Don’t like old music

I know this is the ultimate pleb being filtered but anybody relate? I only listen to maybe 2 or three artists that made music before ~mid 80s

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=SQe88ybEIe8
youtube.com/watch?v=ohk3DP5fMCg
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

I don't relate, no. I also don't understand why you'd use an old pre 80s smoking advert as your image.

There's no point in listening to old music. You can find music with the same exact sound that was just made, but it will probably be in higher quality.

New music takes all the best parts of old music and filters out the bad parts

As a consequence new music is better

oh fuck no, it isn't
That's some bullshit brother
take that back right fucking now

haha typical teenager of 2018

We have drum machines and synthesizers now why would you listen to old music?

70s > 60s > 90s > 00s > 10s > 80s.

Lol ur so corny

8.9 Best New Worst Opinion

sorry but no. anyway people like what they like

Are you on crack?

>1910
>music started

When people don't respect the classics it really is a massive pleb filter to me. Or when people disregard incredible albums because they are "old." for me the 90s and the 70s are tied for the best music decades.

Out of curiosity, why do you not listen to the classic albums that influenced and created the sounds used on the records you love? A lot of the time, while sonically those albums may sound a bit primitive to you, it is compensated by extremely strong songwriting, which is usually the main reason those albums hold up and are still listened too today.

How so?

Because the 80s was godtier and the 70s were terrible

Why were the 70s terrible?

Singer Songwriter, Disco, Punk, Funk; it's all terrible. Nothing unique or interesting

Punk is the only bad genre you listed there.

And even then now that I think about it wasn’t punk primarily an 80s genre? Could be wrong though.

This statement blows. You should try and broaden your horizons

>the 70s were terrible

Peak Wire
Joy Division
Peak King Crimson (Red)
Blood on the Tracks
Miles Davis' Fusion period
Black Sabbath peak
Zeppelin peak
Bowie peak
Eno peak
Pink Floyd peak
the Clash - London Calling
Stooges - Funhouse (plus Iggy's stuff after)
Peak Can
Peak Neil Young
Devo - Q. Are We Not Men?
Peak Stevie Wonder
Peak Marvin Gaye
Peak of prog in general (Yes, Genesis, Jethro Tull and others all releasing stellar classics)
George Harrison - All Things Must Come to Pass

Please tell me again the 70s were terrible. This is barely scratching the surface btw.

The only stuff that I've really given a proper listen to from the 70s is pink floyd. I'll never deny the importance of the 70s but I definitely prefer the production quality that the 90s bought around.

Wrong

Post yours.

Lol at Pink Floyd, Neil Young and George Harrison

You realize you sound like an old English teacher or something right?

And London Calling? You have to be kidding me

10s>80s>90s>00s>60s>70s

70s > 80s > 90s > 10s > 60s > 00s

I listen to 50-70s rock and pop. As a 20 something it's hard. I blame it on being an only child so the only music I had growing up was my parents.

There is literally no reason not to listen to old music. If you don't like it, you haven't heard enough, because there's equally good and better stuff that sounds similar to stuff you like. Sure there's some modern shit that has no parallel in the past, but you shouldn't listen to exclusively old music either.

I don't really listen to any music from the 00s or 10s unless it's by veteran artists.
I don't listen to people younger than me, I guess. I don't care about what they have to say, and I can pin point their influences and intentions too easily, they don't pose a challenge to me.

I assume most of you are mortified at the prospect of aging. The sight of your decrepit parents sends a chill up your spine since you'll probably end up just like them.

If nobody younger than you has anything worth saying, then you're either too young to browse this board or missing the point.

10s > 90s > 00s > 70s > 60s > 80s

Sup buddy, calm down, I didn't really say younger people don't have anything worth saying, just that I don't care.
It's good that there are young musicicians because there are younger audiences. They're just not for me.

