Sven Göran Eriksson's legacy as manager of England?

Redpill me. How good was he?

6/10

Last man to get them to a quarterfinal of a WC.

always losing to portugal/10

Not English enough

wasn't he fucking whores (male) or something?

no but he was a pussy hound for sure

I mean he was clearly better than Keegan, Mclaren, Capello and Hodgson

He was unlucky with the draws at the championships. Brazil had one of their best teams ever in 2002. Portugal had a very good generation in 2004-06

Biggest mistake was letting Beckham take a penalty kick against Portugal in 2004 when he has missed the 2 previous ones he had taken + not persuading Scholes to keep playing for the national team after the 2004 Euro

He did a good job in Benfica in the 80s. If we discount Trappatoni (who did not make his greatest work in Benfica) and Mourinho, the best coach in Benfica since Guttmann

The got refballed in 2006.
I think he's remembered as a manager who couldn't get the team to play good attacking football.

>The got refballed in 2006.
>implying stepping on another player's balls is legal

I feel very sry for him for losing that final in 1990

This man is correct.

The football was quite dull though. He had the best set of English players to work with since 60s/early 70s and it was a boring to watch although less painful than these days.

It's a shame the options up front weren't better. We had to witness Heskey and Vassell and then a pre-pubescent literally who Walcott getting selected .

better or had a much better team??

That England team should have at least got to a final of something.

He was very unlucky. They got refballed in 2004 and 2006.

he kind of looks like, roy williams

Elite tier catenaccio expert. Should have won multiple Serie A titles if it weren't for heavy cheating going on from Juvenuts, and the best manager English national team ever had.

>Brazil had one of their best teams ever in 2002. Portugal had a very good generation in 2004-06

He could have easily avoided Brazil in 2002 until the semi-finals if he had been able to beat Sweden or Nigeria in the group stage.

And in 06 Portugal was the best team he could hope to face in that WC's Quarterfinals other than Ukraine, mostly because Portugal were missing 3 starters due to the Battle of Nurnberg.

It all depends if we judge him as a man in charge of a NT talented enough to win a WC but never delivered or as the least worst manager England has had in the past 20 years.

A better manager could have won the WC with that England team or AT LEAST the Euro's.

You're slightly overrating that England team.

Forget winning, they should have at least been able to reach a fucking semi-final.

The only defence that was better was probably Italy. I feel like there were a lot of good midfielders around then but there wasn't really a particularly better midfield in any national team that I can think of on paper. Of course we never really gelled into a functioning team though.

The England of the mid 00's had one of the best squads in the World.

Not really.

Team was littered with GOATs

True, but they never managed to translate it into a functional team.

he won Serie A once

great team.
Only two things I cannot see in this pic are a great keeper and a great striker. The team is stacked otherwise

>got refballed against Ronaldogal
>lose best player
>get knocked out of wc

Easily the best manager we had in the last 15 years

The best England manager in the last....many many years.

Name one England manager with better results than him. Protip: You can't.

My nan could have managed that team though.

Because she's English, right? Every other available managers would have had worse results. The only manager that would have had success with England is SAF.

>No great striker

Owen was a legit a top 10 Euro striker back then.

Rooney was probably a top 5 young talent back then as well.

Keeper I agree with though. We've had no one special since Seaman. And even he fucked up in '02.

hhahahhaha

He couldn't get lanpard and gerrard to play together

rooney and owen were elite back then,

They were only missing a GK.

Alf Ramsey, Bobby Robson
There's 2 for ya bud

>My nan could have managed that team though.

Actually he did a very good job taking England to the world cup finals in 2002. He took over when England just suffered a defeat to Germany at Wembley but after that they went on to win 5 games in a row. They even beat Germany 5-1 in Munich, one of the best wins in English football history.

I dunno man, it was a great result and all but looking back it seems more like Germany fucking up rather than us being great

Why does he have a Turkish second name?

He's got Jimmy Savilles haircut, so how'd he get a lovely girlfriend?

He unironically did an excellent job. People hype that team way too much.

>Rppmey
He was like 20 and known to buckle under pressure
>Beckham
Still good but way past his prime
>Gerrard
All through 06' he would just blast shots over the bar from 30 yards out multiple times per game. All the worship he received at Anfield clearly went to his head and he didn't get gud again until 09'.
>Owen
Crocked faggot who didn't give a shit
>Ferdinand
Too busy trying to prove what a hard nut he is during this era.
>Hargreaves
lol
>Joe Cole
Fucking lol
>Lennon
Only in the team because for some reason Beckham was the only right winger in the country over the age of 21.

Neville, Crouch, Carrick and Ashley Cole were good. Lampard and Terry were in their prime and the two best players in the team. Robinson was in goal and even Stewart Downing was at WC 06'. It was a weird time.

Reminder that they only got past Ecuador thanks to a Beckham free kick. It was a terrible squad and Sven did well. Never understood the abuse he got.

LOL says the "german"

everyone in the world knew how to make it work, just put a holding mid behind them so you play 4-3-3 so they can both bomb forward like they love to. limiting either lampard (a 20 goal a season midfielder) or gerrard (great passing+blooters) in attack is just dumb

Erik the Red

The destroyer of Englel

>Lampard and Sipply G in the same midfield.

Well, there's your problem.