Rogue One limp ending fix

Rogue One should have ended with the Death Star completely destroying Scarif. This would have been closer to the Death Star's original lore that it destroyed a planet before Alderaan, and also made the ending significantly more impactful, demonstrating the ruthlessness of Tarkin and the true power of this fully armed and operational battle station. No "one reactor" bullshit.

>Blockade Runner jumps to hyperspace
>Vader chimps out, orders Star Destroyer captain to "follow that ship!"
>Lord Vader it'll take time to calculate their trajectory
>Vader chimps out again
>cut to Leia cheesy hope line
>Back to Tarkin aboard Death Star
>Scarif is no longer neccesary, let us see what this weapon can truly accomplish. Retreat to a safe distance, you may fire when ready.

You have the worst ideas. Did you even read what you wrote before posting?

Thanks for your input, I like your arguments and you've certainly proved me wrong there

what lore? in episode 4 tarkin says "it's time to test the full power of the station" before blowing up alderaan. this movie only doing low level tests is totally consistent with that.

Episode 4 makes it clear that Alderaan is the first time they use the laser at full power

Yawn. I've already seen countless planets get blown up in scifi movies. Haven't you?

this

I have a feeling that this "original lore" is something buried in a random EU leather tapestry series you saw when you were eight like most things so I'll stick with the established thought that Alderaan was the first time the Death Star was used at full blast.

Tarkin himself said the planet-destroying power has never been tested before and Alderaan was the first

so shut the fuck up and don't try to fix something that doesn't need fixing

OP ABSOLUTELY BTFO

you got it

according the map and TFA Tattooine would have seen the planet explode.

They should have gone full Inglorious Basterds and had the Rebels blow up the Death Star themselves, and also kill Vader and Palpatine with flame projectors and a thermal detonator rigged to go off when struck by lightning.

Vader chasing the Tantive 4 as soon as it leaves makes Leia's claim of being in a diplomatic mission really silly

Oh shit whoops I'll just go kill myself

It is. The EU established that the Death Star had blown up the planet it was built in orbit around.

There's also a book where it's revealed there's a whole prototype one kept in a swarm of black holes, and the prototype is just a superlaser and a few rings of metal to sketch out a round shape.

That's why I suggested it might have been better to have some sort of a delay implied, so that Leia believes her desperate excuse is slightly more credible, in a "you've got the wrong guys" sense.

Holy crap thanks I knew I wasn't imagining things.

It was silly in the original.

If it wasn't a completely groundless claim, then think back to that scene. The Tantive IV is just chilling somewhere nonchalantly and Vader shoots it, boards it, and chokes the captain to death over literally nothing. The only way the scene made sense in the original was if Vader had seen either footage of the ship or seen it with his own, erm, "eyes".

>destroying Scarif

Whilst not atomising Scarif (or Jedeh), each Death Star controlled blast is an ecosystem ending event.

Surely you can't deny that the retcon that they just flew away from a large battle, out of the hangar of a ship being boarded by stormtroopers, makes it a nigh-on retarded excuse, rather than just a desperate one.

Him seeing video of it jumping to light speed just before he got there would have made more sense, sure. And they could have done Vader Takes Manhattan on another ship, maybe the Mon Cal one. But I'm willing to leave it aside to allow for the perversity of introducing that awesome brutality to a setting that's more associated with a much more sterile and mundane action scene.

It would be like if there was a scene in the Matrix Reloaded where someone took a giant fuck-off machine gun into the little dojo program and shot up a bunch of little kids, it's jarring to introduce that sort of thing into a space we've already come to associate with a completely different kind of violence.

From the (now non-canon) 1996 "Essential Guide To Vehicles and Vessels"

>That's why I suggested it might have been better to have some sort of a delay implied

I initially thought this as well but this is a universe in which travelling across an entire galaxy takes a few hours.

It doesn't make sense for it to happen a few days later really...

I can see why they swept all this under the non-canon rug.

>Under the direction of Tol Sivron, the Twi'lek chief scientist

Nope, can't have that in the new canon human-white-supremacist Empire.

>The Tantive IV is just chilling somewhere nonchalantly and Vader shoots it, boards it, and chokes the captain to death over literally nothing.
Vader is a space wizard, taking orders from an even better space wizard. Plus they've got spies and probe droids all over the place, and they torture people to get information.

When they detected the theft of the plans, there would be a trail of exchanges leading to Leia's ship. It didn't need to be spelled out to make sense.

-Vader did not know she was on it.
-She did not know Vader had seen it up close at Scarif.

if they were a diplomatic envoy like she claimed then there was no reason to put up resistance against Vader in the first place

that they tried to run away and fired on an Imperial Star Destroyer while attempting to flee is beyond damning

We don't know how long they were chasing them either.

Was I the only one who hoped Vader would kill all the main characters?

>there would be a trail of exchanges leading to Leia's ship
This would have been more interesting than Leia's ship neatly chilling inside a rebel ship. Blockade runners are some of the faster, more heavily armed ships the rebels had at the time, there's no reason they would keep one of them on ice.

Fuck me, I loved that book growing up. Sucks that it isn't canon

I believe one of the most popular and supported bits of speculation prior to the actual plot leaks was indeed that the final act of the film would be Vader personally hunting the main cast down.

That would really have been quite something, but they played it as safe as they could while still showing the Vader rampage everyone was expecting.

yup

It was awful fanfic, though. How do you even make a Mary Sue WMD?

you know what bugged me
ALL THE FUCKING MINORITIES
it looks like all the rebel minorites died in rogue one and by the time of a new hope all the rebels in yavin 4 were white!!!!!!

Iunno, but the suncrusher was bae

The Empre was always human supremacist with a few exceptions (like Thrawn).

If you think about it did destroy two planets. The explosion on Jeddah was so intenste that ash will block out sunlight and kill whatever planet life they had people will slownly die in agony.

Fanfic shitters bringing their IRL politics into a fun fantasy adventure.

Me too.

reminder that alderaan shot first

If Rogue One is canon now, then they sort of did. They had a lot of ships attacking an imperial archive and were partially responsible for the destruction of two star destroyers.

While exploding the entire planet was overkill, they did declare war with their actions.