In this thread I disprove the notion that pic related are the only trip-hop albums worth of anyone's attention

In this thread I disprove the notion that pic related are the only trip-hop albums worth of anyone's attention.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=Svrm4xDhc1k
youtube.com/watch?v=MSUmCLXlDgI
youtube.com/watch?v=SdtgIZwuplc
youtube.com/watch?v=3cFhXCdL344
youtube.com/watch?v=Qzs0VYTl0po
youtube.com/watch?v=bzWss6g62Fk
youtube.com/watch?v=EgVa_O4JdHo
youtube.com/watch?v=1sKdeXCymvQ
youtube.com/watch?v=OP47tGnX8fU
youtube.com/watch?v=2iGt5lfYP_0
youtube.com/watch?v=KffPYSLCchA
youtube.com/watch?v=H4sEdB1EsJE
youtube.com/watch?v=Otz237OJGeE
youtube.com/watch?v=TBNoyTJ9JLU
factmag.com/2015/07/30/50-best-trip-hop-albums/
rateyourmusic.com/list/Selenaru_Negrea/obscure_albums_that_are__on_the_fringe_of__trip_hop/
youtube.com/watch?v=V-28Wvr_5ek
youtube.com/watch?v=WUnq-_Kb1VY
youtube.com/watch?v=yxfI_yCdO70
youtube.com/watch?v=SDfJrMAMnPM
youtube.com/watch?v=2FkVzFM9h-E&list=PL9r9Avw4GyGAuiiuFoZxd9kNaBgUjNn55
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

every portishead/massive attack album is good

Lamb's self-titled features significantly high production values for it's release date (1996). Slick jungle rhythms (courtesy of Andrew Barlow) are infused with soulful vocals (courtesy of Louise Rhodes). As far as I know they didn't gain much popularity outside of Spain and some other southern European countries, quite unfortunately.

youtube.com/watch?v=Svrm4xDhc1k

Don't let the stock cover art reminiscent of boring chill-out comps fool you: Monk & Canatella's debut has been described as Portishead except more sinister and less sexier by many who heard it, in part due the album boasting a significant alternative rock influence. The title of the first track describes the sound of the whole album just about perfectly.

youtube.com/watch?v=MSUmCLXlDgI

Outcast (not to be confused with the US hip-hop duo of the same name) was the last project of seminal IDM producer Beaumont Hannant before he vanished from the music realm for unknown reasons. Quite possibly the darkest trip-hop album up until Mezzanine a good 2 years later.

youtube.com/watch?v=SdtgIZwuplc

DJ Krush is a well-known name for anyone who has ever been interested in instrumental hip-hop, but gets ignored nowadays in favor of more trendy and "chill" acts like Nujabes and the whole lo-fi hip-hop posse. The dark soundscapes on his debut release shows why he's an established name in the genre with good reason.

youtube.com/watch?v=3cFhXCdL344

I don't have much to contribute but I love some of the trip hop basics and will keep this tab open and try some of these out
Thx OP

Folks looking for "outsider" or "experimental" trip-hop should look no further than Req and his debut One, released on Fatboy Slim's SKINT records (the guy himself is a graffiti artist that happens to be a personal friend of Norman Cook). The album boasts warped hip-hop rhythms with all the atmospherics of og trip-hop and without the pretension of US illbient, in addition to some BoC-ian ambience a good two years before BoC got big with the release of MHTRTC. Graffiti artistry has never been so well expressed in music form as in pic related (and Autechre's work).

youtube.com/watch?v=Qzs0VYTl0po

Radar by Earthling has been described as abstract hip-hop due to being more vocal-driven than most other trip-hop. While the lyrics themselves might seem nothing extraordinary and in fact even cheesy when taken at face value (abstract descriptions, namedropping of historical figures, artists and poets), MC Mau's delivery, combined with Tim Saul's beats, give the whole album an almost schizophrenic feel.

youtube.com/watch?v=bzWss6g62Fk

Bowery Electric have become a cult favorite these days, but deserve a mention nonetheless. Lush shoegaze drones meet metalic pounding hip-hop beats in this lesser-known trip-hop classic (also described as first-wave post-rock by some).

youtube.com/watch?v=EgVa_O4JdHo

On the more ultra-obscure side of things there is Lisp and their only released album Cycles. Their album is just obscure enough to not show up on soulseek, which is strange given they achieved some moderate radio success back in the day, and that the bassist of Disco Inferno happens to be one of the members. Nonetheless some decently-produced alternative rock-infused trip-hop for folks seeking stuff similar to Mezzanine.

youtube.com/watch?v=1sKdeXCymvQ

Hell yeah boi

thanks for this, need me some new music

DJ Cam.

