusing voice-operated toys, the clones were consummate (if uninspiring) professional soldiers, but the Imperial military is a corrupt, terrorizing, demoralizing cesspool of the worst traits of sentient species.

At the same time, this creates its own issues, and while perfect for overwhelming large enemy forces with numbers and firepower and cowing plebs and yokels, the widespread combination of overconfidence, disenchantment and incompetence in their ranks is likely what makes them devastatingly weak to strikes by the small, elite units at the center of every Rebel victory.

Darth Vader would have sensed it hence why Obi-Wan and Yoda were in hiding.

Bail Organa was the only person in the rebellion who knew.

>How are the storm troopers so incompetent that they get rekt by a bunch of gureilla fighters in open combat?
Natural selection. Stormtroopers are any schmuck who will point a blaster at an innocent civilian in the name of the Empire. The Rebels are the survivors of those with the means and the will to fight back, including actual soldiers from military organizations with higher standards than Sheev's Heroes.

>Why didnt the empire just destroy the satellite dish?
I wouldn't want to explain to Vader that I couldn't inform the fleet in orbit that the Rebels managed to escape from my data archive on a small ship because I blew up my own satellite dish.

>If the death star has a nuclear mode why doesnt the Empire always use that?
Power containment? That was a huge issue for Starkiller Base, which used a more advanced version of the Death Star's primary weapon.

>If the death star can travel so fast why does it take forever to get to fucking Yavin IV in a New Hope?
The gravity wells of stars and other bodies have to be taken into account when travelling through hyperspace. These factors were likely a consideration in selecting the site on Yavin IV to prevent enemies from jumping directly into an ideal ambush location. While the Death Star was able to jump to the Yavin system from hyperspace, its sublight maneuvering is incredibly slow.

Obi-Wan sensed Vader's presence in IV, didn't he? I think he and Yoda were more concerned about Sheev, who was able to almost single-handedly destroy the Jedi Order after years of machinations the Jedi were oblivious to.

>first movie of a series
>name it "Episode IV"
Was George Lucas fucking high?