Aren't all humans mortified at the prospect of aging? Unless you're Highlander or something

I'm probably the biggest pleb here. I don't listen to any music that was released before 2010 apart from 1 or 2 anco albums. Gonna listen to this album now, it better be good faggot. Will update in 44min.

like 70% of my 100 music playlist is pre-2000's music.
The rest is either power metal, synthwave or old eminem
yeah, old music is pretty much easy to replicate if you have the right technological equipment, the problem is not many people make music like that today

Nah man, the 70s is when Punk was invented. You had The Ramones, The Sex Pistols, The Damned, The Clash, The Cramps, and other stuff from the mid-70s that was the first wave of Punk. By the late 70s Post-Punk took over, but more iterations the Punk genre were being made.

>Aren't all humans mortified at the prospect of aging?

Maybe not to the point that listening to music from your parents' generation makes you think of age and outdatedness.

This may be autistic but is there any way to graph the release dates of the music you listen to on last.fm?

My point is a lot of them are saying the same things musicians you like said, sometimes in better ways, and the musicians you like are just the same with musicians out of your range in the other direction. People haven't changed that much, and any differences are pretty much just your perception.

Oh, I get you now.
I don't think anons don't listen to old music for fear of aging, they don't because they're not used to older sounds.
It's like when you try to make a kid play some classic video game and they say it's shit because it's not the newest call of duty. (but then they'll play minecraft because all their friends do).
Same happens with music, they won't listen to old guitar music because it's old, but if their friends start listening to some indie lo-fi rock band, they'll be OK with it.
It's all about dat social peer pressure thing.

You're guessing way too much user.

This is pretty obvious stuff, user, people have observably been pretty much the same for a long fuckin time, and it's only going to be different if you refuse to listen to anything not about specific events from your lifetime.

I don't listen to modern music because it reminds me how I don't relate to my peers.

Look user, younger artists may be good, but I can easily see their artistic visions, I can see what their influences are, I can see what they're trying to say too easily. Call it age experience if you want.
I'm not saying they are bad, I'm just saying I'm not interested. I don't get why you react like this over a simple personal preference.

I'm not bothered, user, I'm just discussing it. I just wanted to point out that you'd probably enjoy a lot of younger artists if you opened your mind a bit, unless you think listening further back in time would spoil the artists you like now.

>Duuuuude, you there's tons of good music today, you just have to look for it!
>If you don't find it, then you didn't look hard enough.

I'm open minded, I still sample the newer stuff Sup Forums likes, and I try to check out new artists from genres I like every now and then. Again, it's not that I don't like them or think they're bad, but they just don't do anything to me. I came to the realization that I don't actively listen to anyone younger than me, but it's not that I actively try to avoid younger artists. it's just how my taste is, I guess.
Could change in the future, I'm open to anything.

Alright man, that's fair. I'm not trying to force music down your throat, to a certain extent I agree with you. I just think there's a lot of incredibly unique sounds that don't really have much precedent, like The Goslings, or even stuff with older influences from cultures you wouldn't be as familiar with, like how throat-singing was so fresh to me even though it's a pretty ancient tradition.

Name literally one album from this decade as good as All Things Must Pass. I'm serious that album is a fucking masterpiece. Isn't it a Pity is a gorgeous song and he does a Dylan song better than Dylan's version (because of those glorious slide guitars).

Let me know what you think, one of my favourite albums. Maybe not the best place to start with Cohen but still a brilliant work of art and I think you should be able to appreciate it if you have some taste. His lyrics are on par with Dylan IMO.

It was okay I guess, I don't know what I expected, kind of had it on in the background and didn't pay much if any attention to the lyrics. Diamonds in the Mine was good. Would I listen again? Maybe.

Fair enough, I'm glad you gave it a listen. Cohen is probably my favourite artist and I always pull out Songs of Love and Hate in the winter. The dark atmosphere on a lot of the songs is perfect for January and February nights in my opinion.

youtube.com/watch?v=SQe88ybEIe8
youtube.com/watch?v=ohk3DP5fMCg

My two favourite songs off of it if you wanted to pay them closer attention. It's not a big deal if you don't though, I'm just glad you gave it a shot.