IDM

>IDM
>Intelligent Dance Music

What exactly about Aphex Twin and Squarepusher's music is "intelligent"?

It's cerebral dance music opposed to the 'body' dance music (Hacienda, Ministry of Sound, etc) that dominated in Britain throughout the late 80s to early 2000s

it's a stupid term. It's electronic listening music mostly, sometimes with 4 by 4 beats you can dance to. hence "intelligent" dance music cause it's not solely made to dance to like edm. It often has nice atmospheres and some more intricate rhythms. That's all

>it's a stupid term.

This. "IDM" was a term invented by journalists, and the progenitors of the genre like Aphex Twin and Squarepusher fucking hated it because it was an indirect insult to the musicians who were their biggest influences.

I prefer to think of IDM as meaning "intricate dance music" because 1) it's more appropriate and 2) it's not arrogant and wanker-ish.

Have people been butthurt about this for over 25 years now?

If you don't get it then maybe this music isn't for you. But don't worry there's plenty of EDM out there for your small mind to comprehend.

computer makes bleep bloop, computer is for smarts u monkey

or IDM introverted dance music and EDM extroverted dance music

everyone hates that term

IDM basically just means digitally-produced music that sucks for dancing--which is weird cuz it's literally got "dance music" right there in the name. At the time, pretty much all electronic music was designed for clubs and for dancing. So "dance music" and "electronic music" meant basically the same thing. IDM meant like "this is dance (read:electronic) music, but it isn't for grinding on someone."

We have enough interest and activity in digitally-produced music now, though, that instead of distinguishing electronic music that isn't for dancing by calling it "IDM," we distinguish the stuff that definitely IS for dancing by calling it "EDM."

So, is the genre name braindance any better?

cause it's made by and for highly cultured intellectuals like myself. Each snare roll coincides with my racing train of thoughts that I can't calm down unless I put on some good old Aphex. Now excuse me while I go polish my 400 dollar Drukqs vinyl.
nah but for real, it's just good music with nice varying beats and melodies. You never know what you're in for next and that makes it fun. Each track can be completely different

it's supposed to allude to the idea that you dance to it with your mind rather than with your body. it's really shittily-conveyed though

>electronic listening music
this is supposed to be a good term?

Lol no

Just call it producer music

As opposed to music that hasn't been produced?

better than idm at least

It's more detail-oriented than regular dance music. More analytical people tend to be more interested in detail-oriented music. More analytical people are generally considered more intelligent. Understand?

It means EDM people do too much molly.

I just like to call it experimental dance music.
If I tell people I listen to IDM and they ask for me to elaborate, I always feel fucking embarassed because I have to explain what it stands for, and then they automatically think that I'm trying to be a superior human being. I'm stupid as shit, but I like INTELLIGENT dance music

ikr. I just say that I'm into "electronic music". They probably don't even know there's such a thing as idm. They must think I'm listening to generic edm all day. oh well, better than having them shit all over me at least

it is just "electronic music" with a redundant word crammed inside... IDM is a bad name but even it might be better than that

it's bleep and bloops for prog-fags

progtronica

sort of...

squarepusher is the prog wankery of dance music

prog rock for introverted people who can't play guitar

Nah it's more like the post-punk of electronic music

it's the IDM of music