K&D sessions

This album is pretty good

Was just about to post him. Described as the European equivalent to DJ Krush, at times even exceeding him at atmospheric building. Pic related is a repress of his Underground Vibes album coming with a bonus live disc that is just about as stellar.

youtube.com/watch?v=OP47tGnX8fU

Check out Archive

great picks

Yeah, nice.

Where's UNKLE?

Good recs.

Some additional stuff that has cult following but escapes most people when they talk about trip-hop:
Sneaker Pimp - Becoming X (alt-rock infused trip-hop with female vocals, their only one to have them)
youtube.com/watch?v=2iGt5lfYP_0

Wagon Christ - Throbbing Pouch (Luke Vibert alias so you know it's gon' be gr8)
youtube.com/watch?v=KffPYSLCchA

Bows - Blush (jungle-infused orchestral trip-hop, side-project of Luke Sutherland of Long Fin Killie)
youtube.com/watch?v=H4sEdB1EsJE

>trip-hop interests me

I think Psyence Fiction is somewhat popular due to being associated with DJ Shadow. Though it does fall into the same category as .

Solex, even though a plunderphonics artist, features some sounds and elements reminiscent of (actual) trip-hop. Odd she isn't more popular around these parts despite having Scaruffi's blessing.

youtube.com/watch?v=Otz237OJGeE

t.

Yeah and Thom Yorke
I think that track Be There is good though
The music was interesting as well, remember seeing it on MTV during the 90s

Thanks for this, OP
If you could put all of these together on a single image that'd be great too

The Mo Wax Headz compilations might seem bloated at first but are still worth getting for discovering some lesser-known trip-hop acts, as well as phenomenal exclusive tracks such as the Special Forces track below (Photek alias). Absolutely essential as far as 1st wave/og trip-hop goes.

youtube.com/watch?v=TBNoyTJ9JLU

In a couple of minutes, sure.

Pride is a sin.
*tips fedora*

bump

Almost done with chart.

Done.

A couple I forgot to add (e.g. Polydistortion by GusGus), but then again I'm not doing a complete list of all good trip-hop albums. Folks who want more stuff should try digging into the genre by themselves.

factmag.com/2015/07/30/50-best-trip-hop-albums/
rateyourmusic.com/list/Selenaru_Negrea/obscure_albums_that_are__on_the_fringe_of__trip_hop/

Heres another phenomenal one. This one is more of a melting pot when it comes to trip hop, as there is a lot of DnB, soul, and shoegaze sounds in it as well.

I was just about to post this one. Highly recommended

Nr 9 is a fantastic song

bumping good thread

I know he's not 100% considered trip-hop but nonetheless a fantastic artist.

My favourite: youtube.com/watch?v=V-28Wvr_5ek

Because of the variety of samples used this album is not uniformly trip-hop, but Midnight in a Perfect World is undeniably a trip-hop track, only an autist would argue otherwise

this one too

>Grantby - Time Booth EP
this is insane
youtube.com/watch?v=WUnq-_Kb1VY

Thoughts on Death in Vegas?

This one is absolutely essential, by the way

Check out Orelha Negra, they have 3 s/t albums - hate that - their debut is the best but there's some great tracks on the other two
they're basically a supergroup, best portuguese DJ, best portuguese bassist, best portuguese 'electronics player', along with great keys and drums

im a bit of a triphop fan but i dont like any of these albums

this one is good

also anything by pic rel

do you mean the albums in the op or everything posted itt

what is your pic? google image search returns nothing

Six Underground is a great song

Here's a good one I've been listening to lately. Not sure how often they're discussed but it's a pretty good album.

I'm digging this, thanks

fun fact: portishead recorded a tribute for them as a b-side to one of their singles

best thread on Sup Forums in a while

any of their other albums good?

bonobo is brotempo

yes

Krush is king

I had the OG underground vibes lp and my fucking dog ate it when she was a puppy

yes

Thievery Corporation
Toshinori Kondo is a trumpeter who collaborated with DJ Krush and also Bill Laswell to great effect
Little People - Mickey Mouse Operation
Long Arm - The Branches
Diplo - Florida
Blockhead - Cavelight
Cross My Heart Hope To Die

good thread

I believe I have identified the first trip hop song:
youtube.com/watch?v=yxfI_yCdO70

anyone got anything earlier?

can - future days m8

youtube.com/watch?v=SDfJrMAMnPM

youtube.com/watch?v=2FkVzFM9h-E&list=PL9r9Avw4GyGAuiiuFoZxd9kNaBgUjNn55 (whole lushlife album)

bump

quality fucking thread

check out radio retaliation by thievery corporation