What's the correct order to watch Star Wars? (including the new movies)

What's the correct order to watch Star Wars? (including the new movies)

2,1,3,R1,TFA,4,6,5, Animated Clone Wars movie

release order is objectively correct, at least for the fist viewing

for subsequent viewings, chronological order, although nobody would blame you for skipping the first 2 of the prequel trilogy

episode 4,5 then stop watching.

4, 2, 3, 5, 6, 1, 7, 2, R1

I wouldn't recommend starting with the prequels to anyone.
That said, the story goes 1, 2, 3, RO, 4, 5, 6, 7.

why 2 twice?

This, except Return of the Jedi is optional.

PATRICIAN ORDER:

RO-4-5-1-2-3-6-7

This keeps the big twist in tact for Ep. V but also keeps it feeling like actual continuity

This except watch Rogue One first. It's now the definitive Star Wars trilogy.

watch 7 5 6 skip everything else

4, 5, 6, 1, 2, 3

Anything else is a reddit meme trying to "fix" something that isnt broken

4,5,2,Tartavosky's CW fills the gap better than the new CW film,3,6 for main Skywalker storyline, then 1, R1,TFA

watch them in the order they were released.

then watch them in the order they're meant to be watched from a chronological aspect.

there's literally no other way to do it and there's so many autists who talk about other ways and it's like shut the fuck up i'll smash you up mate.

Theres something about this order.
RO and 4 go very well together,
1 2 3 would be a big flashback and sort of make us feel that some time passed between 5 and 6.
Like it

I , II, CW, III, R, RO, IV, V, VI

I agree. This may actually be the patrician order.

This, but only watch the last 1/3rd of R1

>Guide to let your child see Star Wars
4 5 6 as the original trilogy and then 1 2 3 to give background info. If your child more or less likes them aswell Clone Wars series. THE END

4, 5, 6

You can watch any of the other ones in any order. They are all parody flicks anyway

TFM>AOTC>ROTS>R1>ANH>TESB>ROTJ>TFA

>chronological order
full plebian

R1, 4, 5, 1, 2, 3, 6, 7

Yes. This is the correct order to watch Star Wars. It's a no brainer. Anyone tells you different is either an OT worshiper, a prequel hater or a Disney shill.

1 2 3 4 5 6 then stop because the rest is just a ploy by Disney to get more of your shekels.

R1

this

R1 - IV - V - VI

that's it

but the empire gets the coolest armor space ships weapons and motives the rebels suck anus its pro white

4 > 1 > 2 > 5 > 3 > 6

Episode 4: Obviously, since this was the first Star Wars film ever created, this is what should serve as your first introduction to Star Wars. It's a classic film that works both as a standalone film and as a part of a larger saga. If you're watching Star Wars for the first time and this film doesn't appeal to you, then you can easily skip the rest of the films and still get a general idea of what Star Wars is.

Episode 1: Now this might confuse you at first as to why it should be the 2nd Star Wars film you should watch, but upon hearing my explanation you should understand why. Episode 1 was primarily made so as to establish the world before the Empire existed, which is often why most people dislike it, because it has little to do with the OT. That said, this film still has a lot of importance to the world building and lore of the Star Wars universe. Episode 1 also allows viewers to better understand who Ben Kenobi was in the past, as well as showing us who Anakin Skywalker was. I feel like this is the best time to see Anakin when he was younger because a) Chances are you'll already be interested in learning who Anakin was because he was already mentioned in 4, and b) it doesn't spoil his transformation into Darth Vader, but we also aren't bored to death watching Anakin in the prequels only to know he's just going to become Vader anyway. Alternatively, you can skip this film if you only care about our main heroes in the OT, and you won't feel left out at all if you do choose to skip it.

Episode 2: Essentially an expansion of Episode 1. Really, Episodes 1 and 2 can be considered to be one long film that only serves as build-up to Episode 3. It serves the same purpose of Episode 1 (Establishing the galaxy before the Empire, showing us who Anakin and Obi-Wan were, explaining what the Clone Wars were, etc), but like Episode 1 you can skip it if you want. Still, if you want the entire Star Wars experience (Good and bad), then Episodes 1 and 2 are best viewed immediately after watching Episode 4.The only problem with viewing Episodes 1 and 2 is that it spoils Yoda's reveal in Episode 5, but personally I don't feel like it was that big a deal anyway.

Episode 5: Now we go right back to the OT, where everything is going to shit. The Rebels are on the run, the Empire is tightening its grip on the galaxy, and our heroes are running from both Vader, the Empire, and bounty hunters. Obviously Episode 5 deserves to be watched for various reasons (Such as the fact that it's often named as one of the best films ever made), the most important being the revelation that Darth Vader was once Anakin Skywalker, as well as Luke's father. If you've already seen Episode 5, then I shouldn't have to explain why it's required viewing.

Episode 3: This should be obvious. Episode 5 leaves you with many questions, which Episode 3 answers with gusto. Of all the prequel films, this is the only one that you really HAVE to watch, if only to understand why the galaxy is in the state it is in the OT, as well as showing us Anakin's downfall and the death of the Jedi Order. Watching the prequels in the order I listed them also saves you from having to endure all 3 of them in 1 go, since they are all followed by the superior OT films to act as a sort of “reward” for enduring them. Watching Episode 3 immediately after Episode 5 also keeps you in suspense until you finish watching Episode 3, so that when you finally do watch the final film in the original Star Wars saga, you a) have a much better understanding of the world of Star Wars, and b) are pumped up and ready to see how everything is resolved.

Episode 6: And now, the finale. This film helps tie everything up, and is just as important as the first 2 OT films, if not more. Episode 6 wraps everything up nicely and gives us a conclusion that just feels, well, right. It also has some of the best scenes in the OT, especially during the climax. There really isn't much else to say about this film, other than that it still holds up even to this day.

Finally, the big question: Original cuts, or Special Editions? Personally. I feel like anyone who has yet to watch these films should watch the original unaltered films, so that you can get a better appreciation for the special effects that these films were so well-known for back in the 70s/80s. Unfortunately, the original unaltered OT is more difficult to come by, but it's still not impossible. Your options are either a) the pre-1997 VHS tapes, b) Laserdisc, c) the limited edition DVD version that came out sometime in the mid-2000s, or d) downloading the “Despecialized” Editions off of the internet (Which is actually just a heavily edited version of the Blu-Ray edition, so some errors may be present). I also prefer watching the prequels in their unaltered form as well on VHS (The only downside being that Episode 3 didn't have a VHS release in the US), but Lucas didn't make that many edits to the DVD releases of the prequels, so it really depends on what you'd prefer.

As for The Force Awakens, and the upcoming Disney Star Wars films: That's really up to you. I know a good majority of Sup Forums didn't like TFA, and some even consider them to be “not canon”, but I still feel like it's worth watching at least once, just so you can see the direction Star Wars is going in now (For better or for worse).

Anyway, I hope this guide helped you get a better understanding of these films and, for those of you who have yet to watch these films, I hope you take this into consideration when you do decide to watch the entire Star Wars saga.

I've heard of the whole 451236 but never understood why, the whole flashback thing makes little sense to me since it's not actually a flashback and some bodies first time would be super confused by a sudden change in characters.

ANH
ESB
ROTJ
And you're done

Since episode 5 is the reveal that Vader is Anakin, having Anakin's fall to darkness placed there makes for a narrative sense. Gives even more of a cathartic feel to Vader wanting to see Luke with his own eyes in episode 6
It would be the perfect way to watch the series if only the prequels weren't so poor in quality

Same thing why you must've watch Escape from LA in 2013 and play MGS4 in 2014, to be patrician.

Because i fucking hate sand

Rouge 1, 4, then after Kenobi dies, watch the 2 and the Clone Wars cartoons as his flashback on Anakin, 5, 6, then before Vader dies watch 1 and 3 as his flashback. Don't watch TFA.

No autism version 1234567 fuck RO